Bailey Ranger 460-4. Correct Tyre Pressure

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Following on from my last post re Blowout, I’m now totally confused by what should be the correct PSI:

Tyres say 44
Service Book 42
Van Plate 55

Any advice welcomed. Thanks.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
without knowing exactly what tyres you have and all the relevant markings on the tyre, and the weights of your van it is not possible to give a figure.
Tyres can have different figures for different scenarios, however if the tyre is marked as max 44 then it would not be sensible to exceed this figure.

I would go with the service book figure of 42

https://www.tyresafe.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/caravan-leaflet.pdf
Have a look here and match your details with the chart.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fithawk said:
Following on from my last post re Blowout, I’m now totally confused by what should be the correct PSI:

Tyres say 44
Service Book 42
Van Plate 55

Firstly the tyres may not be the correct ones for the caravan. As for the service book and plate being different. That's a puzzle. Does the plate have the chassis number that matches the chassis number on the windows and the plate in the front locker? If it does I would get in touch with Bailey to ascertain the correct tyre specification and tyre pressure.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
otherclive said:
Fithawk said:

Tyres say 44
Service Book 42
Van Plate 55

Firstly the tyres may not be the correct ones for the caravan. As for the service book and plate being different. That's a puzzle. Does the plate have the chassis number that matches the chassis number on the windows and the plate in the front locker? If it does I would get in touch with Bailey to ascertain the correct tyre specification and tyre pressure.

Good suggestion but you cannot even be sure Bailey will get it right.
We took out Peg 462 for service a couple of years ago and there was an identical caravan sitting in the yard, However the side label gave the wrong size of tyre but the right pressure. When we got home I looked at the (old) Bailey spares web pages and found the spare tyre they list for our caravan was the wrong size.

I immediately phoned the dealer who stopped the owner taking his caravan away and they then contacted Bailey - as did I. I got a mail a couple of days later to say it was a mistake on behalf of their wheels/tyres supplier in terms of the ratings they had applied. They corrected the web page, instructed to dealer to change the tyres (foc) and increase the pressure and sent a corrected side label.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Woodentop said:
otherclive said:
Fithawk said:

Tyres say 44
Service Book 42
Van Plate 55

Good suggestion but you cannot even be sure Bailey will get it right.
We took out Peg 462 for service a couple of years ago and there was an identical caravan sitting in the yard, However the side label gave the wrong size of tyre but the right pressure. When we got home I looked at the (old) Bailey spares web pages and found the spare tyre they list for our caravan was the wrong size.

I immediately phoned the dealer who stopped the owner taking his caravan away and they then contacted Bailey - as did I. I got a mail a couple of days later to say it was a mistake on behalf of their wheels/tyres supplier in terms of the ratings they had applied. They corrected the web page, instructed to dealer to change the tyres (foc) and increase the pressure and sent a corrected side label.

That’s frightening and really raises concerns over their quality assurance and control. But having been reading of recent cases where axles have been “relaxing” on caravans with low mileage I came across one thread which claims that one model range were in excess of MRO such that Personal Payload was almost zero. But of course the owners went by the weight plate.

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
An update. My Bailey dealer said “If the plate says 55, that’s what it should be” I’ve also contacted Bailey direct and await an answer. Fast loosing confidence in Bailey. I’ll update further when I get the Bailey direct response. At this time, I’m going with the Service Book psi. Thanks for all your comments so far.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fithawk said:
An update. My Bailey dealer said “If the plate says 55, that’s what it should be” I’ve also contacted Bailey direct and await an answer. Fast loosing confidence in Bailey. I’ll update further when I get the Bailey direct response. At this time, I’m going with the Service Book psi. Thanks for all your comments so far.

As a cross check use the chart that Damien -Moderator supplied above. That's based on load index, trailer weight etc so will give a confidence check.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Fithawk..........what is specification of the tyres currently fitted to your caravan?
The specification will be displayed on the tyre wall.

The readily available specifications states a typical reinforced tyre for your caravan would be ....185/65 R14 LI 93N
If so the pressure would be around the 42psi mark.
If the tyres are 185/70 R14C LI 98 light commercial tyres then the pressure would be around the 55 psi mark.

It is really important and a safety issue to know the type of tyre you have fitted.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fithawk said:
Thanks for that. They are 185/65/14. 86H.

With an 86 Load Index max caravan weight would be 1060kg. Which I guess is well below your MTPLM isn't it? Probably below your MRO too. If thats correct someone has put under rated tyres on the caravan which would be a safety hazard and illegal.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fithawk said:
OMG! MTPLM 1208. MRO 994. Back to the tyre fitter! Can’t thank you enough for your help.

In my experience tyre fitters don't really understand caravan tyres so if he just fitted two tyres of the same specification as came off then he's really not at fault. It could also explain your blowout if the old tyres were the incorrect specification. Don't forget to ensure that the spare is the correct specification too.

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
The old tyres were fitted by Bailey, so very much doubt they were wrong. The same for the spare that that hadn’t been used. Thanks for your comments though.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
As others have suggested, the pressure marked on the tyres is the maximum for that tyre. You must also take into account the max loading. I strongly suspect that the tyres are totally wrong for your caravan. I had this done to me not that long ago when I was younger and not so wise. I bought a caravan from a main and supposedley reputable dealer and took the caravan in for a service about 10 months later. During the day I received a phone call from said dealer saying that the service was done but they were arranging for three tyres to be fitted at a cost of £xxx. Upon questioning them I was told I had the wrong tyres for the van and they were illegal. My answer to them was "Fine, but you are paying for them. You sold me that caravan with those tyres 10 months ago," They hadnt a leg to stand on and duly paid up.

I dont suspect they actually fitted the wrong ones, probably the previous owner as it was a trade in, but it says very little for the quality of the pre delivery checks that they carried out. I learned much that day.

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi Fithawk I had a quick look at my service book which covers all the ranger series including the GT range
it quotes tyre size for 460/4 185/65 R14 LI 93N TYRE pre at 55 psi / 3,75 bar. same for the GT
Hope this helps

May 24, 2014
Visit site
As a guide, I have just checked mine against handbook and plate. Different caravan but could give you some pointers.

On the tyre - Max Pressure 70PSI. Plate and book specify 59PSI for lower MTPLM and 64PSi for higher or max MTPLM. Load index is 102 or 850kg per wheel.
My plate also specifies torque of 88NM. Book states this is for steel wheels and 130NM for alloys. No mention of 130NM on plate.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If Fithawk is going to have to fit new tyres then the recommended arrangement these days is for the tyres to take MTPLM+10% so on his caravan it would be 1208 MTPLM + 10% = 1329kg total loading. So tyres with an individual load capacity of 664kg would be in the right area. Which would be Load Index 93 which gives a maximum tyre load of 650kg. In the right spot with the two tyres taking up to 1300kg nearly 100kg above the caravans MTPLM. Going too high on LI can lead to a harsher ride if the caravan isn't loading the tyres adequately and then deciding on what pressure to run them at requires to be addressed.

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Got this reply from Bailey today:

- Caravan built 08/09/2008 making it a 2009 model.

- I have the 2008 model year service handbook at 42psi that was advised for tyres rated at 185/65 R14 93N at that time.

- However, 2009 Ranger 460/4 caravan originally fitted with tyres of the same rating should have the tyres inflated to 55psi as indicated on the weight plate.“

Maybe Bailey should have made the above a bit clearer..........somewhere?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts