Bailey S2 Valencia Axle Loading

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Have anyone had issues with Alko axle fitted to this van? The mtplm 1497kg which is on an axle rated at 1500kg. the S3 Valencia has a mtplm 1493 with an axle rated at 1550kg. My issue is that the the offside tyre is nearly touching the inner wheel arc, I have been told by Alko it is probably due to overloading? I have been caravanning for nearly 25 years and I am very particular about what I carry in the Caravan. I load my car with all the heavy items and have nothing traveling of the floor of the caravan. Any comments will be appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ingy,
You don't tell us how old the caravan is sot it is possible the suspension unit has started to fail. We obviously can't see or inspect the van personally, so I suggest you get it looked at by caravan service either mobile or workshop, so they can identify what has happened.

Whilst Alko will specify a maximum static weight for the axle load, you need to understand that whilst towing the dynamic effects of acceleration , breaking and any bounce as the caravan moves over bumps places considerably more load on the axle than the stated static value. Alko is fully aware of this and will have designed enough margin into the axle design and strength to handle these dynamic loads, So you don't need to be concerned about the 1497 to 1500 difference.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again,

Thank you for your reply,

It would be very unusual for such a young suspension unit to fail, but never-the-less that does not mean it may not have a fault, or been damaged, so my suggestion of getting it checked still stands. Only when the facts are established can you decide what to do about it.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.........you may not be aware but Alko recommend that the weight of the caravan is removed from their solid rubber suspension system when the caravan is not in use.
This is to allow the rubber to expand to its natural position and not to be permanently compressed.
In practical terms this means raising the caravan wheels off the ground by the use of axle stands.
Because of the work involved it is very rare for anybody to do this.
I actually do put my caravan on axle stands at all times when not using it :eek:hmy:

The difference in to the ride height of the caravan has to be seen to be believed after the suspension has been rested in this way.
This would only be noticeable to someone adopting Alko's recommendation.

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi, this is the first time I have heard this. I rally virtually every weekend (at least 30-35 weekends a year) to do this would be a nightmare. Where does this say this in Alko literature?? Thanks for you comments.
Regards

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Ingy31 said:
Hi, this is the first time I have heard this. I rally virtually every weekend (at least 30-35 weekends a year) to do this would be a nightmare. Where does this say this in Alko literature?? Thanks for you comments.
Regards

.........yes I did write that the practise is uncommon and I agree that with your usage it would be impractical.
I don't think Alko now mention this recommendation in their current literature probably because they now universally fit shock absorbers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts