Bailey Senator California

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 13, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Von Ryan.

We took delivery of our new California in March - no issues on delivery or since. In fact I think it's the best van I've ever owned!! Given that every van is a compromise I think this design is the perfect compromise.

Although we thought the lack of a drawer above the fire was a big mistake by Bailey we have now got used to this by putting a wooden cutlery tray in there - easy to pull out, held in place when travelling because there is a slight lip to retain it, and can be taken out easily if required, eg to the awning or to clean. Managed to find one to exactly match the Senator woodwork.

Given all the kit that comes with it, I think it's good value too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Von Ryan.

We took delivery of our new California in March - no issues on delivery or since. In fact I think it's the best van I've ever owned!! Given that every van is a compromise I think this design is the perfect compromise.

Although we thought the lack of a drawer above the fire was a big mistake by Bailey we have now got used to this by putting a wooden cutlery tray in there - easy to pull out, held in place when travelling because there is a slight lip to retain it, and can be taken out easily if required, eg to the awning or to clean. Managed to find one to exactly match the Senator woodwork.

Given all the kit that comes with it, I think it's good value too.
Hi Alistair,

The Series S6 Burgundy had the drawer above the fire and that was fine, I feel that Bailey have had complaints in respect that the drawer when left open get's hot or when the door is open the ice cream is not solid enough or the ice for the Gin melted while being mixed in the drawer compartment! Or it could be it's such a funny shape that they could not be bothered!!!!!

Any way as in my previous e-mail a good friend is a carpenter and has taken all measurements and is building a new drawer this weekend. (Bailey If the drawer has been removed because of a ventilation problem or Health and Safety reason could you please let me know!)he said originally that it was a easy job, but now he say's he likes a challange and will be a Rolls Royce job, I really hope not, as much as I liked Rolls Royce they are now a bit like BMW, over priced, over here and over rated!!! He He!

Many Thanks

Von Ryan

Oh If I have offended any BMW owners, please don't bother sending a e-reply as I won't respond! Save your time and power.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Vonryan

Did you fit the Rhino mover yourself as this is the one i fancy even though you need to activate from both sides this is not an issue with me.Glad to hear everyone getting on ok with there California we have settled in nicely now but added a memory foam topper to the bed as suffer with my hips so much soffter now.Have put a rearveiw camera on wireless from Maplins works a treat i leave on all the time so can see directly behind me.I have alltered slightly the angle of the tv mount so it points into middle of room more makes it easier to see from nearside front seats .

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Nearing the end of our first season with the new California one weekend and 5 more days at our favourite cl then away for the winter.Next time you are in your vans have a look at the warderobe doors and tell me if you have 2 diferent doors i have one with a flat edge and one with a rounded edge maybe a reason but cant see one.Had a Rhino Charger mover fitted with a cross activater made life easier as getting older cant fault it,use a 40 amp solare panel on site so soon puts back what it has used .Well hope all you new owners are still happy with your vans as we are and look forward to pastures new next year.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Nearing the end of our first season with the new California one weekend and 5 more days at our favourite cl then away for the winter.Next time you are in your vans have a look at the warderobe doors and tell me if you have 2 diferent doors i have one with a flat edge and one with a rounded edge maybe a reason but cant see one.Had a Rhino Charger mover fitted with a cross activater made life easier as getting older cant fault it,use a 40 amp solare panel on site so soon puts back what it has used .Well hope all you new owners are still happy with your vans as we are and look forward to pastures new next year.

Jun 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi Billy,

I can confirm that the flat wardrobe doors have square edges (like the kitchen one) and the curved doors have a rounded corner (like the bathroom cabinet/overhead lockers).

We have had 4 weeks away in ours over the summer (plus numerous weekends) and are extremely pleased with ours. Apart from a few minor niggles- stcky door lock and front centre window needing replaced, we can't fault it. The fixed bed has transformed our caravan experience for the better- and we have 2 young kids!!

Can't wait to try the van over the winter months- new year in Scotland is always cold so the onboard water tank will be a blessing.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Al

Glad you finding it ok sorry to hear about your problems but trust they were sorted ok.Van should be excellent for winter vanning as fitted with ventilation boards on front and rear beds should help eliminate any condesation. Glad to hear you got doors same as well we off this weekend to our favourite CL for a spot of fishing hope weather stayus ok.

Billy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts