bailey senator series 5

Sep 4, 2005
Visit site
we are keen to purchase a Bailey Senator and like the Louisiana and Wyoming but also like the smaller Indiana. We have visited 7 dealers in the past two weekends and looked at many options but always come back to the Bailey and the three vans above. Does anyone own one of these vans and seek their opinion.

We could write a book on the 'salesmen' we have come across. I appreciate that at the end of the day it is our own 'gut' preference but it would be good to hear from someone who actually has one of the above. Thanks. Beryl

RJC

Jul 6, 2005
Visit site
Beryl

We have just returned from a fortnight in our series 5 Wyoming. We found it to be an excellent van and have absolutely no complaints.

The fixed double bed is heaven and the layout for us is wonderful, however there is only the two of us and we could therefore use the front as a "lounge" with the rear a separate bedroom and bathroom.

If you intend to use the van with a family the Louisiana might be better given that it has the central bathroom.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I would be happy to answer them.

Cheers

Richard

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Beryl; we have just bought a Senator Oklahoma; admidetly 2nd hand but in pristine condition. We had already decided on a Bailey Senator and whilst we are still new to it, we find that it's a beautiful caravan for 2 people. By having the fixed double bed, one can have a lay-in whilst the other can use the 'living room' in comfort; listening to Classic FM :)

Yes, we think it's a lovely caravan.

John

Sep 14, 2005
Visit site
Beryl

We are new to caravanning and have just taken delivery of first caravan a Louisana, we are very pleased with it, after looking for 3 months and all makes including imports it made the most sense, we use it as a 2 berth but if friends want to join us it is ideal with the seperate loo & shower etc. We did compare with other makes and personally cannot see where they can justify higher prices for less equipment as standard and in a lot of instances poorer build quality. Some of the dealers questioned our sanity in going for new as our first van, our choice has not been coloured by previous experience but on what we wanted in a van, it was our first choice out of all that we had seen but despite this we checked out all other models to make sure and kept coming back to our 1st choice. Whatever you choose I hope you enjoy it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've got a new Louisiana and delighted with it.

Only small niggle if you could call it one is the on board water pumps noisy.

I would prefer not to have the on board water tank and the space instead although we still have empty lockers.

Great Vans

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

I took delivery of a series 5 vermont at the end of August. Went away for the holiday weekend and have just had a week in York. Vnas grate apart fromn the cutlery tray (thats what they call it) falling apart. I have no problem with my pump other than the water level guage comes on very early. I think its been put to near the top of the tank. The pump itself is not noisy. On the whole I feel that the build quality is far better than my last Vermont(2000). Going back to Beryl dont forget the Series 5 have just been intoduced in June the older models are finished differently although the basic layouts are the same.

ColinB

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

I took delivery of a series 5 vermont at the end of August. Went away for the holiday weekend and have just had a week in York. Vnas grate apart fromn the cutlery tray (thats what they call it) falling apart. I have no problem with my pump other than the water level guage comes on very early. I think its been put to near the top of the tank. The pump itself is not noisy. On the whole I feel that the build quality is far better than my last Vermont(2000). Going back to Beryl dont forget the Series 5 have just been intoduced in June the older models are finished differently although the basic layouts are the same.

ColinB
John Watson

I was told my van would be delivered week 29 it came week 34. But the dealer failed to tell me. The Bailey help line were very helpful and kept me up to date.

ColinB

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
John G

Sorry I've not got back to you earlier as far as I aware week 51 means week commencing Monday 19th December. Have a Happy Christmas

ColinB

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
John G

Sorry I've not back to you earlier but as far I know week 51 is week commencing Monday 19th December. Have a Happy Christmas

ColinB

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John G

Sorry I've not back to you earlier but as far I know week 51 is week commencing Monday 19th December. Have a Happy Christmas

ColinB
That's what I though it would mean !!!

Now anyone stuck for ideas for Christmas presents we may need some new goodies for the van.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
We picked up our Indiana last Friday, which was the date that the dealer promised us last July. Lovely van, I agree about the noisy water pump - also see my comments re the onboard water tank in the "Equipment and Accessories" forum. I've now modified the overflow system.

One other comment - what design genius added the gas locker light at the bottom of the gas locker? Almost anything put into the locker covers up the light.

Only one quality issue - the cover over the heater flue pipe expands when it gets hot and pops out of its fixing guide. You can'y get it back until it cools down. Next time you light the fire, the same thing happens.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
We picked up our Indiana last Friday, which was the date that the dealer promised us last July. Lovely van, I agree about the noisy water pump - also see my comments re the onboard water tank in the "Equipment and Accessories" forum. I've now modified the overflow system.

One other comment - what design genius added the gas locker light at the bottom of the gas locker? Almost anything put into the locker covers up the light.

Only one quality issue - the cover over the heater flue pipe expands when it gets hot and pops out of its fixing guide. You can'y get it back until it cools down. Next time you light the fire, the same thing happens.
Paul, I may be wrong but I think you are supposed to remove the cover if you are using gas but leave it on if using electric.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I think that you are confusing the water heater with the space heater--sorry!!
I'm not talking about the cover on the outside, I'm refering to the piece of plastic trim (cosmetic) on the inside!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think that you are confusing the water heater with the space heater--sorry!!
I understood you to mean the heater my reply was to Brian

Do I take the troublesome bit to be the cover over the flue pipe inside the cupboard ?

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I understood you to mean the heater my reply was to Brian

Do I take the troublesome bit to be the cover over the flue pipe inside the cupboard ?
On the Indiana, the flue pipe runs horizontally through the "sideboard" then vertically by the door until it disappears into the upper locker. It's the piece of triangular trim that covers the pipe between the lower worksurface and the locker. It's very visible and should (I think) be screwed, or glued, in place.

Sep 4, 2005
Visit site

Thanks all for your info. Despite having our hearts set on a Bailey Louisiana and doing all our homework on the Bailey at the 99th hour we ended up purchasing a Sterling explorer! Can't wait to take delivery next month.

Now reading up all the books on 'all year' sites.

Beryl

Oct 2, 2005
Visit site
I've got a new Louisiana and delighted with it.

Only small niggle if you could call it one is the on board water pumps noisy.

I would prefer not to have the on board water tank and the space instead although we still have empty lockers.

Great Vans
we have a series 5 oklahoma and a very noisy water pump which makes the floor vibrate - our dealer says that Bailey consider this to be normal. The room inside is fantastic its nice to be able to stand up straight - im 6'2" and I find I cant lay comfortably out on the double bed - there are a number of other small niggles mainly associated with quality of finish. What about that nail breaker of a kichen roll/draining board holder - 1st thing to be removed!, we are concerned about the heat in the cupboard which is coming through from the cooker as it has lifted the laminate off the top of one of the doors. In general though it compares well with the previous model. regards

Stan

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi we recieved our indiana on the 20/9/05 ,the water pump sounds like a machine gun , and when filling the inboard tank there is no indicator to say when its full other than waiting until you hear the water coming out the overflow , and using the shower from the aquaroll the pressure dies down after 30 seconds ,i found the external pump on our last moselle far superior ,only one speaker on the radio was working ,the microwave does not work we had to unplug it because the electrics kept tripping ,the fridge does not lock in transit,we loved the fixed bed, i think i would choose the Wyoming next time ,allthough i like the island bed in the louisiana the bathroom is very cramped . joe croft

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Regarding delivery dates for Senators, we ordered our Oklahoma in early July and at the time were given a date for manufacture of week 46. Barrons where we are purchasing the caravan have just confirmed that build will be week 47 with the van being ready for collection late November/early December. Richard S

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts