Bailey Unicorn 3 - trouble with awning rail

Oct 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm having trouble fitting an awning to my new Unicorn caravan! I've tried lots of silicone spray but with no luck, anyone had the same problem and are there any solutions around?

Thanks,

Jim

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Can you push it into the awning rail for any distance ? If so it's possible that some sealant is causing the problem, it will need removing.

If you have a length of draft skirt you can use that to check that your awning rail is clear as it's lighter to hold and easier to push through the rail.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sproket, what a good idea , my friends Valencia had a problem at the back end of the awning rail where a join was, it was full of sealant, lots of scraping to clear it, QC not working well on Fridays?.

Oct 23, 2005
Visit site
Yes, gave it a good dose of silicon spray and also fed the awning from the front of the caravan, (less of a bendy circuit) but only got half way along the rail!

Jim

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know of an awning rail tool that you can draw along the rail to check / adjust to the correct opening, I have an old bearing scrapper that could be used, with care.
On QC, I collected a new van a few years ago, convinced that everything was ok, only for SWMBO, to find a minute dent in the fridge door, boy was I in the mire until she took the awning rail off coming out of where we store it.
Hutch.

Oct 23, 2005
Visit site
Yes, got half way from the front and also checked the rail for blockages but found none, seems that the awning is binding, the more of the awning is loaded onto the rail,

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
oconnj said:
Yes, got half way from the front and also checked the rail for blockages but found none, seems that the awning is binding, the more of the awning is loaded onto the rail,

What size / sort of awning are you trying to put in ?

Have you had a good look at the awning bead to make sure it's ok ? ?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
When we bought our Valencia, we were told by a fellow Valencia owner that having sealant clog the awning rail was a well known issue in Unicorns. He advised stripping it out one self as it invalidated the warranty and required a special Bailey owned tool. We made sure our awning rail was clear on collection.
Mel

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Have to agree with Mel, We had our GT65 cleared by the dealer before collection, along with making sure a few other known faults at the time were checked/sorted.

Oct 23, 2005
Visit site
Sproket said:
oconnj said:

What size / sort of awning are you trying to put in ?

Have you had a good look at the awning bead to make sure it's ok ? ?

Hi,

It's a full size awning for the size of caravan and it worked fine with my previous Pageant. The difference this time is that the Unicorn rail is a plastic mould, part of the Alu-tech system and not the standard aluminium awning rail.

The awning bead looks OK and I've also tried a length of awning skirting as a test and ended up with the same result!

Jim

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
If the draught skirt bead won't go through the rail either, from what you have described either the rail is damaged or there is a blockage. If the van is still under warranty i think that the dealer needs to have a look at it whilst you show them the problem hopefully it will be a easy fix but make sure that your test piece goes right through the rail before you take the van back ..

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi, when we bought our Cartagena, I checked the awning rail with one of those yellow protector tapes and found it had a slight blockage in 2 places. I phoned our dealer and he sent someone out to clear it. It was excess sealant inside the rail which he appeared to file down with fine emery paper. I have since had 2 different awnings and a sun canopy in it.

TRENDING THREADS