Bailey Unicorn

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
So, the new luxury Bailey is the limited edition Unicorn range.

Another mythacal horse name.

What could we have next, the Bailey Hippocampus (named after the mythacal seahorses that pulled Poseidon's chariot), the Bailey Arion (an immoral, extremely swift horse), Bailey Centaur (part human, part horse), dont think there will be a Bailey Trojan as the Trojan horse was made of wood and not an alu-tech body.

Any other horse names?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Shergar; Hercules; Dobbin; Champion (who can still remember the theme song?); Red Rum; Silver; Scout; Binky.

mel

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Mike can I ask how reliable your source for the price difference is? I thought it might have been a bit more than that.

I have had a look through other forums trying to glean some info about the Unicorn. Apparently in addition to the Aldi heating it also has some modification to the front to further reduce the chance of the commomly reported stone dents. Are you able to provide a link to the photographs you mention?

A general question about the Aldi heating, will that increase the weight and if so by how much?

Going by Bailey's info Practical Caravan magazine appear to be in poll position to review the new van, before even Baileys micro website is open.

Robert

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Also surfed about looking for info on the Unicorn and came across the stone dents problem. I haven't seen anything much about it on here, but on caravan times there is an interview with some bloke from Bailey (with somewhat unfortunate second hand car dealer hair) doing the "it has only affected a minority of vans and it wasn't an issue when we tested them" bit. Clearly something of a problem. They are changing the paint thickness as a stop gap solution.

mel

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
From the Sept practical caravan, it has a darker wood finish, white gas cover, fridge freezer on the t/a, fancy square basin, plusher taps, back lit cupboards, heavy duty chassis with 15" wheels and more as well as the Alde heating.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Clever marketing from Bailey,the Senator was their top model which was replaced by the Pegasus better spec they say although people say it wasnt as good.

So instead of revamping the Pegasus range bring a new model out but for more money and the people who said the Pegasus was good enough now buy the Unicorn.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Unless the sink has a built in drainer,( as my 2004 senator), then it is of no interest to me.

Two other vans of interest are the eldiss crusader, which now gets the alde heating i believe, and the lunar clubman 2 berth, which has the alde already.

Both also have a proper sink with a drainer.

Do the makers ever actually use a caravan for a holiday?

If so do they do any pot washing? because prating about with a detachable plastic drainer is no use to me!

I do feel for peggy owners, the peg should have the updates, bringing out a model above has effectivly de valued there purchase.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Ray I feel that making amendments & not changing the name would have devalued the current Pegasus more, as then you would have 'old & new Pegasus models'.

The extra

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our last one had a fixed drainer, now we have the removable one.

It makes little difference to me but the real truth is that the fixed drainer had a glass lid which gave a lot more work surface when lowered.

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
A new peg is coming shortly any way, generally improvements are made year on year.

The senator was always the top of the range? now it isn't.

As a present senator owner i found the peg wanting, the oly suited my needs better, but i was hoping the the new top of the range model would redress that.

Yes dusty thats the sink i have, with the glass top, also with the hob.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ray

The two glass tops were functional and I admit less fussy to use and keep clean.

Why do manufacturers keep reinventing the wheel???

I hope the Unicorn goes the extra mile and has better upholstery springs / sponge as should the fixed beds.

Pure cosmetics do nothing for me.

We do not have the Alde heating system but the usual Truma fire system has kept us warm in the height of the winter snows. More weight for no real gain?

I hope the TVs are better. The one that came with our Wyoming was an absolute piece of junk, a waste of money.

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Dusty

The alde heating is contained totally with in the caravan, any heat losses are into the caravan, not through a ridiculous 3/4 metre air duct running under the caravan. Bathrooms have a heated towel rail, very useful.

So the caravan environment should be more evenly heated, my end bathroom would be cool if we didn't use a separate fan heater.

When i posted re the alde heating, present owners could find little fault with the system.

The hot water is also through the system, also some control is available to increase the temperature set point, at a set time so you wake up nice and warm.

The down sides i can see, some noise at night? the unit is often fitted in locations that are hard to get at?

The circulation pump looks very toy town, will it last?

Maybe some extra weight? and extra cost, about a

Jul 9, 2006
Visit site
Hello All

I have seen the New Unicorn, a Unicorn Barcelona to be exact. We were leaving Woodland Waters site outside Grantham on Mon 5 July when a Bailey I didn't recognise arrived and set up. It was the above named. Looked smart from the outside and it didn't have a black front locker door but the locker looked to be the same size as the other Alutech ranges. Wish I had taken a pic of it. Assume someone had been given a prototype to try. Practical Caravan??

Joy

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I actually liked the look of the Unicorn, and that's hard for me to say, as I'm not a lover of the Bailey.

As far as Alde heating is concerned, I personally wouldn't entertain another caravan that didn't have this type of heating - it's far superior to the blown air.

Re the pump, our caravan is now four years old, and never had any hiccups with it, and the noise is minimal.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Mike can I ask how reliable your source for the price difference is? I thought it might have been a bit more than that.

I have had a look through other forums trying to glean some info about the Unicorn. Apparently in addition to the Aldi heating it also has some modification to the front to further reduce the chance of the commomly reported stone dents. Are you able to provide a link to the photographs you mention?

A general question about the Aldi heating, will that increase the weight and if so by how much?

Going by Bailey's info Practical Caravan magazine appear to be in poll position to review the new van, before even Baileys micro website is open.

Robert
i know that the one with the layout simular to the wyoming will be 50kg heavier than the wyoming so about 1710.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
i also like the removable drainer and if you put the chopping board on the sink you have the same amount of work space as the glass lid down.

i do hope they make a better job of the upholstry tho its not great.

jo

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I suppose their are many more people like myself find the the new range of Baileys noseweights are to heavy for the standard car.Nose weights of 90 kg with a empty front locker, no wonder they have made it small.

If the caravan is designed to have a minimuim nose weight of 90 kg then that is what you must obtain to ensure that you can tow safely without the fear of snaking .

This is probably why I see so many 4x4 towing these days , For how long, electric cars are the future what will we be able to tow with these.

Royston

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts