Barcelona Bandits

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having recently returned from a trip to Spain and France I encountered the famous Bandits around the Motorways of Barcelona.

As has often been commented, the practice of trying by various means to encourage you to stop your car so they can "help you" and then rip you off is still continuing.

In my case, towing homeward bound along the outer motorway of Barcelona, we reached a busy 4 lane stretch and I thought I had passed the worst area.

Then suddenly a "BANG" from the back of my towcar was followed by a black BMW quickly pulling sharply in front of me. The passenger, hanging out of the window, gesticulated (to convince me that I had a problem).

Being wise to this practice, I already had a full tank of Diesel and my car doors were locked. I was prepared with a plan of action in case of such an event.

Therefore I did NOT follow them off at the next junction or the next service area. I ACCELERATED from lane 2 and pulled into lane 3. I continued driving and passed 2 service stations before pulling in 50 miles later on.

When I did stop I checked my vehicles and discovered that they had thrown an EGG at my cars rear panel, to cause the "BANG" that I had heard.

Be prepared all of you!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
we was driving through Barcelona in the rush hour , when realised we had a puncture in the nearside rear wheel , i drove a bit further on where there was a police car they put there car behind ours to divert the traffic , the police were fabulous they got the jack out jacked the car up ,took the wheel off ,then they showed us a hole in the side wall , and they said you were lucky you stopped here , they have spiked your tyre to make you stop ,then they would offer to help you one would distract you while the others would rob you , the one of the police went of and found a tyre firm down the road , and the tyre was replaced ,well done them 2 spanish policemen

DJM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi BJ,

Sorry to hear of your recent experience, we had a similar incident a couple of years ago when a white car pulled alongside us in the middle lane on the same stretch of road pointing to the offside wheel of our caravan. Like yourself, I was forewarned and prepared for this and I got my wife to pick up the mobile in full view of them and dial 112. Fortunately on seeing this they accelerated away and I didn't see them again. We are driving down to Spain in September, so once again I will be prepared after hearing that this is still happening.

Many thanks for sharing your info with us.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts