Bastille Day

May 30, 2006
Visit site
Does anybody know if the supermarkets will be open on this day,when we booked the ferry we did not realise it was a public holiday.

Thankou.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Few years since I was in France on Bastille Day. Then the bakers and small supermarkets opened until about midday - a bit like UK on most Sunday mornings years ago.

So you should be ok for basic supplies.

Supermarket filling stations will probably have card operated pumps available but that's all. Most of the larger ones Carrfour, intermarche, etc pumps now take UK credit cards. you have to authorise the transaction before filling, but the pumps have something like a hole-in-the wall screen which offers English as a language choice so it's not much of a problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Last year I left Privas in the Ardeche to start the slow journey home on 15th July. I was a bit low on fuel and had concerns that I may not get any. In the event there was no problems with manned ones open everywhere I passed. The only ones shut were the small independants on rural roads.

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
We called in at Auchan at Grande Synthe (Dunkirk) yesterday and saw posters stating that the store would be open on Bastille Day.Don't know if this applies generally or just to this store.

Roland.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Just to avoid confusion, Bastille Day is July 14th but most of the celebrations - particularly spectacular firework displays - take place the night before and usually quite late so it is dark (and they switch the street lights off during the display!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts