Battery charger fan runs constantly!

Jan 23, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,
I have a 2003 Lunar Chateau 450. The fan on my battery charger runs constantly when I'm on EHU and is too noisy! I've a had a good read around this subject but I still can't decide what to do. The battery is only a few months old and the fans runs even after we've been on charge for a couple of weeks, therefore it's not to do with a duff battery, or that fact that the charger is working hard to charge a low battery. I do not know the make or model of the charger but it deals with the 240v supply too, it's just a silver box..no switches.
I'm more than happy to sack it off and replace, but it does still work..just puzzled as to why the fan would run constantly.
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks
Shipjack

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
You don't say if the fan stopped previously or if it ran all the time.
Some fans run as soon as devices are switched on,some are temperature controlled (usually a temperature switch).
Could be a temperature switch is stuck or maybe the fan always ran but was so quiet you didn't hear it and it has just got noisier.

Jan 23, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.
I've only had the van since Jan and it's always had a noisy fan. I replaced the battery because I fitted a mover so I needed a bigger one, but it was noisy before and noisy after..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is the unit warm or hot to the touch? If so it may be the t ventilation I.e. fresh air access to the cooking fan is obstructed or is already heated somewhat by comping past the space heating ducts or outlets. On some caravans the power supply unit shares under seat space with the Combi boiler such that all the ventilation air gets pretty warm.. one solution may be to cut a small hole inch or two diameter in the floor as close to the cooling fan intake as you can get thus getting a cool air source from under the van. But be very careful that such a hole is clear of wiring, gas pipes etc already under the floor.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
You don't say if the fan stopped previously or if it ran all the time.
Some fans run as soon as devices are switched on,some are temperature controlled (usually a temperature switch).
Could be a temperature switch is stuck or maybe the fan always ran but was so quiet you didn't hear it and it has just got noisier.

I agree. Our fan clicks on as soon as we turn on the bathroom light because it has a different bulb to the led lights in the rest of the van. Suggest you switch everything off and plug in to ehu and see if does it. If not switch one light or appliance on then off at a time and see if anything is clicking it on.
Good luck
Mel

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
There are two types of charger fitted some run the fan via temperature and others by current, i would fit the latter as the former seems to run most of the time even during the night, I've had both and insisted the dealer replaced the temperature control fan type for a current controlled one.

Current control types usually run the fan when current draw is over 8 or 12 amps.

I don't think the latest ones have a fan fitted.

Jan 23, 2019
Visit site
Thanks all,

It does n't get hot to be honest, maybe because the fan is doing its job? Not sure. It's in a compartment if it's own under the seats and I do nt store anything else in there so it has plenty of air. The fan runs with nothing turned on, although tbh I have n't tried turning the fridge off. Will give that a go.

Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts