Battery charger output

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My Wyoming’s charger is only showing 12.8 volts when connected to EHU. Is this ok or a sign it is on its way out?
should I replace with new oem or are there better than BCA available?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It has the hallmarks of a fault
As a basic charger I would expect it to sit at 13.8 V once the battery is fully charged.
12.8 V represents a rested voltage of a well charged battery, with no charge or drain on it.
Has the charger's power socket/plug fallen out, I have known that.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Clive
It’s with my own multi meter. The volt meter on board is a joke. I was talking to the tow bar guy last week and he reckons the charger should churn out 13.8v. That said my battery , four years old has never failed .

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
That said my battery , four years old has never failed .

If always on an EHU and the charger sits in a PSU mode at 12.8 volts, you would not have battery issues.

However, if required for use off an EHU it could fail very soon if it is not receiving more than 12.8 volts from the charger when back on an EHU.

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes at only 12.8V on an EHU there is something amiss.

Try monitoring the battery voltage and see if it changes at all when the EHU is on and off. If there is no change, it points to a fault on the charger. It might be worth checking the mains fuse on the charger.

If the voltage is higher when the mains is connected, then it could still be a faulty charger or it could be a faulty (old) battery. disconnect the battery and try checking the voltage on the connecting wires when the charger is on. If it doesn't get to about 13.8V then the charger is almost certainly faulty.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
So , following discussion with Ross at Apuljackengineering my oem unit is past it’s sell by date and on the way out. A new upgraded Apuljack unit is on its way to me now. Vastly superior to an off the shelf current BCA oem.
I think Parksy used these guys a few years ago with his failed Nordelectronica unit.

Reactions: JTQ
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So , following discussion with Ross at Apuljackengineering my oem unit is past it’s sell by date and on the way out. A new upgraded Apuljack unit is on its way to me now. Vastly superior to an off the shelf current BCA oem.
I think Parksy used these guys a few years ago with his failed Nordelectronica unit.
That company have come up a number of times and get good feedback on account of their advice, service and hardware. I contacted them a while back as I thought my Sargent EC PSU had failed but it turned out to be a simple wiring fault. But had I required a new PSU I would have bought it from Apuljack.

Last edited:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I did and couldn't have wished for better service.
We were due to attend a Practical Caravan readers rally which were held at Stowford Meadows in N Devon back in the day, and our Nordellectronica on board charger packed up completely the night before we were due to leave.
After a phone call to the guys at Appauljack near Brent Knoll just off the M5 we booked a one night stopover at Home Farm, Burnham on Sea.
They met us there, removed the faulty charger and repaired it, and refitted it better than new the next morning for us to continue our journey to Stowford.
The charger hasn't given any problems since ( touch wood).
Apauljack started to repair motorhome and caravan electronics as a favour, their core business is designing electronic guidance systems for missiles so they really know their stuff.
Nice guys to deal with, very highly recommended.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I did and couldn't have wished for better service.
We were due to attend a Practical Caravan readers rally which were held at Stowford Meadows in N Devon back in the day, and our Nordellectronica on board charger packed up completely the night before we were due to leave.
After a phone call to the guys at Appauljack near Brent Knoll just off the M5 we booked a one night stopover at Home Farm, Burnham on Sea.
They met us there, removed the faulty charger and repaired it, and refitted it better than new the next morning for us to continue our journey to Stowford.
The charger hasn't given any problems since ( touch wood).
Apauljack started to repair motorhome and caravan electronics as a favour, their core business is designing electronic guidance systems for missiles so they really know their stuff.
Nice guys to deal with, very highly recommended.
An update.
The new Appauljack arrived. The difference in the casings is dry apparent. There are are more cooling cut outs than the oem. Oem was rated at 13.4 volts , 12 amps. The new baby does 14.5 volts and 20 amps, staged over six phases. The cooling system is vastly superior.
So, why don’t the caravan manufacturers use people like Appauljack rather than the poor oem?👹 The price is not that different but the product quality is vastly superior. Fitting was so simple too.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am glad that you have had great service from Apuljack, and that your new unit is all, or more, than you expected.
I have used and directed many people to them over the years as they are, in my opinion, the very best people with regard to caravan electrics.

Why don't makers use them,,,,,,,simply down to price and contract clauses.
Don't forget that makers and dealers are not really interested in what happens once the van is sold.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Glad you are satisfied with the replacement as the company consistently get good reports. I won’t be drawn on manufacturers and quality as it would undoubtedly open an almost infinite thread. -:)

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......its' buyer beware here!

I have a 2012 Swift......so not new by any means.......it was fitted with a 25 amp smart charger from new.

Glad you are sorted Alan:)

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Swift do fit an excellent charger, mine is a multistage one which can charge to 14.4 v if required, and soaks at 13.8 v.

Lots of cooling fins and looks like a quality product, it also has an isolator.

Bailey only fit a single stage 13.8 volt unit which does the job but can have reliability and noise issues, and no isolator switch.

I also check my Swift battery level every time i use the computer or App.

Ps i had no issues with both my bailey built in meters, always found then near enough, checked against my professional fluke meter.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My old senator voltmeter is a joke. It actually reads 1.5 volts less than actual.
Swift had a reality check and no longer use the fatally flawed Nordelectronica junk.

TRENDING THREADS