Battery cooking.

Jul 15, 2022
Visit site
Hi All. Had to disconnect my battery today, strong smell of sulphur with the battery really hot. Let it all cool down and used a basic battery tester which inducated a healthy battery. Reconnected the battery and checked the on board battery read out which said 17 volts. This appears to indicate a charging problem but I really don’t have a clue about what to check or do next. Any help or guidance would be appreciated .

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With a battery reading 17 volts there is something seriously wrong, either with the battery or charger.

You dont say what caravan you have or what electrical distribution system is fitted, both of which would be very helpful.

However, in the meantime do NOT leave the battery connected to the van , as if the charger is at fault it is possible for the battery to explode causing substantial damage to the van.

You could take the battery to a garage or Halfords and get a drop test carried out which will show if the battery is at fault.

Reactions: Challenger
Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem here.Checked my battery conected to van this was reading 13.6 volts I have removed the battery and taken it to home and checked again with a meter to find the battery is not holding its charge .Im no pofessor but I believe the charger is is trying to get up around its max output and cant because duff cells .Not sayiing that is the problem but worth doing as I did . I beleive my problem was caused by the pandemic and my battery because we coudnt get to storage had dropped to 2 volts (Battery Knackered )
Sir Roger

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have the same problem here.Checked my battery conected to van this was reading 13.6 volts I have removed the battery and taken it to home and checked again with a meter to find the battery is not holding its charge .Im no pofessor but I believe the charger is is trying to get up around its max output and cant because duff cells .Not sayiing that is the problem but worth doing as I did . I beleive my problem was caused by the pandemic and my battery because we coudnt get to storage had dropped to 2 volts (Battery Knackered )
Sir Roger
We are in our caravan at present and battery reading is 13.8v so quite pleased. (y):D

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hussar has never returned a message on the outcome.
My caravan battery showed 75% good on the service check. It is a Silver Calcium wet cell, which at full charge after charging and a days rest shows 12.6 volts so I am happy with that. A spare AGM which sits after charging and rest sit at 12. 9, again a fairly good battery. I use the original Charger in the Coachman a "Smart charger" I should really update when this one fails, but I do have a spare.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts