Battery issue on newer Lunars with trackers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
It appears that a number of people who own a newer Lunar caravan that have the tracker activated have suffered low battery alerts or even battery failure. It appears that the the master switch on the control panel does not switch off all the 12v leaving only the alarm and tracker functioning.
Apparently according to two different reliable sources there is still a 12v feed to the fridge and the radio and this helps drain the battery. Combined with the Phantom tracker and alarm a 110ah battery can be drained in less than 2 weeks. This has happened to us on a few occasions and now the battery will not charge up.
The annoying part is if you get an alert from Phantom regarding a low battery status, it may take a few hours before you can get to the storage site or where the caravan is located. In the meantime the siren is activated and sounding for all and sundry to hear and creating a further drain on the already low battery! I was under the impression that a siren could not sound continously and had to re-set after awhile?
You then have to ask yourself what will happen when you replace the battery? Will it end up on the scrap heap after a couple of months due to the continual drain?
I am of the opinion that this is an inherent fault in the design or installation of the tracker & alarm as when the master switch is off and the radio and fridge are off there should nto be a drain on the battery except for the tracker / alarm. The wiring diagram on page 106 in the owner's handbook is a nightmare to follow and not very clear.
Am I correct in surmising that this couydl be an inherent fault in the design or installtion in the Lunar caravan?

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
I have no problems with mine.
The battery will last for 50+ days but the 12V master switch must be off as must the fridge.
I have a 96ah sealed marine/leisure battery and it nevers comes below 12V after 50+days.
The drain from the radio,fridge and awning light are so small as to be negligible.
i don't think this is a design fault.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
tradewinds said:
I have no problems with mine.
The battery will last for 50+ days but the 12V master switch must be off as must the fridge.
I have a 96ah sealed marine/leisure battery and it nevers comes below 12V after 50+days.
The drain from the radio,fridge and awning light are so small as to be negligible.
i don't think this is a design fault.
Generally winter is longer than 50 days, but our concern is the drain on the battery over a 2 week period even with all the appliances switched off and the master switch in the off position.
The most annoying aspect is that when the battery drops below a certain level the alarm triggers the siren and the siren continually wails draining the battery even further. I am informed that if the battery volts has dropped significantly the alarm micro computer "crashes" and leaves the drive to the siren driver transistor in an active state. Surely this is self defeating and can damage the battery due to the drain by the siren?

May 23, 2006
Visit site
I recently purchased a new lunar ultimate 540 and have had numerous problems with the battery going flat but don't have a tracker fitted. The battery is a platinum plus 110 amp leisure battery purchased last August so is only some 10 months old. Within 5 days of taking possession of the new caravan the battery went flat. It was fully charged but again went flat within 14 days. No usage of the caravan during this period other than the factory fitted alarm system. The battery was returned to the manufacturers under the warranty but found to be in ful working order. The caravan was subsequently used for a week but during that time hooked up to a sites mains electric. Upon returning home after a journey of 4 hrs the battery was again flat and unable to power the power touch evolution motor mover. I have since returned the caravan to the dealer for the battery and caravans electric to be checked out but they have found nothing to cause the drainage on the battery.
I know this doesn't solve your problem .......but there may well be an inherent fault with the wiring system somewhere but I doubt lunar would admit as much. As for my problems enquiries continue to resolve the matter.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Stephen B said:
I recently purchased a new lunar ultimate 540 and have had numerous problems with the battery going flat but don't have a tracker fitted. The battery is a platinum plus 110 amp leisure battery purchased last August so is only some 10 months old. Within 5 days of taking possession of the new caravan the battery went flat. It was fully charged but again went flat within 14 days. No usage of the caravan during this period other than the factory fitted alarm system. The battery was returned to the manufacturers under the warranty but found to be in ful working order. The caravan was subsequently used for a week but during that time hooked up to a sites mains electric. Upon returning home after a journey of 4 hrs the battery was again flat and unable to power the power touch evolution motor mover. I have since returned the caravan to the dealer for the battery and caravans electric to be checked out but they have found nothing to cause the drainage on the battery.
I know this doesn't solve your problem .......but there may well be an inherent fault with the wiring system somewhere but I doubt lunar would admit as much. As for my problems enquiries continue to resolve the matter.

Do you switch off the master switch on the control panel? Even if it left on by accident it should not drain the battery so quick if everythingis switched off. I tried to fathom out the wiring diagram for ours, but it seems to be a very poor diagram. unfortunately we had to buy a new battery yesterday as the old one which is not all that old was not holding the charge.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Lozsing said:
Just wondered if you got your problem sorted because i have same caravan on order. Thanks lawrence
It seems to be sorted however I did purchase another battery so they othere one may have been on its way out.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I'm not convinced there isn't a battery discharge somewhere on the 2013 Lunars - a number of functions are still live even when the master switch is off.
I had a battery wrecked, sitting at the dealers off EHU for 4 weeks during warranty assessment, so I've no intention of leaving the new battery in any time it's off EHU in the future.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
RogerL said:
I'm not convinced there isn't a battery discharge somewhere on the 2013 Lunars - a number of functions are still live even when the master switch is off.
I had a battery wrecked, sitting at the dealers off EHU for 4 weeks during warranty assessment, so I've no intention of leaving the new battery in any time it's off EHU in the future.
Apparently the 12v for the fridge remains live so that it can be switched to battery without the master switch being on. We have not been able to use our van for about 5 weeks and no issues with battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS