Battery terminal quick release connectors.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm thinking of a post by otherclive but others may be able to comment, thanks.

OC, did you buy the cam type quick release connectors?

Just asking because I found a very loose fit on the positive side connector on my bluered type.

A technical bend ( :unsure: ) of the (rather thin) metal clamp appears to have had a good result, but I don't like uncertainties with such components; it was a slow motor mover that highlighted the problem to me.

If you or anyone else has bought the cam type, can you comment and post a link please.

As always, thank you for any responses.

Anseo.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Anseo said:
I'm thinking of a post by otherclive but others may be able to comment, thanks.

OC, did you buy the cam type quick release connectors?

Just asking because I found a very loose fit on the positive side connector on my bluered type.

A technical bend ( :unsure: ) of the (rather thin) metal clamp appears to have had a good result, but I don't like uncertainties with such components; it was a slow motor mover that highlighted the problem to me.

If you or anyone else has bought the cam type, can you comment and post a link please.

As always, thank you for any responses.

Anseo.

Anseo
I decided to stay with the conventional bolted type which aren’t that difficult to release. My current problem is whether to buy a new battery. My present one is only 2 years old Yuasa 100 ah but got discharged for a spell earlier this year. The service dealer did a drop test on it three weeks ago and declared it okay. But when I tried to use the mover to put the van into its spot it just clicked at me. Voltage was 11.7 v. After moving to our new house a week ago I put it on the CTEK charger and it seemed to go through the stages okay. It’s now been off charge and disconnected for 48 hours and shows 12.67 volts. But I don’t know if I can rely on it. Will probably take it for a drop test sometime soon before the van goes out again as it’s impossible to push or reverse it onto the drive. But once there parking space isn’t a problem. I digress sorry.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The quick release type seem attractive and I'm sure in good condition and well fitted they may be OK.
But why the need for speed ? The effort on the lever can't be much less than that needed for a spanner, and a good clean bolted connection should provide a better all round contact. This may be particularly important when a mover is fitted as the current taken by these under full load can be very high and a poor connection degrade the performance quite noticeably.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
RayS said:
The quick release type seem attractive and I'm sure in good condition and well fitted they may be OK.
But why the need for speed ? The effort on the lever can't be much less than that needed for a spanner, and a good clean bolted connection should provide a better all round contact. This may be particularly important when a mover is fitted as the current taken by these under full load can be very high and a poor connection degrade the performance quite noticeably.

Hi RayS,

I agree with your comment and in particular the integrity of the battery terminal connection(s) importance.

I am planning to spend a lot more time off EHU, and as such will be carrying a spare battery for those times that I may have the inconvenience of doing a battery change over.

If I can make that battery change over more quickly and without the use of tools then that would be for me a pleasant convenience, I am pretty handy with the spanners etc. but the less kit I need to carry is a good thing for me, I do already come somewhat over prepared tool wise.

I get what you are saying but if a more convenient system is available at a reasonable (to me) cost then I think it is worth considering, perhaps old age is making me a lazier old git :eek:hmy:

Cheers,
John

May 24, 2014
Visit site
With many batteries and battery boxes, you may find that the inst the space to undo Qr's quickly, and that you have to slide the battery or retaining box out before you can undo them. Many batteries are coming through with flag terminals rather than post, and I do find these better to deal with, given the limited space in a battery box. I have changed my connectors to match flag terminals. Also, you can get post terminal adaptors for flag terminals, which would give you a wider choice of battery.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts