Battery type & charging

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi.

The battery will certainly be fine for a caravan, but you rightly question if your charger is ok, unfortunately I cant answer that for you. Can you tells teh make and model of the charger and perhaps we might be able to find out a bit more about it.

I suggest you also contact the battery supplier and check with them if the battery will work for your charger, as they are the ones who will be carrying theCRA warranty if you have problems.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hi.

The battery will certainly be fine for a caravan, but you rightly question if your charger is ok, unfortunately I cant answer that for you. Can you tells teh make and model of the charger and perhaps we might be able to find out a bit more about it.

I suggest you also contact the battery supplier and check with them if the battery will work for your charger, as they are the ones who will be carrying theCRA warranty if you have problems.

Frankly I don't understand the need to use such an expensive battery as an AGM. Just get a good but cheaper standard unit and the existing charger will work fine. The Halfords HLB681 is 115Ah and is a badged Yuasa which is among the group of the best you can get (alongside Varta and Bosch.)

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I have used AGM batteries and love their resilience... BUT... you do need to know what the charging regime of your charger is. A conventional flooded lead acid charger will stick the voltage up to 14.xxV which is too much for the AGM (going from memory I think it's 13.8V)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Woodentop said:
ProfJohnL said:
Hi.

Frankly I don't understand the need to use such an expensive battery as an AGM. Just get a good but cheaper standard unit and the existing charger will work fine. The Halfords HLB681 is 115Ah and is a badged Yuasa which is among the group of the best you can get (alongside Varta and Bosch.)

Why did you quote my post in your answer?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have an Yuasa, AGM battery, in my Coachman 2013 with the BCA charger, and on checking, this is fine, going upto 14.4 volts then down to 13.8 volts. Its three years old now, but if I haven't been out for 3 months, and it drops to 12.6 volts I bring it home and charge it up with an old Halfords charger that stabilise on a maintain charge at 13.6 volts.
I find that at least you dont have to check electrolyte levels with an AGM battery.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
The AGM is excellent if you spend a lot of time off grid. They charge at 14.4 volts unless there is load on it then 13.8 just like all batteries. But the charging rate is important and how it charges. If your charger is a smart one it will do it properly. I have a smart charger for use at home and that has an agm setting. (It is automatic but there is a switch facility just in case. ) The batteries on stop go cars are often agm so same applies there. If you're not off grid much a standard leisure battery should do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts