Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
just asking. i have a 75ah leisure battery. because i always use a mains hook up can i use a car battery which is only called into use when i use my motormover. does the mover call for high power over a short period or low power? my battery is nearing the end of its life. which one do i purchase? thanks for any help

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Geoff, I'm no expert, but apparently for Motor Movers you must have a deep cycling traction battery, the type they use in electric wheelchairs etc, as car batts are only designed to give a high output/short duration burst for starting the engine etc, but are not very good at sustaining high current drains over long periods of time, which your Motor Mover would certainly cause. Although more expensive initially, a traction battery should last longer and give a better performance than a car batt.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Buy the highest amp one that fits in the locker if you shop arround there's little cost difference. Your battery will last longer if you disconect it at it's terminals

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Geoff,

I too have a motormover and to be on the safe side I use a 110amp battery,I then know if I get on a bit of roughish ground I have plenty of power to get me out of a scrape,well worth paying a bit extra, also if you and your partner are pushing up the numbers and you like to park your caravan just where you want it to go not where the caravan gets into maybe a rut.Must be a leisure battery though,also for the winter time when thecaravan is parked up I use a solar panelto keepup the charge,they are brilliant. All the best Geoff and happy caravanning.Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've got a Carver mover fitted to my axle and it says an 85AH battery is fine, but I had problems with poor movement and juddering. Simply when it comes to batteries bigger is better. I've got a 110AH battery and run a motor mover, lights, kids dvd unit etc, off it and all is fine over two weeks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My Carver mover worked fine for three years with an 85 amp hour battery as the van is always on charge at home ,on site or on tow.

I now have a 110 amp hr battery but even this could not make a mover with a duff control board work!I had no problems with juddering etc with the 85 amp hr but they started after using the 110 for 12 months.From this I DO NOT conclude that it was the fault of the battery but that a fault had developed in the unit and as it now works with the new controller and the same battery I can see no reson to doubt this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts