BBC 2 Wednesday 8pm

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
You'd think after 35 years they would know how to level the caravan and erect an awning correctly :(
The manoeuvring has given me an idea for this year's Woosiefest :evil:

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, some of it WAS cringe making! Seriously thought several partners would be flattened in the reversing test. The kangaroo reverse was the funniest, though.
And I agree, what plonker would try and tow a van up a mud and grass slope like that? Ok on a lwb single vehicle, but he must have known that the physics wouldn't work for 2 long vehicles with a joint...how long has he been towing?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Sproket said:
Was there a kangaroo in the eriba when the guy tried to reverse it :silly:

They should have been disqualified on the spot for presenting the Eriba with the brakes set up incorrectly.

It was overall a laugh but was it intended to be, if so would it have better been screened on the 1st of the month.

Grenville Chamberlain single handed set about "doing a Ratner" on the Caravan Club.

Glad personally I don't need to go into work anymore, I can just envisage the ribbing I would be walking into.

Typical BBC to present 50% of caravanners as into "retro", I doubt the reality is 5% but then they would miss the chance of making us look such nerds.

Still enjoyed watching it compared with the options, but can't see it doing the hobby any favours.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, not impressed.

What was the point of this programme? If it was really to find the "caravanner of the year" then why select contestants who had never reversed a caravan in their lives, and challenge them to reverse a caravan? I can't believe for a minute that this is the best the Caravan Club could offer. Why not instead use the programme as an opportunity for people with experience to share - for example - the best and most inspiring tours that they had been on?

I reckon we could do the awning and the reversing challenges better, having been caravanning for less than a year. And as regards the 'concourse' challenge, our caravan is not a showpiece but somewhere to relax and sleep after enjoying our HOLIDAY.

The programme succeeded only in providing cheap entertainment, and if that's what the BBC want the producers of Top Gear can do a much better job.

The only positive thing I can find to say is that I'd like to meet the couple with the war-themed VW camper and Eriba Puck. There's an interesting story there if anyone is willing to feature it.

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Have to say I enjoyed it for what it was - a bit of fun. Lovely to see some more unusual outfits - the army themed set up was a very well executed theme so I have to admire them for the passion they put into that.
Also very pleased to see some of the ladies do a cracking job at manoeuvring despite it not being a thing they normally do - well done to them for stepping up and giving it a go :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Frankly the Caravan Club should be ashamed of it. The judges did not take it seriously and the contestants were neither representative or the best available. They appeared to be chosen more for their appeal to viewers than on their skills except for the one with the Unicorn who was very good. Trying to compare motorhomes and caravans is not practical and if you want both then you need two contests.
The tests were unfair and as we did not know what the marking was we were lost as to the judging. The test with the figure of eight did not allow for the size of the two full size caravans and the reverse round the roundabout was a farce. Why the partners had to do the second manouvre was beyond on m e and seemed to be for entertainment purposes rather than as a test.
The club chairman made a fool of himself by driving up a hill too steep and wrecking his back panel.Even this was treated as a joke but as far as I can see only the parts department at Lunar have any reason to smile.
All in all it was a farce.

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
It was good that it was on mainstream TV and not some obscure satellite channel, meaning a more diverse audience saw it and maybe some thought "hmm, I wouldn't mind a go at that".
But.
" Carravaner of the year " and you cannot reverse it!!.
The awning competition was sort of good, why were they putting an awning on a camper van that wasn't supposed to have one?.
The reversing, for the ones that could it,was also interesting and the bit where the other half did it showed that it is hard to explain how to do something you do without thinking as most of the " left hand down,right hand down" instructions were wrong and they had to think about that.
We are trained (TA ) to signal from the front and fold the drivers mirrors in so they have your full attention.
As for the prettiest/cleanest rig, well we hoover before we leave the site and wipe what we spill and that's it.
It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be so a thumbs up from us.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
as a 40+ year caravanner the best I could describe the program was obtuse, :woohoo: surely if your going to pick a caravanner of the year, one should use real caravanner's not ones picked for either audiance appeal or the wackiest outfit, erecting an awning yer all right lets do it in stiff breeze while it's peeing down with rain, as for reversing OMG only one got it right and not one single reverse camera between them, as for expecting a non driver to reverse through a gate are they joking, hell the wife has trouble reversing the mobility scooter in tesco's. the thing they did not seem to understand that was the largest unit is always going to be the easiest to reverse as you can see the trailer go off line, lets see them all reverse the same unit, I defy anyone to correctly reverse a short camping trailer, where you cannot see the thing in either mirror, so I don't blame the guy with the VW and little trailer from refusing to do it.
as someone said earlier concourse with white gloves give us a break, you go on holiday to relax not spend most of the holiday cleaning the van and car, [unless you one of those anoraks who do] :cheer: :cheer: I have seen one program wilI I stick around to see who wins, I would rather watch paint dry.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I loved it. This programme was not about Caravanning, just like "Come dine with me" has nothing to do with cooking. The whole thing was about the most fascinating things on earth: people.
Mel

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I recorded this show and have now watched it.
All I can say is that if this is a reflection of the best that the Caravan Club has to offer from the disaster prone chairman down, thank God I stuck with the Camping and Caravanning Club :lol: :lol: :lol:
The programme almost makes me ashamed to admit to being a caravanner. :(

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We are very content to settle with being anything but the UK's "Best Caravanner" and continue adding to our 37 odd years of having great fun out of our hobby.

• Where reversing is too challenging I will use the mover.
  • Where the terrain would inevitably ground and rip the back out of the van, we don't go there.
  • The awning goes up horizontal so unless the site is also level the skirting depth reflects this rather than forcing it skew.
  • Our values are different to having to polish and clean everything to be frightened to then use them.
  • The wife does not tow by choice so does not get forced to.
  • We don't have or have the slightest wish to have a retro unit, modern comforts come way higher than looking cool and being minimalist.

With all our failings we have no hope of impressing anyone.

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Watched the program, funny at times, appalling at others! (Nice to see the two VW camper vans). Program bought back memories of why I did not renew my CC membership after one year. Long winded story but bear with me:

Booked a site, arrived, got wrist slapped for arriving 5 minutes early, also another one for not saluting the flag on stepping out of the car. Caravan and car weren't centrally parked in the arrivals bay - 2 inches out! Walking to the office I inadvertently walked on their paint ed grass - another wrist slapping! On leaving the office (Command Post), I stepped back to allow a car and caravan to pass and I stepped on one of their nice white painted kerb stones - another wrist slapping! Onward to the pitch. On reversing on to the pitch one of the wheels ran across the corner of grass adjacent to the hard standing, all be it half the width of the tyre and about a foot long. Parked on pitch, no problems apart from the above, but low and behold I was told caravan was 4 inches off centre and the front of the tow hitch was an inch further forward from caravans either side. you guessed it - another wrist slapping! Erected the awning, only to be told curtains were not the right colour and didn't match the awning. Thank God it was level all the way round with no creases!!!

After our evening meal the wife and I started discussing plans for the next day. there was a tap on the door (10.02pm). We were promptly told there was a 10pm lights out curfew and at the same time warden reminded us we should be on the parade ground at 7am next morning, smart casual, no jeans, shorts, flip-flops, trainers or T-shirts. Must be brown or black polished shoes. Ladies in matching skirt and tops, skirts to be 2 inches below the knee. Next morning I attempted the holiest of holys. Sun was out, going to be a hot day so decided to put a wind break up to give dog some shade. Before the first pole was in the ground the wife and I were dragged screaming to the office (Command Post) and told even thinking about putting a windbreak up was a flogging offence, erecting one completely would mean the wife and I would be shot at dawn.

On leaving the Command Post I accidently tripped over one of their **** white kerb stones and fell on their white painted rockery. With that I was told I was going to be reported for malicious damage. i feel I must stop writing now as the memories are making me feel depressed.

I won't tell you the hand signal we gave to the flag on leaving!!!!

Anyway each to their own. contrary to the above, the wife and I thoroughly enjoy our caravan holidays - obviously not on CC sites. :)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Only ever saluted one flag in my life but never, and i stress never have i ever been asked to salute the cc flag. Painted stones? Are you sure you arent remembering national service?

Methinks that wasnt a serious post.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Thingy said:
Only ever saluted one flag in my life but never, and i stress never have i ever been asked to salute the cc flag. Painted stones? Are you sure you arent remembering national service?

Methinks that wasnt a serious post.

Yes, that's it poor "Humf" has got his intro day for National Service confused with his trip to a CC site.
But, having done National Service places him at an age where that it is quite understandable and forgivable. ;)

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi Thingy
Yes we have exaggerated a bit, only after watching the aforementioned program it brought back memories of our first encountered with a CC site many years ago and yes it was regimented and obviously seeing the program not much has changed :p

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Never mind, only go to CC sites if we have to, normally use the club for cl's or CS sites. One woman said , why do you dry your washing on lines when they have dryers in the laundry rooms. , Not a nice reply from myself , but polite.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Humphrey said:
Watched the program, funny at times, appalling at others! (Nice to see the two VW camper vans). Program bought back memories of why I did not renew my CC membership after one year. Long winded story but bear with me:

Booked a site, arrived, got wrist slapped for arriving 5 minutes early, also another one for not saluting the flag on stepping out of the car. Caravan and car weren't centrally parked in the arrivals bay - 2 inches out! Walking to the office I inadvertently walked on their paint ed grass - another wrist slapping! On leaving the office (Command Post), I stepped back to allow a car and caravan to pass and I stepped on one of their nice white painted kerb stones - another wrist slapping! Onward to the pitch. On reversing on to the pitch one of the wheels ran across the corner of grass adjacent to the hard standing, all be it half the width of the tyre and about a foot long. Parked on pitch, no problems apart from the above, but low and behold I was told caravan was 4 inches off centre and the front of the tow hitch was an inch further forward from caravans either side. you guessed it - another wrist slapping! Erected the awning, only to be told curtains were not the right colour and didn't match the awning. Thank God it was level all the way round with no creases!!!

After our evening meal the wife and I started discussing plans for the next day. there was a tap on the door (10.02pm). We were promptly told there was a 10pm lights out curfew and at the same time warden reminded us we should be on the parade ground at 7am next morning, smart casual, no jeans, shorts, flip-flops, trainers or T-shirts. Must be brown or black polished shoes. Ladies in matching skirt and tops, skirts to be 2 inches below the knee. Next morning I attempted the holiest of holys. Sun was out, going to be a hot day so decided to put a wind break up to give dog some shade. Before the first pole was in the ground the wife and I were dragged screaming to the office (Command Post) and told even thinking about putting a windbreak up was a flogging offence, erecting one completely would mean the wife and I would be shot at dawn.

On leaving the Command Post I accidently tripped over one of their **** white kerb stones and fell on their white painted rockery. With that I was told I was going to be reported for malicious damage. i feel I must stop writing now as the memories are making me feel depressed.

I won't tell you the hand signal we gave to the flag on leaving!!!!

Anyway each to their own. contrary to the above, the wife and I thoroughly enjoy our caravan holidays - obviously not on CC sites. :)

this post is funnier than the program, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thanks.
used loads of CC sites never had a problem, OH I tell a lie just once, after pitching on one site [which shall remain nameless] and just erecting the awning a guy on a bike turns up says he is one of the wardens :evil: gets out a tape measure and says I'm 6 in out of alignment, so I replied, "oh that means I'm **** on then", :lol: :lol: no he said you will have to move it!!! so I throw him the mover control, and say well if a jobs worth doing do it yourself, he jumped on his bike and disappeared, never to be seen again for the whole week, and the caravan it stayed exactly where it was.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Watced it , a decent watch comical at times but daft to ! Cant believe he tried to take his unit up that grass embankment ! How embarrasing for the top brass at CC !! :lol: and like others say , why force their partners to do it when they dont want to ?? They done well for theif first time though . How that bloke with his mam didnt flatten her on the reversing task i do not know !! :woohoo: I can have awning up and set up within 4o minutes with o/h sorting the inside out as well as dealing with 2 kids !!! And why scoring on cleanliness !! Like another said , always clean but not always cleaning it ! I thought the tasks were easy . Wonder what happens next week !!

Craig .

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Next weeks contests are

1) How fast can you level a caravan with the jockey wheel retracted,
2) How long can you sit in an awning making a drunken racket before everyone else tells you to shut up.
3) How dirty can you leave a) WC and b) shower cubicle.
4) How saggy can you make your awning look.
5) How many times can you trip the electrics in one night.

Actually these are just my experiences this week. Makes you wonder how some of them actually get here alive.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Thingy said:
Next weeks contests are

1) How fast can you level a caravan with the jockey wheel retracted,
2) How long can you sit in an awning making a drunken racket before everyone else tells you to shut up.
3) How dirty can you leave a) WC and b) shower cubicle.
4) How saggy can you make your awning look.
5) How many times can you trip the electrics in one night.

Actually these are just my experiences this week. Makes you wonder how some of them actually get here alive.

You've had a bad week ain't you !!! :p

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Actually a pretty normal week. You cannot go on a CC or any other caravan site without seeing a percentage of planks. Its the nature of our passtime. At least they double as entertainment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts