BBC 2 Wednesday 8pm

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
People do think we are a sad bunch and programmes like this don't really help, but so what? Does it really matter what they think?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
ricky_s said:
People do think we are a sad bunch and programmes like this don't really help, but so what? Does it really matter what they think?
In the great scheme of things apart from some ribbing from non caravanning friends we shouldn't worry too much.
The problem is that the perception of us given to fellow road users by every tv programme about tourers allows some moronic motorists carte blanche to lie about us on radio programmes, abuse us as we drive along sticking to speed limits, try to cut us up on the roads and at traffic islands, barge their way onto motorways and out of side roads to try to get in front of us etc. I've had examples of all of these over the past few years.
I also agree with Dustydog, we do have the occasional anorak type topic on this forum, but the participation of the Caravan Club which made all of us seem like that about what we do was a massive own goal.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Further to what Parksy has said, I took the trouble to have a dashcam fitted. You would be stunned at some of the stupid manoevures I have recorded directly affecting me but the most concerning aspect is the regularity with which the events occur. Some of them are deliberate, of that I have no doubt.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are having the anything of the year you need to plan and do it properly.
There appeared to be no planning and the only thing planned was the first test where they were simply told to pitch put up an awning and make a cup of tea. The outfits were so different it was impossible to easily compare them and even then we have no idea how they were marked.
The manouvering tests were created on the spot. Any sensible organiser would have visited the site in advance and worked out a series of reasonable tests in advance. In over 30 years I have never had to drive through hay bales in a figure of eight or reversed all the way round a tree. The tests were designed to make the contestants fail as the figure of eight was simply not big enough for the larger outfits to complete it but the guy with the Unicorn did show how it was done with the reverse round the tree, a fantastic effort that the others struggled with.
If it is to be repeated we need more typical caravanners and planning.

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Just shows how sad some caravaners are.

People crying about a scripted tv show, its obvious its about "none" normal people, who would want to watch a show where 6 sets of people are Joe average.

Do what I do watch it for waht it is or watch another channel (Top Gear is on Dave)
Nobody at work who does not won a caravan have come up to me and laugh, the ones who saw it, knew it was not a normal programme about caravaners but a light silly entertainment show.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Raywood, I beg to differ on some points, I have ended up on a couple of occasions, having to reverse around imaginary trees when ending up in cul de sac roads, within site of the cl site.. and on some sites where the pitchs have been through small gates and two 90 degree bends, so I think maybe the tasks were not too far away from some reality. As for the cup of tea after the fight with the awning, I tend to need a beer, and the wife a well deservee glass of wine for doing the internals and keeping out of the way.
Each to their own though. Its all good fun I say. :p

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree with hutch on this one , we are away this Friday afternoon up to Pickering and there won't be a cup of tea waiting for me whilst pitching, I've already 6 cans stored from our last trip already in the caravan and a bottle of wine for my lovely other half !! ;)

Craig .

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
One of the contestants did have the same door mat as us. Only got it a few weeks ago from Camping International in Gillingham, think it was £10.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
tenpole said:
One of the contestants did have the same door mat as us. Only got it a few weeks ago from Camping International in Gillingham, think it was £10.

Sorted ! £6.99 eBay, here in two days hopefully before we go away for weekend B) , cheers tenpole.

Craig

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
:eek:hmy: :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy: when I had the VW motorhome [not the camper] I had the VW scarf, and T shirt, A VW flag for the back, was a member of the VW motorhome club, and even went on a rally once, :woohoo: that was full of the types shown on the program, :whistle: :whistle:, and I even had one of those door mats with VW camper on it.
OMG, I must have been a right anorak,

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
As it goes I got told off as I put the aqua roll on top of it and it leaked. Now OH is moaning that I have stained it with a water mark. Its a front door mat! It is going to get damp shoes at some point.
Anyway looking forward to tonight's program.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Best bit was when the motorhome expert was harping on about knowing the width of your vehicle....
did he not see the width restriction signs?????

Going out to pick some nettles!!!!!!!!!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A lot more realistic than last week, but I shall have to get more caravan books, and I can't wear any of my " I Love Caravanning" T shirts for a while. :eek:hmy:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts