BBC 2 Wednesday 8pm

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I thought the navigation test was irresponsible as participants were not allowed to use major roads, thus pushing them onto narrow country roads, which was not good for them or other road users. Just the sort of thing to encourage Clarksonites.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Some one on the CC forum just pointed out, your insurance, doesnt alow you to do time trials on Public roads.
A good point.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
00buzz said:
Should have took them to bolton abbey and said drive through that arch at 10 mph.....would have sorted them out....

Ah but would they have used more than a gallon of fuel to get there??

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Still very amateurish but better than the first effort. The navigation test was fair as if you just allowed them to use main roads it would be too easy. The economy test was just silly as no effort was made to get an accurate picture of the fuel used and if it had been closer they would have been stuck. As it was the consumption would not have been comparable because of the very different outfits.
The whole thing needs far more thought if it is to be repeated.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Admittedly less ghastly than last week but still pretty dreadful. It felt like the judges had thought of the challenges whilst hung over after the heavy drinking session from which the first week's tasks had been dreamt up.

- Manouvring between bales of hay - they did that last week. And of course its easier in a motorhome (a single vehicle) than in a car towing a caravan (an articulated outfit).
- 2 navigation challenges - why? How does reading a large-scale map to avoid main roads make anyone good "caravanners"?
- Economy: well if driving more socially by keeping up a legal speed on main roads and slowing down or stopping to allow people to overtake uses more fuel then so be it. Anyone who did that would get my vote.

Like I said before, cheap entertainment only. And a poor effort at that.

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Again I disagree with many posters. I loved the show, was endeared to the couples and laughed at the navigation. The wife thought the show was great too and would look forward to another series next year.

In the meantime I look forward to the show from the C&CC.

Cornish+Banger+Racers+Conduct+Annual+Caravan+9gekuzoDIhRl.jpg

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Are we all wrong in our criticism and the Caravan Club right.
Yesterdays Daily Mail had a couple of paragraphs on the show and caravanning in general and it was positive. Today on BBC Essex the topic on the breakfast show was "Why is caravanning so popular" and again it was all positive. The subject was chosen in response to the show.
If I ever meet the top brass at the CC I may have to eat humble piei

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It may be true that "in general" caravanning is seen in a good light by many, as proven by the number of vans sold by various makers and the difficulty getting onto some sites.

However, the programme made me think of every reason NOT to be associated with a caravan and the things that some people seem to think are "normal".

The judges made themselves look pathetic, with the CC Chairman ripped the back off his van attempting an impossible move for a car and van combination, and the so called Motorhome "expert" getting stuck between width restriction bollards as he did not know the width of his own van.

As for the participants, well if seeing someone make complete fools of themselves just to get a shiny cup reward, then for me its time to sell the van and never go near another caravan in my life.

Some of the challenges I believe were set up by the judges to see who could damage their outfit the quickest.
Hay bales weigh around a hundredweight (the type they were using) and getting people to drive through a narrow gap at even 10 mph is stupid, in my opinion.
I guess the question is, should any of them damaged their outfits, who would pay for repairs? NOT the Caravan Club for sure !!!

I am sure that actually there are much better caravanners out there in the real world who would be much more deserving of the title of Best Caravanner.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Fully agree with you Damian, on this Forum at least we are not as Daft as on the CC forum about it, and declaring that they are renouncing their memberships, where will a lots of them go this weekend, I wonder, will al cs and C&CC sites be full?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
......did I miss a TV show about caravans?
....what a shame!! :huh:

Nope, you missed a pathetic charade by totally pathetic participants showing just how BAD the Caravan Club can be, along with some very strange people doing things which no self respecting caravan owner would even contemplate.
Oh yes, I forgot the very dodgy outfits worn by people who at their age should know better than to try and dress mutton as lamb.!!!!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It was a 60 's theme, well done for them , White kinky boots , Yeah. All good fun. Don't be over serious, otherwise you will not go out untill dark with the caravan.

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I was thinking of joining the C&CC but not the CC. My father belonged to both but I think it was the ferry crossing discounts and other perks he found useful and money saving.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We are members of both, but discounts from the clubs on ferries are not worth it on DFDS. Always go direct. .Members of both clubs for the cl's and the CS's rarely use main sites. . And ACSI.

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
We are members of both, but discounts from the clubs on ferries are not worth it on DFDS. Always go direct. .Members of both clubs for the cl's and the CS's rarely use main sites. . And ACSI.

Yes this would have been before DFDS 80's 90's and 00's. P&O and a ferry line sounded like Townsend or something beginning with T, orange emblem cant remember.
My father passed on 2009 from Alzheimer's. Up till the time he fell ill he was a keen motorcaravaner.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Gafferbill said:
......did I miss a TV show about caravans?
....what a shame!! :huh:
Nope, you missed a pathetic charade by totally pathetic participants showing just how BAD the Caravan Club can be, along with some very strange people doing things which no self respecting caravan owner would even contemplate.
Oh yes, I forgot the very dodgy outfits worn by people who at their age should know better than to try and dress mutton as lamb.!!!!

My post was my idea of a joke :cheer:
I did not watch on purpose as I was certain it would take the mick.
Going by the posts in this thread it did just that. ...not for me.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
EH52ARH said:

Just for the record.....I received a 20% discount with DFDS by booking with the Caravan Club for a crossing from Dover last January. The discount was only for members who booked whilst the October NEC caravan and motor home show was being held.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
tenpole said:
I was thinking of joining the C&CC but not the CC. My father belonged to both but I think it was the ferry crossing discounts and other perks he found useful and money saving.

The C&CC have also been beguiled by tv producers to inadvertently show caravanners in a bad light, don't forget that the infamous Clarkson farce was made with the cooperation of the C&CC. :(
Don't be put off joining any club because of the totally unrepresentative way that caravan owners (and motorhomers) were portrayed on a tv programme.
I've now watched the second of the programmes and have to say that the remaining contestants seemed to be nice people, but the 'challenges' were old fashioned and a bit unrealistic for this day and age.
I suppose that we have to remember that the programmes were meant to entertain, and given the general dumbing down of most tv output these days coupled with the low attention span of a significant section of the viewing public the programme was par for the course.
It could have been worse, we could have been treated to an in depth documentary about the best method to use to check caravan noseweight :evil:
I'll get my coat.........

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
ok so it was a crap program, and yes it was bilge, saw the first one, that was enough. :S :S.
but trying to be fair to the producers, it was an almost impossible task, trying to portray such a varied hobby for the general viewing public on mainstream television, tis one of the reasons most programs of this sort are made for some obscure satellite channel.

caravans are popular but not well liked and any sort of competition element turns it into a pi$$ing contest, either by who's got the most money, or who can be the biggest pr@t. in the end it turned out to be a bit of both,

in the end it was a case of nice try but no cigar, it should be possible to make good entertaining caravan programs without being either a showcase for the industry or portraying caravan users as some sort of Morris Dancing oddball show off's, question is who would watch them, and there is the dilemma.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts