BBQ vs electric. A change in thinking.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
When away we always live almost completely from the Cadac, but with this ridiculous gas shortage maybe a change in thinking is required for us. So for those who don't use a Cadac, what are the best non gas options out there. And why?

As we will be away for a month, gas could become critical. A spend is needed.

What I wouldn't give for an electric Cadac.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just a thought I now run the cadac of off a blue camping gaz cylinder. They are still available according to me local outlet. But more expensive than Calor. Can that be true says I? But unfortunately “yes”.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When away we always live almost completely from the Cadac, but with this ridiculous gas shortage maybe a change in thinking is required for us. So for those who don't use a Cadac, what are the best non gas options out there. And why?

As we will be away for a month, gas could become critical. A spend is needed.

What I wouldn't give for an electric Cadac.
I know there is a shortage of cylinders, but never knew there was a shortage of gas itself?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I think every caravan has a cooker (hob, oven and grill) use it!

Each to their own. If you want your caravan seating and bedding to smell of stale food thats your choice, why the attitude?

The post is about an alternative to Cadacs.

Oct 17, 2008
Visit site
No attitude ment, sorry if I caused offence.
I don't like bbq's of any type and don't like smelling other people's. It has been commented that our caravan still smells like new yet it is 4 years old and is used frequently.
Cliff

Reactions: Thingy
May 24, 2014
Visit site
No problem. We have always cooked outdoors unless its torrential, for us its part of the fun. We never use the vans shower either. If i could i would buy a caravan without shower, its wasted space.

As for cooking, I do a lot on the Skottel and it tends to spit a bit when really hot so again not something we could or would cook in the caravan.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No problem. We have always cooked outdoors unless its torrential, for us its part of the fun. We never use the vans shower either. If i could i would buy a caravan without shower, its wasted space.

As for cooking, I do a lot on the Skottel and it tends to spit a bit when really hot so again not something we could or would cook in the caravan.

Goes to show how different we all are as we always use all the facilities in the caravan as we paid for them and could not be bothered to walk across the site to their facilities in the freezing cold and stand in a queue.

We also love our BBQs but always use charcoal for flavour and meat is done to perfection. :D

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Goes to show how different we all are as we always use all the facilities in the caravan as we paid for them and could not be bothered to walk across the site to their facilities in the freezing cold and stand in a queue.

We also love our BBQs but always use charcoal for flavour and meat is done to perfection. :D
As you say we are different i to use the facilities on site after all we are paying for it because at present we are next to them but we do like a BBQ but not all the time.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think every caravan has a cooker (hob, oven and grill) use it! We do !
Cliff
But to my knowledge most are gas with the occasional electric single hob. The Op's aim is to reduce his reliance on gas isn't it?

Been away for four days and no use of hob, oven or grill. But Cadac on Camping Gas, and pub.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Wasn't there an electric grill with lava rocks that heated up and then you chucked on some shavings onto the rocks for the wood effect?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wasn't there an electric grill with lava rocks that heated up and then you chucked on some shavings onto the rocks for the wood effect?

Yes there are numerous types of electric bbq. Even with a normal Cadac you can get a wood smoke effect by using hickory shavings in a small metal tin.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts