Bedfordshire Clanger or Pasty

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi Hutch
Yep I’ve made A few clangers!
The Bedfordshire version is a sweet and savoury pastry.
Gunn’s bakery in Sandy make them.

Geoff

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
GD485 said:
Hi Hutch
Yep I’ve made A few clangers!
The Bedfordshire version is a sweet and savoury pastry.
Gunn’s bakery in Sandy make them.

Geoff

The questions is boiled or baked, my understanding is traditionaly they were boiled but modern "commercial" ones seem to be baked,

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
The traditional Clanger is shaped a bit like a sausage roll. It’s made from suet pastry and has a partition to keep the meat end from mixing with jam or fruit end.
They can be baked but the suet is better steamed.
It was an invention for farm workers around the 1800’s (start of mechanised farming) much like the pasty was made for the Cornish miners.
I have made the both pasties and clangers. I much prefer th pasty.
There is a Buckinghamshire equivalents called the Badger. I think that could be just meat and veg. Maybe bacon or ham based.
I hope that helps!

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi

There has been a bit of thread regarding the Bedfordshire Clanger elsewhere on this forum.
As these “ lunch parcels” are of a similar idea to the Cornish Pasty I was wondering if there’s any other county or place name foods of a similar nature.
I have discovered a recipe ( although very vague) calling itself a Buckinghamshire bacon badger.
There must be others?

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
That sounds a lot better than the Clanger.
I’ve not heard of it before
I’ll have to have a go at baking a few.
I noticed the website is an .au top domain does that mean the Brodie isn’t too popular here.
The Aussie’s love their pies. Melbourne is pie central.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
GD, I think the bakers in Sandy is the only place around us that still makes "The Clangers" I will have to take a trip over there when at the St Neots C&CC site.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I’m sure they are the only regular maker of the Clanger but even they only make a few and on certain days. It’s a long time since I bought some from there. Make sure they have some before making the trip.
Personally I’m not all that impressed with the Clanger idea but it’s worth trying once.
A good Pasty knocks the socks off the Clanger.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Speaking of regional food I've not seen a decent (nice and greasy) lardy cake since I used to pass the pie shop in Devizes Market Place each day to and from school :( in the 1960s.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Speaking of regional food I've not seen a decent (nice and greasy) lardy cake since I used to pass the pie shop in Devizes Market Place each day to and from school :( in the 1960s.

We get them via my Uncle who orders from his local baker in Hordle. Just missed the last one in the shop when in Winchester last. The indoor market in Oxford used to be a good place for them too. Up here you never see the like so I may have to resort to making them myself (Well Lucy can)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Now your talking. Lardy cake..... you can hear the arteries clogging up with each mouthful!
Dorchester market is the place to get really good lardy cake.
I’ve not made any yet but I’ve got a good recipe of Hugh F Whittingstall's and I must give it a try.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Another great regional cake is the Dorset apple cake. Best with loads of clotted cream.
Last time I stayed at the C&CC site at Charmouth I got a great slice in a restaurant overlooking Lyme bay.
Nice view of the bay and my plate!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Now, talking of Artery cloggers, the Good old Aberdeen morning roll, know as Rowies or Butteries, like a flat round Heavy crossoint, only about 1000 calories each.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Proper bakers are a very rare these days.
Most supermarkets are nothing more than tanning saloons for part baked products.
There is a Real Bread campaign trying to revive the true art of baking.
Most modern breads have more to do with profit margins than taste or bread quality.
Proper bread uses four ingredients supermarket versions have 10 or more. Most are for the benefit of the producers not the customer.
It’s a shame that Modern bread is now the accepted standard for bread. How much better is local produced bread is in France.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Traditional-_Pork-_Pie-_Main.jpg

A real meal.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Certainty is. Looks like a hand formed pie crust.
Nice lard pastry and truly filled with good Pork.
A large spoonful of grain mustard and a glass of real Ale. Sunday sorted!

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
GD485 said:
That sounds a lot better than the Clanger.
I’ve not heard of it before
I’ll have to have a go at baking a few.
I noticed the website is an .au top domain does that mean the Brodie isn’t too popular here.
The Aussie’s love their pies. Melbourne is pie central.

Bridies are very popular in Scotland and available in bakery shops pretty much everywhere, softerflakier pastry than a pastie (does not necessarily mean it tastes better) but like pasties it is the filling that makes the difference.

GD485, I chose the link I posted because it had good pics, here's a non aussie one :) , http://fooddrinkfort.scot/2017/09/forfar-bridies-recipe/

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
GD485 said:
Hi Sir Haggis

I must be in a trance from all this good food, I could have sworn is said .au.
Sorry.

The first link did have .au in it's address :lol:

I think you are tripping out on good food (as opposed to being in a trance) :p

Cheers,
Anseo

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
My local delicacy is the Bakewell pudding - nothing like Bakewell tart - it is flaky pastry with jam and an almond flavoured, eggy custardy type filling that is a secret recipe....and definitely no icing on top ! Delicious :)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi Lynnybobs

Now that’s a classic. I’ve tried many times to emulate the Bakewell tart without success.
I am sitting here dribbling down me C&CC Polo shirt at the thought.
All good puds come from up north but us southern softies have to do with the Chelsea bun!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts