Beer in the fridge, no more!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That was the message from the missus on our recent trip to Sandringham. What I did was to take some food out the fridge and replace it with my beer, silly thing to do I tell ya. Is there a cooler I can get that I can attach to the 12 Volt system that I can happily fill with beer which I can leave standing in the awning. God help her if she puts any food in it. Thanks in advance.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul

we've solved this problem,have a small fridge that fits in car plugged into giggy lighter,it will fit quite a few cans or bottles of beer in ,when we get on site unplug it and hook it into the 12volt in your van! BINGO! He gets his beer and I get my cold bars of galaxy !!!!you can get them in any good outdoor shop or even argos,! Happy suppin !!!(may need some form of extension lead though to reach from the awning !

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
HI, WE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. TO RESOLVE THIS WE BOUGHT A LITTLE ELECTRICAL GADGET THAT TURNS 240V INTO 12V. WE NOW RUN A 12V COOL BOX WITH THE CIGARETTE LIGHTER STYLE CONNECTOR OFF THE CARAVAN ELECTRICS.SORRY CAN'T TELL YOU WHERE TO GET ONE AS I AM IN GERMANY BUT AT LEAST YOU NOW KNOW SUCH A GADGET EXISTS! CHEERS! DAWN

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
HI, WE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. TO RESOLVE THIS WE BOUGHT A LITTLE ELECTRICAL GADGET THAT TURNS 240V INTO 12V. WE NOW RUN A 12V COOL BOX WITH THE CIGARETTE LIGHTER STYLE CONNECTOR OFF THE CARAVAN ELECTRICS.SORRY CAN'T TELL YOU WHERE TO GET ONE AS I AM IN GERMANY BUT AT LEAST YOU NOW KNOW SUCH A GADGET EXISTS! CHEERS! DAWN
towsure!!

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
Same as T. If you have a mains point fitted to the van, its ideal for running a coolbox. These things do suffer from condensation, so sealed containers are best. You can use them in the car too (but not usually the boot)but in this case they need to be switched on 24 hours before you set off, to be cooled down adequately.

One thing I did notice was that the heat from the 240/12v adaptor attracts ants, so you need to watch where its placed

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

just one fly in the ointment. be careful if you're not on mains hookup, these coolers take a lot of power in relation to there size and can flatten a battery in a day if not a couple of hours.

Pete

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

just one fly in the ointment. be careful if you're not on mains hookup, these coolers take a lot of power in relation to there size and can flatten a battery in a day if not a couple of hours.

Pete
The camping Gaz models have a voltage sensor, such that they shut down rather than flatten the car battery

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we brought a fridge from Halfords. It plugs into 12volt in car, thenm electrics on site with optional transformer. The caravan fridge is never enough in the summer for drinks and food unless shopping daily. Then it's no holiday.

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Dawn would you mind keeping the caps lock off as the capital letters means that you are shouting and I'm sure you didn't mean to shout at us all. Ta

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
I am probaly going against the "norm" here and breaking plenty of rules!

But it has worked for me for 3 years now and plenty of cold beers later!

When I had my trailer tent I simply had a domestic table top 240 volts fridge, which I carried upright in the back of my car.

On arrival at a campsite it was the first thing I pluged into the elec supply. 2-3 hours later it was down to a cool temperature.

I have had a caravan for just over a year now, and I do the same thing, exept I keep the fridge inside the van during transport and then put it in the awning on arrival and plug into my outside elec point.

After 3 years of use it packed up, due to the fact I think, I put it on its side once for a while with out knowing.

I,ve now boughtn another one for just under

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Pete
Hi Stinky,

I think you meant make sure you are on Main hook up, as the 12v systems do use quite a lot of current and will flatten a battery quite quickly

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts