Beginner Caravan buyer requires Accessories

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Any recommendations on a Mifi device?
I bought a cheap pre loved "generic 300 mbps mifi" from CEX for about £20 ish, maybe slightly more.
Wanted something cheap as it was just a POC test. A ZTE unit turned up. Easy to set up with a SMARTY sim
3 years on we use it every time we are in the'van and take it in a rucksack or pocket when out and about and it has been excellent. Even took it to Italy last october and bought a local sim and the whole family used that for a week.
Last weekend we were away with friends on a CL and we had better signal than our friends £££ Avatex/sky setup with our ZTE/smarty setup, so we all used that.
The battery isn't great, but easy enough to run it off a portable power brick.
So the POC is still with us, and performance is good enough that I don't see any need to upgrade any time soon

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
All these helpful posts yet no-one has yet mentioned the absolute essential bits of kit so in attempt to rectify the situation:

Bottle opener and a Corkscrew!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
All these helpful posts yet no-one has yet mentioned the absolute essential bits of kit so in attempt to rectify the situation:

Bottle opener and a Corkscrew!
Why would you need either when most beer cans have a ring pull? If a bottle use another bottle or your teeth. Actually our old Landrovers from the sixties had a very useful function under the dashboard as the underneath of the shelf was ideal for opening bottles. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Bluetonic
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Ok change of plan, parents have offered up some cash as our Xmas present, as we discussed getting Wifi and having it fitted.

So we have decided on having Maxview Roam fitted by a dealership (although not the one we are buying the caravan from). Which means drilling a hole in the roof :eek: We have a choice of Struans or a dealer who Maxview suggest as an installer

Has anyone had this fitted and how does the 10 Year Ingress Warranty work by effectively piercing a hole in its shell? Slightly worried about this :unsure:

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Ok change of plan, parents have offered up some cash as our Xmas present, as we discussed getting Wifi and having it fitted.

So we have decided on having Maxview Roam fitted by a dealership (although not the one we are buying the caravan from). Which means drilling a hole in the roof :eek: We have a choice of Struans or a dealer who Maxview suggest as an installer

Has anyone had this fitted and how does the 10 Year Ingress Warranty work by effectively piercing a hole in its shell? Slightly worried about this :unsure:
The 10 year warranty will no longer apply in the are where the hole is drilled otherwise no issues.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Doesn’t the water ingress warranty cover sealed joints, so unless you are modifying a sealed joint by installing the Maxview you should have no impact on the warranty. However should you suffer water ingress around the Maxview it’s your problem to resolve.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
And if we do ever have water ingress from the Maxview, I can take it back to the dealer who fitted it?

I’ve heard the unit is pretty sealed and added sealant just for good measure. So I would hope this is all good enough :)

So the 10 year only affects where the hole is drilled, and won’t affect the rest of the shell, then hopefully all good

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sat dishes have been fitted for decades mostly without problems. Is the fitting dealer a Swift one?
Just erring on the side of caution why not ask your supplying Dealer and Swift direct if they believe the dish will adversely affect your Warranty? Below is a brief description of the Warranty . Note it covers panels for delamination. Will they count the new fixing as a seam?
The Body Shell Warranty covers any defect with the panels and seams of the caravan. This includes body leaks, delamination of panels or floor, water ingress through any permanently sealed seam joints.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
The two places I have contacted are

Struans - Dundee at https://www.struans.com/

Going through Maxview website of recommended installer, closest to me is Perth (Scotland) at https://motorhomeservicesscotland.co.uk/

Pretty sure Struans aren’t actually Swift Dealers

I may just call the dealership we are buying the caravan from, but nothing on their website at Knowepark to say they are, unless selling a Swift makes them a main dealer.
EDIT: Just checked the Swift website and it is indeed a Swift dealer, along with Perthshire Caravans, Kirkaldy and one up by Aberdeen.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts