Beginner Caravan buyer requires Accessories

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 17, 2022
Visit site
Had ours since Feb, the dealer slung in a gas bottle & a hitch lock. It came with chocks, a step, wheel brace and waste water carrier.

Take a short trip (our first was about 3 miles to a Campsite owned by a friend), that way you'll know where the local shops are when you realise what you are missing something or you can always go home to pick stuff up.

A kettle, an extension lead. We use an electric Tepenyaki grill instead of a bbq, can cook almost anything on it (even peas in a saucepan) , it saves on gas and its easy to clean.

A hook to pull the awning through the channel (much cheaper than a divorce) and a bit of fairy liquid for lubrication. If you are as tall as me a small step ladder would help.

A small bin. A mallet for the awning pegs (forgot that on the first trip further afield). A multi USB charging plug. A really cheap gardening kneeling mat from Lidl or a piece of foam, gravel pitches are hard on the knees when winding the legs down!

And after that beer and wine (in responsible quantities).

I'll see what we forget this weekend..... And when I say we I mean me

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just to add whatever you do with the awning be very careful using Fairy Liquid because if some of it runs, the streaks can be quite difficult to remove from the side of the caravan. Ideally it is best to use a silicone spray in the awning rail.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
We are actually thinking of placing the caravan in a storage where you drop it off, they then clip it onto a small tractor and move it into their secured storage yard. When we want it back they bring it out for you, which is quite convenient.

I was just thinking of what really is the difference with having a AL-KL wheel lock on each side of the caravan, and having an AL-KL Hitch Brace. Is there any realy point in having both?

I haven't been doing the insurance quotes, it's my other half. So need to find out

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We are actually thinking if putting the caravan in a storage where you drop it off, they then clip it onto a small tractor and move it into their secured storage yard. When we want it back they bring it out for you, which is quite convenient.

I was just thinking of what really is the difference with having a AL-KL wheel lock on each side of the caravan, and having an AL-KL Hitch Brace. Is there any realy point in having both?

I haven't been doing the insurance quotes, it's my other half. So need to find out
You could just as easily question why to even bother with Alko wheel locks when in secure storage as they should not be required anyway as the storage is secure. My post #29 gave the normal reason in answer to your question. It’s your decision , no one else can make it for you, other than your insurer perhaps. Over the years Ive read accounts of how quickly thieves are able to steal a caravan and twin axles being particularly desirable. Not just from storage, but from homes, and small rural sites, service areas etc too. Why make it easier for them?

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Yes right enough, when in storage I wouldn't think it was imperitive to have as much security.

But once the caravan is parked up at a Campsite, this is when more security is essential.

Not that I'm saying people on the campsite will do anything, but any theif driving in through an unsecured site could be off with one that they like the look of

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes right enough, when in storage I wouldn't think it was imperitive to have as much security.

But once the caravan is parked up at a Campsite, this is when more security is essential.

Not that I'm saying people on the campsite will do anything, but any theif driving in through an unsecured site could be off with one that they like the look of
My insurer insisted on a wheel lock and hitch lock even when stored in a CASSOA Gold site, so I used an Alko wheel lock and Alko hitch lock. When touring I used a less secure wheel lock than the Alko. It was easier to fit when on pitches be they hard or grass, or having to use a ramp.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
I suppose that’s the issue on a campsite and trying to fit the wheel locks

You have to level the caravan, then try line up where the lock goes through the alloy

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Have a look at Lock and level. Selling point is that it takes the hassle out of two Alko locks on a twin axle. Never used one myself as have neither a Twin Axle nor an Alko lock.
Mel

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I suppose that’s the issue on a campsite and trying to fit the wheel locks

You have to level the caravan, then try line up where the lock goes through the alloy
Which makes Lock'n'level an invaluable accessory for a Twin Axle, unless you have a self leveling system or don't use the alko wheel locks.
But even then, to level a T/A side to side I find to be a real PITA trying to use ramps.

I have no affiliation withe the company, just a VERY happy customer

Reactions: Mel
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I have requirements of one approved wheel lock, secure wheel nuts for the alloys, and hitch lock for my insurance to which I added rear corner steady locks.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If they store your caravan using a tractor that probably means no locks on it whatsoever and you may not be able to access the caravan once stored.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
That’s from Flogas who also supply conventional steel propane and butane. I’d get a second Gaslight and being much lighter than steel you save payload. Look at Flogas website for options. I think they come in 5 and 10 kg. One of each could be an option. You don’t always need to carry two. I only carried two bottles when abroad.
5 year protection :)

IMG_1513.jpeg

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Have a look at Lock and level. Selling point is that it takes the hassle out of two Alko locks on a twin axle. Never used one myself as have neither a Twin Axle nor an Alko lock.
Mel
We use a Lock and level when we had our twin axle on a seasonal pitch and a bulldog hitch lock .

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
We have previously when camping, and with having 2 kids it just burns down the battery and isn’t good for it.

That Nighthawk M1 looks good but very expensive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts