Beginning to despair!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We get a video of the check done and the used parts back as evidence without having to ask for them, which should be safer for a customer. It possibly also saves the garage a fortune in waste disposal costs, as the parts are often heavy.
Same here on the Kia and Subaru. But I had the Kia discs and pads changed at a local garage. Could impact warranty but to be honest I don’t think there’s many warranty issues on pads and discs.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Same here on the Kia and Subaru. But I had the Kia discs and pads changed at a local garage. Could impact warranty but to be honest I don’t think there’s many warranty issues on pads and discs.
I get a video from my VW dealer - it's not wonderful visually or audibly and they usually miss the body damage I caused some years ago - all in all, a non-event.

When owners are told the brakes are x% worn, it's worth checking whether brake pad wear indicators are fitted (they are to most modern cars) and then question why the dealer wants to change them early.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Further update. Got free loan car filled to the brim with fuel. Dealer did a the correct and complete servcie on the vehicle and admist there is an issue with the Serv 4WD system which would cost £1300 to repair. Due to all the hassles etc and error on their part, they will do this repair free of charge. BTW also filled my vehicle to the brim so overall pleased.
I stood my ground and was polite about the issue as I knew I was correct and had the paperwork to demonstrate that a contract was in place.
Hi Buckman Well done that a great result ..

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I get a video from my VW dealer - it's not wonderful visually or audibly and they usually miss the body damage I caused some years ago - all in all, a non-event.

When owners are told the brakes are x% worn, it's worth checking whether brake pad wear indicators are fitted (they are to most modern cars) and then question why the dealer wants to change them early.
I’ve got stereo audio brake wear pad indicators !

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
With the new Non asbestos brake pads, the discs will sometime wear out before the second set of Pads. Thats when the garages will say Brakes require replacment, I have just replaced my Santa Fe front discs at 65k miles 2 nd set of pads. ( front.)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
With the new Non asbestos brake pads, the discs will sometime wear out before the second set of Pads. Thats when the garages will say Brakes require replacment, I have just replaced my Santa Fe front discs at 65k miles 2 nd set of pads. ( front.)

That's quite hard use - my Santa Fe got to 75k on it's original pads. Asbestos was banned in 1999 apart from pre-1973 cars.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I also get a video from Volkswagen just had it first service and was satisfied with what i got .
Brakes
Front 9MM 20% worn
Rear 10MM 10% worn

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just to be clear it is the disc rotors that need to be changed and not the pads. Been looking at prices and some state that they have an audible warning. I assume thsi is when they start screetching?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Just to be clear it is the disc rotors that need to be changed and not the pads. Been looking at prices and some state that they have an audible warning. I assume thsi is when they start screetching?
Some brake pad warnings systems operate electrically with a sensor wire attached to the pads which triggers a warning in the instrument panel but audible warning usually refers to an attachment to the pad which hums like a tuning fork if it touches the disk - a bit disconcerting when you hear a new strange noise, until you work out what's causing it.

You will al;so need new pads if you have new discs - or at least you should as it's false economy not to and the new discs may wear unevenly.

Reactions: Buckman and Hutch

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
On brake "wear" more generally.
I have my suspicions the wear is greater in vehicles kept outside where dew etc causes a corrosion film that has to be wiped away each time it occurs. Surely this is causing additional attrition on top of the underlying "wear"?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Some brake pad warnings systems operate electrically with a sensor wire attached to the pads which triggers a warning in the instrument panel but audible warning usually refers to an attachment to the pad which hums like a tuning fork if it touches the disk - a bit disconcerting when you hear a new strange noise, until you work out what's causing it.

You will al;so need new pads if you have new discs - or at least you should as it's false economy not to and the new discs may wear unevenly.
Thanks for very helpful advice as never thought about replacing the pads at the same time. I am sure that our Inde would have advised anyway if I had not known.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Roger,in 25 yrs of servicing cars I've never known a car brake pads last 75k. Most cars will be around the 25-30k mark.
That's hard driving - inevitable in congested urban driving but down to driving style out on the open road - most of my cars have got to 50k or more on their original pads. The Brembo set-up on my VW Touareg are nearly 50% worn at 40k - but very impressive at stopping 2 1/4 tonnes.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My Volkswagen only on 9,000 miles so i have a bit to do for discs and pads
Mitsbushi Colt Attivo the disc and pads so far done 40,000 check at MOT said they were ok

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think those of us who tow will find that this places additional pressure on the brakes and that they will wear faster than cars not used for towing. I look like getting 36,000 out of the front brake pads but cannot say about the back as they had to be replaced due to a faulty pair of rear discs. Mt impression is that new ones do not last as well though.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That's hard driving - inevitable in congested urban driving but down to driving style out on the open road - most of my cars have got to 50k or more on their original pads. The Brembo set-up on my VW Touareg are nearly 50% worn at 40k - but very impressive at stopping 2 1/4 tonnes.
The Brembo discs and pads are the ones that I would prefer on my Jeep. Having checked all the paperwork since the Jeep was first delivered brand new to the previous owner, it seems that it eats brakes. LOL!
Oct 2014 at 14633 miles the Jeep dealer replaced the front brake pads only at a cost of £163.65. The rear brakes had 40% wear. Oct 2015 at 27444 miles the front brakes were showing 70% wear and the rear brakes 20%. Seems the rear brakes had regenerated themselves?
Oct 2016 at 32410 miles the rear brake pads were replaced at a cost of £80.33 and also the front brake discs and pads were replaced at the same time at a cost of £348. Seems front brakes only last about 15000 miles when done by a Jeep dealer however strangely the Jeep is now on 60k miles and the front brakes are still good as confirmed by another Jeep dealer.
Maybe brakes are a money spinner for dealerships? Any comments bearing in mind that we did not own the Jeep at the time? :)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The Brembo discs and pads are the ones that I would prefer on my Jeep. Having checked all the paperwork since the Jeep was first delivered brand new to the previous owner, it seems that it eats brakes. LOL!
Oct 2014 at 14633 miles the Jeep dealer replaced the front brake pads only at a cost of £163.65. The rear brakes had 40% wear. Oct 2015 at 27444 miles the front brakes were showing 70% wear and the rear brakes 20%. Seems the rear brakes had regenerated themselves?
Oct 2016 at 32410 miles the rear brake pads were replaced at a cost of £80.33 and also the front brake discs and pads were replaced at the same time at a cost of £348. Seems front brakes only last about 15000 miles when done by a Jeep dealer however strangely the Jeep is now on 60k miles and the front brakes are still good as confirmed by another Jeep dealer.
Maybe brakes are a money spinner for dealerships? Any comments bearing in mind that we did not own the Jeep at the time? :)

A lot depends on driving methods. Seems to me that you are much gentler on braking than the previous owner.

I am also easy on the brake, driving as much as possible with anticipation. When slowing coming up to stationary traffic, I often see someone close behind me with an impatient look on their face as though they are pushing me on so I can join the traffic a few seconds earlier.

I remember one car, a Fiat 131. The rear breaks would seize through lack of use. I had to purposely brake hard every so often to keep them free.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A lot depends on driving methods. Seems to me that you are much gentler on braking than the previous owner.

I am also easy on the brake, driving as much as possible with anticipation. When slowing coming up to stationary traffic, I often see someone close behind me with an impatient look on their face as though they are pushing me on so I can join the traffic a few seconds earlier.

I remember one car, a Fiat 131. The rear breaks would seize through lack of use. I had to purposely brake hard every so often to keep them free.

John
Same happened to our rear brakes on. Citroen BX estate. Underuse through gentle driving and little load in the car led to increased corrosion. Garage told my wife to put a couple of large bags of gravel or such like in the boot. The reverse of my Singer Chamois or Skoda Estelle where the weight went in the front boot.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Same happened to our rear brakes on. Citroen BX estate. Underuse through gentle driving and little load in the car led to increased corrosion. Garage told my wife to put a couple of large bags of gravel or such like in the boot. The reverse of my Singer Chamois or Skoda Estelle where the weight went in the front boot.
On a previous 2005 Jeep bought second hand in 2012 the former owner had never used the handbrake and I always use the handbrake. On using the Jeep after aplying hand brake the brake shoes fell apart jamming up the rear wheel. Never knew that in addiotn to brake discs the vehicle also had drums on the rear? This happened in same week that I took delivery so the garage collected the Jeep on a flat bed and took it in for repair. Was delivered back to me the next day.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On a previous 2005 Jeep bought second hand in 2012 the former owner had never used the handbrake and I always use the handbrake. On using the Jeep after aplying hand brake the brake shoes fell apart jamming up the rear wheel. Never knew that in addiotn to brake discs the vehicle also had drums on the rear? This happened in same week that I took delivery so the garage collected the Jeep on a flat bed and took it in for repair. Was delivered back to me the next day.
Combination disk and drum brakes on the rear of cars has been rear solution for many years on some models - Even the Vectra had them in at the turn of the century. Discs for stopping and shoes for hand brake.

Reactions: WayneS
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i would agree with you Jcloughie i use to own a Fiat 131 mirafiori sport i can remember the rear brakes would sieze but i love driving it

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
i would agree with you Jcloughie i use to own a Fiat 131 mirafiori sport i can remember the rear brakes would sieze but i love driving it

I also thought the Mirafiori was a great car, mine was this colour.

79F96C43-5137-487B-8946-7E2F34634A66.jpeg

I used it to tow my first van a Sprite Musketeer.

FA4711AD-4EB4-4F69-BF9D-2ADBBE85BBD5.jpeg

A big van, even had a double bed that folded up against the back wall as one piece. We never gave a thought to weight them days but have always thought it must be heavy. So just tried to look it up and found this.

E2D8AFF7-5511-4058-8610-B53AE25B5C2F.jpeg

So according to that German version it was surprisingly light at 850kg.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We had a yellow one and we towed Sprite Alpine did not know we had it on the back it great for towing

Attachments

• images (5).jpg
    images (5).jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 3
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i had this one before the Fiat 131 mirafiori sport
Fiat Regata 85 Super the brakes were awful .

Attachments

• images (8).jpg
    images (8).jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 2

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts