Bending Pegs

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, I think the title of this subject sums up my issue but basicaly, when we bought our new awning it came with those grey plastic pegs. Our first long trip out at the Blue Dolphin all the pegs went into the ground fine put when we extracted them, 80% we bent and un-usable. Granted, the ground was prety hard and I did break my peg extractor trying to get a couple of them out but surly they shouldn't bend to the extreame of something that looks more like an off bannana. The obvious answer I suppose would be to buy metel pegs but these cost somewhat more than the plastic so if I buy metel, can anyone recomend a good solid metal peg.

Ta

GaryM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gary,

I bought the toughest looking pegs I could find at camping/caravanning shops, six or so at a time as required, until I had replaced all the 'banana' plastic ones. You also need a heavier metal hammer. All kept together in a schoolchilds sports shoe bag. Extra weight but worth it.

Mike E

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Gary,

You should consider matching your pegs to the pitch. For instance, the plastic pegs are fine on sandy or soft ground, but for a Caravan Club style hard stand you will need rock pegs - look like a big nail with a welded on cross piece, available in two sizes. And if you try to use rock pegs in sand, they'll just pull straight out.

Just build up two sets of pegs for your awning, one set for hard ground, one for soft.

And go to a local market that sells second hand tools, we bought an all metal club hammer (about 1 or 1.5kg) for

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gary,

You should consider matching your pegs to the pitch. For instance, the plastic pegs are fine on sandy or soft ground, but for a Caravan Club style hard stand you will need rock pegs - look like a big nail with a welded on cross piece, available in two sizes. And if you try to use rock pegs in sand, they'll just pull straight out.

Just build up two sets of pegs for your awning, one set for hard ground, one for soft.

And go to a local market that sells second hand tools, we bought an all metal club hammer (about 1 or 1.5kg) for

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Screwfix sell a six inch screw with a collar below the hexagonal head, I use a portable drill with the apropriate socket to put them in and out, they go in to gravel and stone pitches without any problem,I have never had one pull out under windy conditions. I have stopped using other pegs, as like you I got sick of them bending or breaking, even so called stone pegs bend and the plastic tops break when trying to get them out.

good luck Tony A.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That sounds good Tony ---any excuse to use the cordless drill

I use 6in nails with black plastic roofing washers but could be tempted to convert

Now where's that Screwfix Catalogue?

The cordless drill is very good for hard ground

Just drill into the ground with a wood bit of the right size and then tap in the windbreak poles at a greater depth and without splitting the wood.You can also use a smaller bit for plastic pegs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts