Bessacarr Cameo

Nov 10, 2007
Visit site
We puchased the above caravan new in April of this year. On the way home from the dealer I noticed when driving over rough roads the van appeared to bottom out on the suspension.We toured on the continent this year and the same happened when driving over rough roads. The weight of the van was checked as was the tyre pressures in the van and the car ( Volvo xc 70 2.5 turbo diesel)

On our return to the UK I contacted the manufactuers who advised the van should be returned to the dealer. The dealer took the van for a drive and experienced the same situation. Based on this a new axle and shock absorbers were installed to the van. I collected the van yesterday and when driving over a rough road, experienced the same problem, although not to the same degree.

I wondered if any other owners of this make of van have experienced the same problem.

Russell Millar

Aberdeen

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Hello Russell. Now this is only a suggestion but it maybe worth investigating: a friend of mine had the same problems as you. It turned out that his caravan chassis had the wrong axle fitted during manufacture,(ie one from a lower weight model).His dealer was most obliging and fitted a new replacement under warranty BUT, they fitted the same part number axle so the fault was still there. Apparently they copied the part number from the "old" axle onto the parts order form instead of requesting by model spec. Just a thought!

He got it sorted eventually.

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Hello Russell. Now this is only a suggestion but it maybe worth investigating: a friend of mine had the same problems as you. It turned out that his caravan chassis had the wrong axle fitted during manufacture,(ie one from a lower weight model).His dealer was most obliging and fitted a new replacement under warranty BUT, they fitted the same part number axle so the fault was still there. Apparently they copied the part number from the "old" axle onto the parts order form instead of requesting by model spec. Just a thought!

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site

Sorry for dual posting!

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
Mistakes at the manufacturer do occur. Summer before last, we encountered a French police weight check, which showed the van was significantly over the MTPLM of our Cameo. Having weighed everything I was surprised at this, and had the van weighed in full trim on our return, which confirmed the police figure near enough. Emptied van and re weighed-still over the MRO and no way to get down to this (no extras fitted). During correspondence with Bessacarr, the axle number was requested, which resulted in a replacement plate being issued, although no chassis mods were required and the factory was unable to explain the MRO discrepancy. These vans tow extremely well so anything out of the norm needs investigating. Are you sure the new shocks are ok?

Nov 10, 2007
Visit site
LaurieW

Many thanks for your note. I appreciate your comments and will take this onboard when I write to the manufacturers.

Russell

Nov 10, 2007
Visit site
Chris

Many thanks for your note. Good information when I contact the manufacturers again.All I can say re the shocks is that they were renewed when the axle was changed ( Shocks are colour coded red)

Regards

Russell

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts