Best Route around Paris

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Normally we travel to southern France via Caen, so don't need to bother about Paris.But this September will be using the Dover Dunkirk crossing so going around Paris entails along detour. The web based routes all take me into Paris on the A1 (fine) and out on the A10 (fine) but all seem to go into Paris to pick up the Periphique. Looking at those old fashioned things called maps there is the outer ring of the A26 which seems to join the A1 and A10.

What do people think of the various routes vai Paris. Any experience would be welcome.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive

A route I have used before is to take the A1 towards Paris and at C de G Airport pick up the A104/N104 and this skirts around the east and south of Paris and nowhere near the centre. Even come round part of it in the morning rush hour, even then not too bad.

David

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I know you asked for alternative routes via Paris so if that's what you want then read no further. You haven't said where in southern France but since you mention the A10, lets take Montpellier as the destination. Go via Paris and the mileage to that point is 650 or thereabouts. Go Dunkirk, Boulogne, Rouen, Chartres, Orleans and the mileage is 665 or thereabouts. Not much more in miles but very much less in toll charges.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Why go around use the Peripherique if you make a note of the junctions so that you know when to come of it is easy especially at off peak times.I have done it many times without a problem and it is a lot quicker and shorter than going around.

There is a mystique that has been built up that it is horrendous,plan ahead and it is easy.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
First stop is just north of Orleans so using Montpelier as a gauge does not really help, therwise I agree that an eastern detour around Paris is an option.

Cheers

Other Clive

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
First stop is just north of Orleans so using Montpelier as a gauge does not really help, therwise I agree that an eastern detour around Paris is an option.

Cheers

Other Clive
OOPs I should have said western not eastern.

Cheers

Other Clive

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I used Montpellier simply as a destination for comparing two routes, but if you want to use Orleans, then mileages via Paris is 251 and via Rouen 253. Tolls via Paris 46 Euroes, via Rouen 15 Euros.

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
I used Montpellier simply as a destination for comparing two routes, but if you want to use Orleans, then mileages via Paris is 251 and via Rouen 253. Tolls via Paris 46 Euroes, via Rouen 15 Euros.
Ans so much less stress ( if that's not a contradiction in terms.

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
I have done both the ring road and the Rouen route. I would always avoid Paris like the plague. My experience was that the ring road is not a single motorway like the M25 but a series of Motorways. So to go around (our overnight was just south of Orleans) you have to change lanes and do lots of merging. I found it very stressfull as cars are merging into my lane as I am trying to merge into another motorway. Would never ever ever do it again. I would think twice even if I did not have a my t/a on the back.

If you do decide to use it then a little tip is to follow signs for Bordeux when going south and signs for Lille when coming north. My tomtom was useless too - I think it though going through the city centre was a bit quicker so that go turned off.

So this year we took the Ruen route and apart from one tiny bit were you have to get off the motorway and dive into the centre it is nowere near as bad - a lot cheaper too.

The only downside is that some of it is A road through prime farming country so there is a chance of getting stuck behind the odd tractor but it is a lot less stressful and I will be using it again.

Mike Mc

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi

We drive to Andorra almost every winter and always used the route via Rouen / Chartres till this year when I entered the route into Google maps and this gave a similar distance via Paris but a time saving of about 45min. As we drive non stop from N. Yorkshire to Andorra (tunnel and fuel/wc stops of course) with three children in the car we want our journey to be as short as possible time wise.

We simply folloed the signs from Calias for Paris then followed the signs for Bordeux, then Orleans as they appeared and our journey was indeed about 45 min shorter BUT

We hit Paris late evening when roads were a bit quieter.

We were solo so the time saved was due to more time on motorways travelling at 130kph / 84mph which is and advantage lost with the caravan.

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi

We drive to Andorra almost every winter and always used the route via Rouen / Chartres till this year when I entered the route into Google maps and this gave a similar distance via Paris but a time saving of about 45min. As we drive non stop from N. Yorkshire to Andorra (tunnel and fuel/wc stops of course) with three children in the car we want our journey to be as short as possible time wise.

We simply folloed the signs from Calias for Paris then followed the signs for Bordeux, then Orleans as they appeared and our journey was indeed about 45 min shorter BUT

We were solo so the time saved was due to more time on motorways travelling at 130kph / 84mph which is and advantage lost with the caravan.
Garfield just a query you didn't happen to be in the raf in the middle 80's by any chance

G

All this information is excellent if you are coming from Calais, but what if you are coming south from Begium/Holland. As I arrive in Amsterdam I would obviously like to go straight south, but to avoid Paris I usually end up heading west towards Rouen and then follow the standard route south.

If I could get round Paris relatively easily, then it would e an advantage for me. I could of course take the west Peripherique and follow the advice given by others, but anyone taken the east side round?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive

Just come back from France and on outward/inward journeys I used the A104/N104 with no problems at all. From the north this route allows you easy access to the A4/A5/A6. I used satnav - pre-programmed, no probs. Speed averages about 50mph.

Cheers

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive

Just come back from France and on outward/inward journeys I used the A104/N104 with no problems at all. From the north this route allows you easy access to the A4/A5/A6. I used satnav - pre-programmed, no probs. Speed averages about 50mph.

Cheers

John

Sep 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi

What happened to the commonsense and breaks, even with multi drivers. No wonder there are pile ups or do they have a speacil dispensation in Yorkshire for commonsense

Wayne

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts