Best route to Freshwater East Tenby from Cheshire

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone been to Freshwater East from Cheshire we went their in the eighties, and went M6, M5, M50, A40, staying at Tewksbury CC on the way down for the night, we came back up the A483 through Bluith Wells, Oswestry way at that time we only had a Abbey Westminster which was only around 13 1/2 feet in length 15 feet in total and weighing less than 1100kg, if l remember the roads weren’t to bad but having said that we will be towing a Lunar Clubman SE around 7.2 metre's in length, granted the tow car is a Shogun, back in the eighties it was a Ford Cortina Ghia Auto 2 litre. The motorway route is longer but l feel sure we will get better fuel economy on this route and less stressful tow, lugging it all over the black mountains. l would be grateful if anyone has done both routes and can re assure me that the A routes will be ok, if l remember the scenery is along these routes is fantastic and after all the journey is part of the holiday.
NigelH
Ps we will be travelling their late June a week after our only Daughter gets married, so has you can see it will be a big chill out for myself and for her that has to be obeyed.

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi Nigel We went to Fresh water East in 2008. We travelled from Wolves. Took the M5-M50, then overland via Abergavenny using A road all the way to Pembroke - it took AGES - it looks shorter, and the scenery was great, and on some stretches dual carriageway, but not the most relaxing.
I I were to do it again I would do M5-M50-A449-M4.
Regards

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Haven't been to Freshwater but have to west Wales and we are going to Saundersfoot in March from Shrewsbury. The motorway is miles and the road works between 11 and 8 on the M6 slow things up. We are planning to go A49 to Leominster then Brecon, LLandovery, Saundersfoot. The AA reckon 155 miles. The A49 to Leominster is steady but with few overtaking places. Lots of places to stop. The road from Leomister to Brecon is good and quite quick- not too much traffic- but watch the directions as the main road is often a turn to left or right. After Brecon the only slow part is through Llandovery- there's one quite narrow bit but OK. There are a number of club sites near this route if you want an overnight. Should you go the M4 route the club site at Tredegar House Newport is very convenient.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I'd use the A49 to Leominster route and then on to Brecon and the A40 to Llandovery to Tenby road. It is probably quicker than the motorway route as that is the main trunk route to not only south wales but also devon and cornwall. So as you can imagine it will be choca.
At Leominster you have got a Morrisons for fuel and food if you want. Presently Petrol 128.9 Diesel133.9.
I would estimate you could do the run in about 5 hours.
The sceenery is very beautifull too. You'll also have a good selection of lay-by's to stop for a brew if you want.

Have a good holiday.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks all, have decided to head the coastal route, via Bala and onto Aberystwyth, hopefully l can book a CL nearby or stay at the CC site at Aberaeron. If anyone has done this route please let me know if its the wrong decision.
NigelH

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Nigel.
The coast road from Harlech has nasty stone walls along it's verge litterally ready to clobber the van with. Also there is a 1 in 5 hill out of Aberystwyth that is a swine to climb. You will be up hill down dale all the way to cardigan. Beautifull sceenery though. One tip. Don't stay at Morfa Bycan just out of Aberystwyth, It has a single track one way lane route for access and you are perched right on top of the cliff. Get a S W blow and you realy know it. There is a good Morrisons at Aberystwyth for food and fuel though.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Steve for your info, won't be going the Harlech route will be travelling down the A483 to Welshpool and cutting across to Aberystwyth, we will be staying at the CC site at Aberaeron, not to worried about the hills the Shogun has bags of power but its a thirsty beast, l had contemplated going Bluithwells way but l think that’s more hilly than the coast road.
The other way was down to Tewksbury and down the M5, M50 and A40 but has someone pointed out from Macclesfield its some 60 miles longer, so we will take our time and do the coast road has we have never done this route before.
NigelH
Ps l had a Rover 75 2.5 V6 with all the toys, brilliant car, only sold it when the wife gave me the Shongun back when the NHS cut back a fuel allowence, she's a district nurse they didn't seem to mind when she was the only one making visits in the bad weather, miss the Rover somtimes it was the smoothest car l have ever drove.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts