BEST TOWCARS: BMW 530d

Aug 22, 2005
Visit site
I have the current BMW 530d automatic and tow a TEC 595TK (1500kg) twin axel. The car feels restrained when towing at 60mph. Hills are no challenge, it will embarass many a lesser car away from the trffic lights and tows at about 22mpg. Solo,80 mph is 1800revs and 40mpg,what could be better!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Miles - couldn't agree more - I tow a 1300kg Caravelair Eden with a 525d Auto Touring and get pretty much the same mpg solo & towing as you do. The only irritating thing is solo drivers overtaking on the flat at 60+mph, then slowing me up when they get to the hills as they don't have enough power to keep going - "Got to get past that slow caravan" syndrome! Sat Nav is the icing on the cake - saves lots of arguments.

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
Miles - couldn't agree more - I tow a 1300kg Caravelair Eden with a 525d Auto Touring and get pretty much the same mpg solo & towing as you do. The only irritating thing is solo drivers overtaking on the flat at 60+mph, then slowing me up when they get to the hills as they don't have enough power to keep going - "Got to get past that slow caravan" syndrome! Sat Nav is the icing on the cake - saves lots of arguments.
I am looking at buying a replacement for my old Citroen XM and have seen a few 5 series BMWs which seem perfect. Can you give any advice about the car? Would the 535 be very costly on fuel? What sort of weight can you tow with the 530d?

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think that Kanga is being a bit naughty and trying to wind up the 4x4 owners I run a 530d manual touring and I am very pleased with it's performance but I don't think that is any better than than anyone elses choice of towing vehicle as long as they have enough grunt to cope with the van being towed. and I must say that 4x4 traction has got to be better for the odd time that we get bogged down on a muddy field , and I have been pleased to accept help from a kind 4x4 owner the one time that it happened to me . Ron.C

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am looking at buying a replacement for my old Citroen XM and have seen a few 5 series BMWs which seem perfect. Can you give any advice about the car? Would the 535 be very costly on fuel? What sort of weight can you tow with the 530d?

Thanks
Most of the 5 series 3.0+ Tourings have a kerbweight of about 1800 kg, a noseweight limit of around 90kg, and towing limits of around 2000kg. The 85% recommendation will give you a van MTPLM of 1530kg, but if you're an experienced vanner, and towing a twin axle you can probably exceed this up to 100% of the car's kerbweight. I'd go for a diesel any day, as the mpg and torque is much better than the equivalent petrol and performance is pretty similar. They're also heavier. Make sure it's got a full BMW service history and the mileage can be verified. Try to buy one with an extended BMW warranty, as when these beasties go wrong, they go wrong big time - and very expensively. Mines now done 116000 miles, and since passing the 100k mark has gone wrong 3 times, requiring 6 new injectors, a new turbo and a rewire to the engine. Fortunately all done under the excellent warranty, otherwise about

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts