Beware of black ice

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife just gone out to take some rubbish to the bins and the next minute had a nasty fall , she has fallen backwards and hurt her left side from the head to her ankle so far she in a lot pain, so i am keeping a close check on her .this morning .
Happy New Year

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hope that your wife feels better soon. I’m always out first and our rear patio is York paving which holds shallow areas of water that freeze over. My future jobs list includes getting rid of it and laying block paving. Might even be a self funding project as the slabs were very expensive so the previous owners told us. A case of form over function I’m afraid.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hope that your wife feels better soon. I’m always out first and our rear patio is York paving which holds shallow areas of water that freeze over. My future jobs list includes getting rid of it and laying block paving. Might even be a self funding project as the slabs were very expensive so the previous owners told us. A case of form over function I’m afraid.
Hi otherclive given her some painkillers and now having a nap . i have now put some salt down .near the backdoor and bins

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
They don't grit our cul del sac so cars sliding around in the mornings trying to get out towards the main roads. Safer to walk on the snow sitting on top of the grassed areas than walk on the pavement or road.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My wife just gone out to take some rubbish to the bins and the next minute had a nasty fall , she has fallen backwards and hurt her left side from the head to her ankle so far she in a lot pain, so i am keeping a close check on her .this morning .
Happy New Year
That's not a good way to begin the new year.
Keep her warm and give your wife a warm sweet drink to help with shock.
It might be best to phone an ambulance for the crew to take a look at your wife just in case.
My other half fell over on a supermarket car park just before Christmas and has broken her ankle.

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch and Beachball
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It might be best to phone an ambulance for the crew to take a look at your wife just in case.
My other half fell over on a supermarket car park just before Christmas and has broken her ankle.
Hope that your wife isn’t feeling too uncomfortable and the fall didn’t spoil her Christmas. Two casualties in such a short time, and real winter isn’t upon us yet. 😷

A Happy New Year anyway.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hope she is alright soon. My wife fell on her bum in Oct. Day 1 of our only trip this year in Derbyshire. She insisted in standing on the step to wipe the condensation off the inside of the Fiamma. And lost her balance. Had to get a wheelchair from the Chesterfield mobility who were really helpful. Then came home a week early. X-ray was clear but bruising had appeared down the thigh. Hospital said that was normal as it’s the draining point for that muscle. They said it would take 6 weeks, and they were right.

Tell her to take it easy and keep the feet raised.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
OMG Beachball what a start to 2021😢
Hopefully your wife has no broken bones . Keep an eye on her for on going pain which maybe a fracture. Head injury wise there can be delayed reactions. If a head ache develops defo contact a medic or 111. I was only thinking this morning how pretty our field and woods are looking. A real hidden danger.
Wishing a speedy safe recovery DD.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Parksy i hope your other half makes a speedy recovery ...
Happy New Year

Last edited:
Reactions: Parksy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Latest update thanks for all the Get Well wishes as you know my wife a nurse she wants to see how it goes for a couple days if no better i will take her to the hospital .

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Our path was lethal at 5am today as I went to work, nearly fell myself, ice with rain on top was v nasty. I hope she's feeling a bit better. Paracetamol and ibuprofen together is pretty effective if she can take them and max dose; nurses told me when I had my new hips to not be brave and keep to the max dose and it builds up. Either that or a good brandy and pampering. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our path was lethal at 5am today as I went to work, nearly fell myself, ice with rain on top was v nasty. I hope she's feeling a bit better. Paracetamol and ibuprofen together is pretty effective if she can take them and max dose; nurses told me when I had my new hips to not be brave and keep to the max dose and it builds up. Either that or a good brandy and pampering. Wishing her a speedy recovery.
Hi JezzerB so far she been taking Co-codamol and Codeine and sleeping most of the day on the bed I made her a hot drinks and a meal .
Thanks for the Get Well Wishes .

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I hope both wife's are recovering, Lots of TLC from the hubbys i hope.
Parksy, Elaine send her love and tell Carol to play it along, even when her ankle is repaired. .

No Frost or snow here in RMK. But heard reports of "This years beast from the East" is growing. Expect it in two weeks.
Stay safe folks. Oh yes and
HAPPY New year.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I hope both wife's are recovering, Lots of TLC from the hubbys i hope.
Parksy, Elaine send her love and tell Carol to play it along, even when her ankle is repaired. .

No Frost or snow here in RMK. But heard reports of "This years beast from the East" is growing. Expect it in two weeks.
Stay safe folks. Oh yes and
HAPPY New year.
Hi Hutch she getting alot TLC and thanks for the Get Well Wishes
Happy New year

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hope she’s ok BB, was lethal around here this morning.

Kev
Hi Kev her left ankle is badly swollen taking a lot of painkillers she check her toes out can move them but next to the big toe, two toes are giving, some concerns.
Thanks for get well wishes

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Took dogs out on my mobility scooter at 4,30am this morning it was lethal today (black ice) the front end went one way and the back end another way .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i took my wife to the doctor yesterday she borrow one of my walking sticks and was examine and said her Knee & ankle was badly bruised and given some anti inflammatory to rest it as much as she can so it more TLC . Now i am not allowed out because of this third Lockdown my son has to take our dogs for a walk today

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to read of your wife's fall. What a way to start this bright and everything's going to be alright new year.
Hope she recovers quickly.
Hi ProfjohnL Thanks for the kind words, luckily just needs to rest and have the patience till back fighting fit. Not as much as some going through so keep thinking positive.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well today our paths are lethal had some sleet showers my son put some salt down just in case my wife taking the dogs out for there walk.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts