Big mistake??

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Having just down graded from a 4x4, i bought a renault laguna DCI to tow my van. The problem is i got the gross plated weight of the van wrong, the cars kerb weight is 1385 kgs, and the vans GPW is 1400 kgs.

Now only me and the wife travel and we are never anywhere near the vans gpw and i am an experienced tower and a hgv driver, but i need the legal angle on this, if i keep the vans weight below the cars weight and stay within my gross train weight am i still legal, or is it a simple fact that as the vans gpw exceeds the cars kerb weight i am breaking the law.?

I cannot easily change the car or the van.

Its the legal angle i really need please. Tim

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
So long as you stay below the maximum permissible towload and maximum permissible gross train weight specified by the manufacturer and you passed your driving test before the 1st January 1997, you'll be OK legally.

According to the information I have, the Laguna DCI may tow up to 1500kg so you could load the van up to its MTPLM without a problem. However, if you do so, then in order to stay below a max. gross train weight of 3100kg, the car may only be loaded to 1700kg, i.e. with 315kg payload over the kerbweight. Conversely, if the car is fully laden to 1980kg, you may only tow 1120kg. (I hope I've got all the figures for the Laguna correct. They were taken straight out of the Renault website. Otherwise, you would have to adjust to the specific limits for your model.)

If you passed your driving test after 1st January 1997, you will have to have a B+E licence in order to tow a trailer weighing more than the kerbweight of the car.

I hope it's not all too complicated.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
ps: For the purpose of validity of your driving licence if you passed your driving test after the 1st January 1997, it's the maximum allowable mass (MAM) of the trailer which counts, NOT its actual weight.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
So long as you stay below the maximum permissible towload and maximum permissible gross train weight specified by the manufacturer and you passed your driving test before the 1st January 1997, you'll be OK legally.

According to the information I have, the Laguna DCI may tow up to 1500kg so you could load the van up to its MTPLM without a problem. However, if you do so, then in order to stay below a max. gross train weight of 3100kg, the car may only be loaded to 1700kg, i.e. with 315kg payload over the kerbweight. Conversely, if the car is fully laden to 1980kg, you may only tow 1120kg. (I hope I've got all the figures for the Laguna correct. They were taken straight out of the Renault website. Otherwise, you would have to adjust to the specific limits for your model.)

If you passed your driving test after 1st January 1997, you will have to have a B+E licence in order to tow a trailer weighing more than the kerbweight of the car.

Thanks Lutz, i have now been told that the 1500kgs is for driver only and in other cases, like my wife and some luggage it drops to just 1100 kgs.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com

That's basically what I wrote, too. It's important that car and caravan together don't weigh more than the max. permissible gross train weight. So, if the car is heavier, the caravan has to be lighter.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, if you've got the car fully laden to its max. GVW of 1980kg, then you've got 1120kg left as your max. towload, assuming the figure of 3100kg that I have for Gross Train Weight of the Laguna is correct.

Don't forget, however, that the noseweight is included in the GVW of 1980kg, not in the towload. On the one hand this means that you have to make an allowance for the noseweight when loading the car, i.e. when you're towing you may not put as much luggage in the back of the car. But it does also mean that the total weight of the caravan may be 1120kg PLUS the noseweight. (The towload is defined as the axle load of the trailer, not its total weight.)

I hope you're still with me.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Yes, if you've got the car fully laden to its max. GVW of 1980kg, then you've got 1120kg left as your max. towload, assuming the figure of 3100kg that I have for Gross Train Weight of the Laguna is correct.

Don't forget, however, that the noseweight is included in the GVW of 1980kg, not in the towload. On the one hand this means that you have to make an allowance for the noseweight when loading the car, i.e. when you're towing you may not put as much luggage in the back of the car. But it does also mean that the total weight of the caravan may be 1120kg PLUS the noseweight. (The towload is defined as the axle load of the trailer, not its total weight.)

I hope you're still with me.
Thanks Lutz that has cleared everything up for me, i thought i was going to have to get another car, but as its only me and the wife there is no problem.

Renault really need to make this much clearer in their handbooks.

Thanks again, a lot off my mind.

Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts