"Big Up Retirement Massive"

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I retired at age 50 from teaching I did some supply at the primary school next door but one to our house

One day aweek getting up at the time I normally left and no car fuel or parking and I was earning more with my pension and supply pay than I was full time as a head of school

No regrets!!

G

Ray, 'retired at 52' Wow, what job did you have then? I retired at 60 after the required 40 years of slog. Unfortunately, I did not get 40 years of pension as I changed jobs a good number of times, but we did manage to put away asmall cache of cash which hopefully will cover us. Plan B is to be bankrupt and get Gordon to cover us.

The downside of retiring, or reaching the age of 60 is that I have found that many parts of my body have also decided enough is enough and the number of aches and pains I now have is very frustrating. Being told by the docs that this is normal 'for a person of your age' is not really what you want to hear when all you want to do is get out there and run around like a spring rabbit.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Totally agree Scotch lad, AstraZeneca ( the old ICI for those who can remember) retired me at 56, why! Because they seem to think the Indians and Chinese can produce the drugs cheaper and better, Gordon Brown agrees has he was seen shaking hands with AZ chairmen in China on the new plant they are opening, bet BMW wouldn't go down that line give the Germans their due look after their own first.

Not bothered about myself l got a good package but what about the young no future under this lot for them. that's for sure.

NigelH

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Ray, 'retired at 52' Wow, what job did you have then? I retired at 60 after the required 40 years of slog. Unfortunately, I did not get 40 years of pension as I changed jobs a good number of times, but we did manage to put away asmall cache of cash which hopefully will cover us. Plan B is to be bankrupt and get Gordon to cover us.

The downside of retiring, or reaching the age of 60 is that I have found that many parts of my body have also decided enough is enough and the number of aches and pains I now have is very frustrating. Being told by the docs that this is normal 'for a person of your age' is not really what you want to hear when all you want to do is get out there and run around like a spring rabbit.
hey SL

they do tell me that you know when your getting old when :-

"you get up in a morning and something doesn't work that worked perfectly well the day before"

in which case I have been old a very long time,O)

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Pat can highly recommend it hope you have the chance sometime, like l said to the wife, wish l had applied for this job earlier, she's in the same boat has you, she has worked for the NHS for 40 years last 15 of them has a sister on the district, last 5 years managing but still won't let trained nurses go, so that spoils our hobby.

Never mind told her to drop too 3 days a week at least we will get long weekends.

Nige

May 19, 2009
Visit site
Having retired from the building game at 51 & now 6years on lifes great. I shoot September till middle Febuary & work the dogs.

Spring comes round & time to think about the garden & veg.

Me & the Mrs taken up golf for this summer & been caravaning for 35 years now, so we can now go to all our favourite sites with the golf clubs.

This IS life & not a practice run. Go for it as soon as you can.

Nov 11, 2008
Visit site
I was lucky in that, as a workaholic, I ended up needing a triple heart by-pass at the age of 58. That nice Mr Blair made sure that I didn't have to wait the usual 18 months for the operation so I was done and dusted very quickly. However, this made me realise my own mortality and the concept of 'enjoying life'. since then we toted Italy, Germany, switzerland and of course Spain. We get out and about as pften as we can and for as long as we can. The one thing that irritates me is those who say, "Arn't you "lucky" having a good pension. I paid into it even when at times I couldn't really afford it. I was never "lucky" to have it. Mind you, 'now' I am lucky!

G

Without wishing to denigrate anyone's personal circumstances, it is more than likely the case that if you have a final salary pension scheme, whether it be private or public service, then you did not pay for it entirely.

If you add up your contributions and even those put in by the employer, then it is unlikely they will make a sufficient 'pot' to pay out the pension you are getting, especially if you are on 2/3'rds final salary. To get a pension of say

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Before retirement i use to go seafishing from Rye, booking the boat for 12 times a year, we also use to go over to France etc with our m/h or caravan. We lived in Essex and deceided it would be nice to be near RYE/Dover so we moved.So far i have fished twice and only gone over the other side once a year and thats in 11 years of retirement, why?. Our place has three gardens all of which take a lot of care plus the pair of us got more unhealthy living in this fresh air, i have had three ops Wife heart problems and so on. Our Son said we should never retired.Can't win can you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts