Biggest mistake?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Be honest please.....

Thinking about when you maybe (well hopefully) first started caravanning, what's the silliest thing you have ever done?

Just so I don't upset anyone, this thread also applies to ex-caravanners and motorhomers.

Me - well, drove into the motorway services up North somewhere and 'parked' my outfit and then realised I hadn't got a hope in hell of towing the outfit out again (no room). My good friend (lorry driver) was with me and she sorted it out for me. Good lesson learned by me that day!

Lisa

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
Ok, ok, it was when we first started and was still a bit green, we set up between some grumpy old people in their vans they've had from new, done it all, you dont want to do it like that do it like this, etc, etc

G

Cursed and swore as the gas would run zero in the van for a night and morning and then remembered the hidden main cut off taps under the cooker!

Forgot that we'd taken the awning down the night before so ready to move on and nipped out into the absent awning for something straight out of bed and naked.

Van unhitched but electrics not and drove away!

I would suggest anyone with a caravan makes sure they have spares and wiring diagram and some sort of spare for the break away cable. We've seen both left attached so many times and have run and shouted quite a few times as the driver looks bemused and pulls away from the van.

New vanners should remember A frame shrouds are not seats or steps.

The worst we've seen is people who seem to think that they or the little lady can hold their newly purchased van on a slope and unhitch the car before the van is leveled and the stays set.

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Euro wrote:

"Forgot that we'd taken the awning down the night before so ready to move on and nipped out into the absent awning for something straight out of bed and naked."

Yeah,yeah, thats your story........

G

:) :)

Gods honest Gavin.

It was our first time with caravan in southern Britanny and it had rained and rained so we decided to move on.

Of course the day we decided to move the sun came out, my wife reconed I put the family of French women and girls upposite off their petit dejeuner. But the young German lady next to us was quite friendly ;-)

My daughters were mortified and hid as we drove off a short time later as I waved ( my hand ) and the first record that came on the radio a bit down the road was theat streeker tune about running naked through the "pole Beans".

We left the sun and drove to where the rain had moved to as well :-(

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Following a locals directions to the golf club at Sidmouth for a rally the road got narrower and narrower and steeper and steeper (coast road to the west). The clutch was really struggling.

We rang the rally officers and a local rallier came up and led us down a lane that looked impassable and got us out of a very embarassing situation.

The man refused point blank to even take a bottle of wine for his troubles.

Thankyou CC Devon and Cornwall Area - still much appreciated almost 18 months on.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Hmmmm,

went to southport cc site for xmas and new year a few years ago

got into the festive spirit and bought some pretty lantern type fairy lights and adorned them round the top of the 'van. 3 am in the morning the wind got pretty bad, have you ever heard 40 plastic lanterns drumming on the outside of 'van?.

never used again anyone want to buy.

Will

G

We heard tell of a couple whose first Caravan trip in a borrowed caravan was for their Honeymoon !

This is a family site, so will leave to your own conclusions.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Biggest mistake? I'll let you know after the summer holiday, when we will find out if the motorhome was worth all the heartache and expense, it's given us so far.

That and the first time I put an awning up, I tried doing it inside out first!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Will, I think it was on here that I read the story of a caravanner who had a noisy family in the van next door. In the early hours of the morning he threw some bread onto the neighbours roof. Can you imagine the noise the crows made as dawn broke?

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
Here's one,

Friends that we caravan with towed their van home this year not realising that they had left a bottle of " thetford blue " on the shelf in their rear bathroom.

Imagine their surprise and joy upon returning home and opening the door, they await the insurance report !

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Yes Emmerson

I read that one too here's another one for the birds.

Sitting in my brand new avondale our brand new highly polished mondeo sitting outside feeling all at peace with the world, then a tap tap tapping from outside, could not figure out where it was coming from went to investigate and found a seagull trying to make love to its own reflection on the door of the car

Will

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Euro.

We spent our honeymoon in a caravan at Castleton in Derbyshire!

My dad towed his brand new Abbey GT214 there and we followed in our old Vauxhall Victor 2.3. I remember sitting out the front of the van and some young Scottish kids came to see us and we ended up reading them stories from their books. The most embarassing bit was that they came to call for us each morning to read them a story! We used to lie on the caravan floor and pretend to be out.

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
my parents,my sister and us met at my parents to set off on hol last year all our caravans lined up on the drive ready to go hooked my parents up no probs hooked our up no probs hooked my sisters up no probs all 3 couples checked each others caravans and cars , everythings great so my dad set off followed by us got to the top of the road ?????????wheres my sister???????

hadnt lifted the hitch lock enough can only assume the green band hadnt quite been visable so when they put their foot down the car went the caravan just fell on the floor oooopps

my sister was destraught when she rang me as i sat waiting up the road, wouldnt care but shed only used the van once before wed been vanning a year but my dad who checked everything had been vanning 25years what a muppet he felt i might add all this was 1am

still makes us all piddle ourself though

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts