Bike carrier for Shogun

jo3

Jul 3, 2007
Visit site
Would welcome advice on bike carriers for our old-shape 56 plate Shogun LWB.
We have a rear wheel mounted carrier which carries 2 bikes and just about fits between the car and caravan, but I've never been very impressed by it. Is there a towball mounted rack to fit cars with a rear mounted wheel, because I haven't seen one. I know that this wouldn't be useful when towing the van but we have the wheel mounted one for that. Would ideally like a 4-bike rack and not too concerned about the cost. Also, are there any drawbacks with towball racks?
Secondly, does anyone have an opinion on roof mounted racks? They look very practical, in as much as the bikes appear solidly fixed and they don't add to the length of the vehicle, but I worry about how dificult it is lifting bikes onto the roof of a very high car.
Thanks
Jo

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jo.
Bike racks have been discussed several times before on the forum, you might like to try and use the search box at the top of the page - it might help, try searching on "Bike Racks"

In essence there particular issues with towball mounted racks.
I don't know about racks specifically for the Shogun, but I suspect that a wheel and four bikes on the back door is going to casue quite a few problems with the bike liable to come into contact with the caravan body when turning corners. and you have to consier the extra load the rack will impart on the towbar which has to be accounted for within the capacity of the towbar nsoe load capacity.

There are several forum members with Shoguns, perhaps they will have some more constructive news for you.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
We put the three children's bikes on the roof and with the vehicle height find it's a two person job to get them up there. They are very firm when attached and we're pleased with it. We do however leave our bikes at home when the van is coming away as we tend to walk the dog while they cycle. Currently looking at ball mounted to put a couple more bikes on for use at home. It's a bit of a minefield!! So far the Thule ones look the best bet but you do need to be careful which one you get as some fold out of the way of the back of the car more easily than others. Worth a look on their website too. Got a mont blanc system for the roof but in hindsight feel should of gone for the thule one for the roof too.

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts