Bike rack advice

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I was hoping to add a bike rack to the back of my Land Rover Freelander 2 to take bikes while touring. I tow a Swift Sport 586. As long as the bikes don't interfere with the hitch head, is it ok to have bikes on the back of the car while towing?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Nathan,

Yes you can have bikes on the back of the car and tow, BUT there are some things you should be aware of.

First of all, if any of the bike rake takes its support from the tow bar or hitch, then you have account for the load it imparts on the tow bar and make sure you don't exceed the towbar's load limits when you hitch the caravan.

Secondly, you must also be aware that having the bikes on the rear of the tow vehicle, they may impede the caravans turning circle.

Thirdly, and especially when running without the caravan, make sure your cars numberplate and driving road lights are fully visible, otherwise you will need to get a numberplate and lights board.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I used to travel with two bikes on a rack at the back of the car. The plate was permanently fitted behind the towball with two square tubes slotting in when required. It carried the bikes well but restricted access to the load area of the estate car. Only once when I was reversing the outfit did the jockey wheel post press on the front wheel of the outside bike causing the wheel to buckle slightly.

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi Nathan

We have a Zafira Tourer and have a bike rack on the rear of our car and carry two bike without any problems, as you said as long as the bikes are high enough to miss the hitch and also the jockey wheel handle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts