Bike rack

Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Hi All,
Does anyone know if Sterling/Swift do an after market bike rack for my Sterling Eccles Quartz SE 2013.
I look forward to all your comments/posts.
Thanks
Carl ;)

Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Hi Craig,
No fittings at all on mine, yours looks really good, thats just what Im after.
The neareast dealer to me is Swindon caravan centre, but as I brought it private last August and not from them, me thinks they probably wont entertain me..

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Not wishing to scaremonger Carl, but I do think it’s worthwhile mentioning not only the additional load of the bike rack and bikes, but more significantly the potential effect of this load when attached at height to the rear of your van.

Most swift models from the past few years (starting from 2016, or maybe even 2015 ? ) have the standard Thule cycle rack bars, but you won’t see many carrying bikes. Depending on the type and number of bikes you want to carry, having some 30-50KG’s dangling of the back of the van, especially at such a height is considered by many (myself included) to be a far from ideal way of configuring your van’s payload. On a Motorhome, I wouldn’t think twice, but not on a caravan, especially not a single axle. Our bikes are on the roof of the car.

Safe travels,

Ic.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
That's why I said if there's no fittings there to have one fitted try to put them on his car on a bike roof rack.
Also carl , what is your towing veicle thaf your using ?

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
I think he’s towing with his bike at the moment Craig, but after finding it hard going, and since he’s not getting any younger, fancies something like your outfit :p

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Apart from the weight on the back causing potential instability you also have to deduct the weight of the rack and bikes from the available payload. Most loading allowances are pretty minimal to begin with and even worse if you have a mover, so before you buy do your arithmatic and see if you can live with the reduced payload.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Carlbrit said:
Hi Craig,
... I brought it private last August and not from them, me thinks they probably wont entertain me..

I don't think any dealer would turn work away unless they have no workshop capacity to deal with it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Not wishing to scaremonger Carl, but I do think it’s worthwhile mentioning not only the additional load of the bike rack and bikes, but more significantly the potential effect of this load when attached at height to the rear of your van.

Most swift models from the past few years (starting from 2016, or maybe even 2015 ? ) have the standard Thule cycle rack bars, but you won’t see many carrying bikes. Depending on the type and number of bikes you want to carry, having some 30-50KG’s dangling of the back of the van, especially at such a height is considered by many (myself included) to be a far from ideal way of configuring your van’s payload. On a Motorhome, I wouldn’t think twice, but not on a caravan, especially not a single axle. Our bikes are on the roof of the car...

The matter of carrying bicycles on the rear of a caravan is not black and white, there are a lot of if's and buts. But the number of caravan axles should not make any significant difference, except that TA's generally are longer than SA's but not always so.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Icaru5 said:

Most swift models from the past few years (starting from 2016, or maybe even 2015 ? ) have the standard Thule cycle rack bars, but you won’t see many carrying bikes. Depending on the type and number of bikes you want to carry, having some 30-50KG’s dangling of the back of the van, especially at such a height is considered by many (myself included) to be a far from ideal way of configuring your van’s payload. On a Motorhome, I wouldn’t think twice, but not on a caravan, especially not a single axle. Our bikes are on the roof of the car...

“the number of caravan axles should not make any significant difference, except that TA's generally are longer than SA's but not always so.”

Of course it should make a difference, and a significant one.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I've obsessed over the payload of my Sprite (which has the Thule bike rack bars) and have weighed every single item placed inside from duvets to cutlery to a spare tennis ball for the dog. Even a small Ikea bamboo chopping board was weighed (267g). What this obsession has led me to is a realisation that the payload does not go very far. With all the caravan specific items loaded and taking into account 'fixed accessories' such as the leisure battery and motor mover, we were looking about 30-50KG spare with the fridge empty.

Fitting a bike rack and carrying 2 bikes would certainly wipe-out any remaining payload, more so if I wanted a second Propane bottle. If I ever considered taking bikes away, I don't currently own a car mounted bike rack, and wanted to use the Thule system on the van, I would certainly need to pay for the MTPLM to be replated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts