Bilbao and onward

Oct 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi

We will be arriving in Bilbao at 8am on Sunday 7th Oct, does anyone know if filling stations are open on the route to Zaragoza or would it be better to disembark with a full tank of fuel. Also I have heard that sat nav is not allowed in Spain, this I find hard to belive, does anyone know??

Regards

Rod G

Mar 27, 2007
Visit site
hi rod i have used sat nav around spain and portugal for the last few years and not had a problem ,i would,nt advise ariving with little or no fuel the filling stations on the motorways are open sundays happy hols peter

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Rod G....Sat Nav is legal in Spain. However, so is the wearing of crash helments but many ignore it!

You will find the motorway services will be open for fuel and they are quite frequent. Many rural and town service stations however, will be closed on Sundays. I suggest you don't run too low on fuel because you will need to get your route bearings sorted out first but a full tank is not necessary, enough to cover 100 miles or so should be sufficient. When we left Bilbao in June diesel was 0.94_ (66p) so when you return to the UK fill your tank to the top.

Oct 14, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Guys, thought sat nav would be ok,if not why include it in europian mapping. Fuel info great also,roll on 5th Oct, just retired, off for 5 months hopefully in the sun,

Regards

Rod G.

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Rod G......You will have a great time, we have been to Spain now for 3 years since taking early retirement and we love every minute. We don't go until Feb/March though and usually stay till June.

You said you were travelling via Zaragoza and in another thread you have said you are going to La Manga. I have travelled from Bilbao to the Costa Blanca and I would go via A8 then AP68 to Burgos, A1/E15 to Madrid and A31 to Albacete.

There is only one toll road between Bilbao and Burgos and the rest are excellent dual carrigeways. There is also a site very close to the A1/E5 about 20 miles north of Madrid called Pica de la Miel at La Cabrera. (5/6 hours drive from Bilbao)

Also, I use the ACSI website for route planning and finding enroute campsites. If you go to their website and click on Spain, then the region you will find the sites listed. Click on La Manga to bring up the site details. Click on "Itinery" and it takes you to a route plan. Then tap Bilbao into the start point (a drop down box will ask you to specify which Bilbao) select E48000 Bilbao, then your route will be calculated. I find it is an excellent backup to take printed copies just in case the sat nav fails.

Acsi website address is: http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/

hope this helps, Mal

Oct 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Beemermal

Thanks for all the info, using the Zaragoza route then on to Manzanera via A23 to join A7 at Sagunt then down to La Manga. Recomended by Ray S who has done it for 5 yrs avoiding Madrid. Will have a close look at your route before I make a final decision. Perhaps we forum users should arrange a date to all meet in the bar and intro ourselves.

Thanks again

Rod G.

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi Rod....We stay at a campsite in Santa Pola which is about 20 miles north of La Manga (Camping Bahia, Santa Pola) I know what you mean about avoiding Madrid, I was'nt sure first time but if you have Sat Nav it will take you around Madrid on the M40 to pick up the A31 so although you are on a busy motorway you have no need to go through Madrid itself. (a bit like the M25 between the M3 and M4)

I did the run via Zaragova and onto the AP7 which is a straight forward run but it is predominately toll roads. Most probably best doing what you are comfortable with first time round.

Have a great time. Mal

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Beemermal

Thanks for all the info, using the Zaragoza route then on to Manzanera via A23 to join A7 at Sagunt then down to La Manga. Recomended by Ray S who has done it for 5 yrs avoiding Madrid. Will have a close look at your route before I make a final decision. Perhaps we forum users should arrange a date to all meet in the bar and intro ourselves.

Thanks again

Rod G.
Rod, if you use the autoroute from Zaragoza via tereul towards Valencia you will not see Manzanera signed. Look for Sirrion exit, and then get back on the old (red) road to Manzanera.

If you don't fancy this, then continue towards Valencia and try the site at Navajas - quite good but steep hills. Manzanera is looking a bit tatty now, with more statics and chalets.

From either you should get to La Manga easily the next day. Manzanera has a filling station right next to the site.

Have a good trip Ray S

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts