Bills R Us

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Had the gas people around yesterday as the central heating packed up. A new pump was fitted and hey presto! Trouble is, one of the radiators started leaking, so that had to be isolated. 'You need a powerflush chief or the other radiators are likely to go too'. After I sat down he quoted me £680.21p. Today I took my car to the garage as I guessed the brakes might need looking at. The dreaded 'phone call came. 'You need pads all round, new discs on the front and, oh yes, new tyres on the back. Roughly two and a half hours work....let's see..........about £450 plus vat. As I came to I realised that I had little choice but to bite the bullet and pay. I am sure I'm not alone and that others will feel they are being financially savaged like me. How do you all cope? The only silver lining is that as my Tesco credit card begins to melt so the clubcard points are piling on. Best wishes, Butler

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I had a similar problem with a lock on the conservatory window.I was advised to seek out a local window manufacturer and puchase a new lock and key direct.This I did and the whole cost was a mere

G

Again part of the problem is that we are all being bombarded by 'Elf and bleeding Safety' legislation stating that 'you must never touch anything without getting a qualified?? person in'. That of course will cost you a call out fee and a minimum charge, even to just tell you that there is a problem.

A pump is not that difficult a job as there are isolating valves either side. then it is just a matter of isolating the power, undoing the nuts, catch the water drips and replace using some pipe sealant. You can probably get the new pump at B&Q or a plumbing dealer, cheaper than the cost from the fitter. Similarly a radiator can be replaced, as long as you can get the same size. Again, thinking about what you are doing and care in getting the water out, is the key. Flushing a system is a good idea, but as long as corrosion inhibitor was added at early stages, it can last for many many years. If the radiator you remove is full of gunge, then do it, if not, then you are being conned again.

I had the same disc problem a year or so back, and yes the cost was similar. However, as I could see the scores on the discs through the wheels, I was pre-warned. I could have done it muself as it is pretty easy, but I could not be a...d lying on the cold ground. However, I did replace the pads this time round. Took me 30 minutes.

Anyway, look on the bright side. These things always come in three's. So what is next????

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad I'm an engineer who can do most of these jobs myself. I'm thankful I didn't go into something less hands-on all those years ago - I must have saved myself a fortune over the years.

G

I'm with Normal, do it youself.

Changing disks and brake pads is very easy. My nieces husband just changed the discs and pads on her smart car along with the oil and filters.

He told the garage what was new and they serviced it for

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
You need to be on the ball with British Gas,I would book the annual service and they would cancel or just wouldnt turn up(The best being that he said no-one was in when i was in all day and he parked up the road for ten mins,new appointment 4 weeks later) and rearrange the appointment sometimes 2-3 months later.In the 6 years i used them i only had 5 services so they got a year of doing nothing for my money.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
What Mikey said is what we've experienced. You have to ring them about the annual service. If left to them they keep pinching a couple of months a year until you've missed out on one although you've paid. We make sure we ring them now and since have had no problems.

Regarding repairing the boiler it covers that as long as they can get the parts but if not it doesn't cover for a replacement boiler. At least on our policy it doesn't, maybe they do more expensive ones.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We've had the British Gas Homecare cover for just over 20 years and I hate to say we have used it nearly every year!

New boiler 12 years ago , new pumps , control and circuit boards , 3 way valves, ball cocks, air locks etc. Annual service and a free carbon monoxide alarm.

All in all I have had my monies worth but there again it's probably my fault the premiums keep going up.

Cheers

Dustydog

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Butler

Always pays to shop around if you have a chance of course.

2 years back got quotes for a new gas boiler, just a boiler I wanted, I didn't want the house re built or the car serviced, just a R..dy boiler

I priced up the correct sized boiler on the internet just to give myself a guide (800 all in) and allowed perhaps 1 days work and a few sundries.

1st quote from the Corgi bloke who did the house accross the rd.

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
I can honestly say we've never been let down with british gas we get the letter to say the service is due and I phone up for a time that is convient for me have used them every year since we had it they came yesterday to do the service and fix a fault only phoned up on wednesday to book it i'm never in on a thursday.I would never have thoght the insurance would cover a replacement boiler though I think thats a bit of a cheek.

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Wouldn't of thought a gas boiler would need a service every year,

Once every five years is ample.

An oil boiler is different, mind you we had an oil boiler in our last house and never had it serviced, we were there for over 10 years with no problems.

Its all to make you spend yer money.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all of your comments. I should have added that I do have Gascare and they fitted the pump for free. In general we have been well looked after by British Gas, having had two replacement hot water tanks fitted for free over the last 10 years. Mind you, it did take six weeks each time as the tanks were unavailable. Character building best describes those situations. No central heating, hot water from the cooker or kettle, and both occasions were in winter. We can't even laugh about it now! Best wishes, Butler

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts