Bitter Beer Prices

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We are away on Exmoor . My mates at home tell me our local St Austell pub has just increased the price of bitter from £4.40 to £4.95. 55p increase !
Here Exmoor Ales Brewery have increased their barrel cost by £5.00. The Landlord here has increased a pint price by 20p. I can live with 20p more but do you think 55p increase a pint is stealing🤔

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wadworths and Butcombe locally have gone up. Also 250ml of Malbec is near to or above £9. Yet we were in north Devon near Lynton recently and a large Malbec was £6.50.

The Wadworths drinks menu doesn’t show beer prices yet cocktails are priced. Generally I don’t see beer prices until the tab arrives.

Reactions: Dustydog
Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Haven't been in a pub for years, and looking at those prices i would not encourage them. On the rare occasions i have a drink 2 tinnies does me. By the look of things, pubs are a dying breed and most of them will become extinct.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Our Wetherspoons has good beer at good prices but the all over stickiness and some of the clientele put me off! We’ve got a couple of Tap Houses that sell excellent beer but at £6.50 a pint I don’t go in that often!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The pub nearest to us increased the price of their beer and lager way above other pubs in the area. We stopped going there and travel a bit further to the next pub.

When we lived in town many years ago we used to go to the pub on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday for a couple of pints as less than £20 a night. Now on Saturday afternoon we go to the pub, have one beer or cider, a coffee and go home as that is already over £10. We very seldom have a meal in a pub even when out and about.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We only use pubs for food now, having been dry for 6 years - we'll actively seek out Wetherspoons and other chain pubs when we go away as it saves cooking in the caravan.

Our Greene King local at home is quite used to us ordering two glasses of plain tap water with our meal - so we've no idea how much drinks cost these days.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We were in Shipston-on-Stour a few weeks ago for the weekend, we went into one of the pubs in town and ordered a pint of IPA and a large glass of sauvignon blanc. Just over £20..............
Makes you wonder if landlords want to become millionaires over night. :ROFLMAO: A few years ago we went into a pub and I had a diet Cola and the cost was £3.50 for 250ml! We then also realised why the pub was so empty and never went back there again.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We got friendly with a local landlord who unfortunately had to close.
Chatting to him one afternoon he explained that his energy costs had rocketed up to just over £5k a month 😦
Totally unsustainable!
In our area a lot of pubs are closed some days, or only offer food on specific days and then not necessarily all day as it might be evening meals only. Yet last Friday we went to the Barge at Seend near the CCC site and it was packed for lunch despite their menu having been trimmed back from what it used to be. Nice nevertheless, and so dog friendly water bowls, biscuits and even poo bags too. Clientele were mainly “ triple lock brigade “ doing their best to support the hospitality industry and save on heating bills 😱

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Pubs are failing everywhere and have a difficult balancing act on pricing. To survive they may need to raise prices but cannot go too far as that might mean people go elsewhere or drink less. For many just keeping going is the best they can do hoping things change.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
In our local pub premium lagers are still under a fiver a pint. I drink pints of diet coke at £3 a go. (diabetic) The place is usually busy and opens 7 days a week. The landlord makes a living and there is no prospect of closure in the near future. He has a good set of regulars so he does'nt take the mick.
Before he came about 4 years ago we had a series of get rich quick cowboys who were soon seen off.
In my time I have met quite a few of the "why should I be sociable when I can drink at home for tuppence a pint and stare at the wall" brigade which I think is a slippery slope.

There have always been rip off places and always will be but as said, other pubs are available

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
In our local pub premium lagers are still under a fiver a pint. I drink pints of diet coke at £3 a go. (diabetic) The place is usually busy and opens 7 days a week. The landlord makes a living and there is no prospect of closure in the near future. He has a good set of regulars so he does'nt take the mick.
Before he came about 4 years ago we had a series of get rich quick cowboys who were soon seen off.
In my time I have met quite a few of the "why should I be sociable when I can drink at home for tuppence a pint and stare at the wall" brigade which I think is a slippery slope.

There have always been rip off places and always will be but as said, other pubs are available
LOL i am a sociable chap, but am not prepared to pay pub prices for Wine, when i can buy a bottle for the price of a glass, we do go to our local maybe once every couple of months, but that is mainly for a meal, & i may have a couple of pints, walking of course, its top of the lane.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I enjoy a pint in my preferred local pub or our RBL club - sometimes have no option as my dog Charlie drags me in on the way back from a walk knowing treats and fuss are waiting for him! Currently quite fortunate as my preferred local sells Sea Fury (nice sharps real ale) for £3.50 a pint in the pub and Guiness at £3.80, so not bank breakers. Bass was added as a guest ale in the RBL (lovely and quite rarely seen on draft these days) at £3.60 - proved so popular its gonna be a permanent line! Other pubs in our little town are much dearer.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We used to have a nice local pub. Well used in the winter months by all us locals. Understandably though the owners/managers wanted to retire and they sold to someone who talked about supporting the community blah blah - then before the slops on the bar had dried - ran it as a yuppie/touristy pub/restaurant.

Regular groups like my Old Codgers who used to pop in for a beer, bowl of chips and put the world to rights were not encouraged - we couldn't get a table as that was for the diners to be served overpriced mediocre food. I know I tried it once. Owner hovered around us not asking how things were but reminding us that if we'd finished we could pay at the bar. All about bums on seats.

They've alienated their clientel that used to provide regular income during the off tourist season as now none of us go there. Its hardly ever open anyway and even if its supposed to be you can get there and find its not.

Tourists in the peak season are leaving some marvelous reviews on-line - Not!

The menu doesn't include VAT; there's a service charge of 10%; plus some mysterious charge for special items. Last I heard a G&T would cost £11.50.

We're all amazed that its still supposedly running.

This year our Community Hall is trialling a Pop Up Bar evening. Seems to be going well so far.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts