Black bits in hot water ????

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I have just been sterilising the water system in our caravan and when I ran the taps after leaving the water for an hour or so, a lot of small black soft 'bits' came out of the HOT water....(both taps) the cold taps were both fine.

Anybody any ideas as to what it might be and how I can get rid of it please

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
I would say you have a condition we often experience in new build homes, when the system is closed down and felt for a period of time you will get a build up of black spores an early stage of fungus.

The only other thing I can think of would be one of your rubber seals could be braking down releasing what you are seeing as black specks.

Do all the obvious checks throughout the van just in case.

Good luck

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We used to get black bits rather like the occasional tea leaf in our old Ranger - cold water too. Running the taps for a while reduced the problem but we never put Milton etc into the system in case it spoiled the tea. We just fished the bits out as we spotted them - they're unlikely to do you harm.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
I always flush the system untill its clear, we also use one of these brita water filter jug it then filters it again before it goes in the kettle.

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
We used to get black bits rather like the occasional tea leaf in our old Ranger - cold water too. Running the taps for a while reduced the problem but we never put Milton etc into the system in case it spoiled the tea. We just fished the bits out as we spotted them - they're unlikely to do you harm.
Hi everyone, hope all is going well. I was reading through this post because we are getting some black bits in our cold water. I have put it down to the filter because although we have had the caravan since June last year we never changed it. We will this year after the winter.

Anyway, one thing I was wondering about is I want to change the way the water is pumped into the caravan. We have an external pump on the end of a pipe that goes into the aquaroll and I think this is failing.

So would I be able to fit an inline pump inside the caravan before the regulator. I dont want to get into any expensive stuff because we hope to change the van early in the year.

Thanks for any advice.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
You must make sure that you get as much water is out of the system as you can when you drain down.Alot of people open the valves but dont open the taps.

Another thing to look for.

If you have an external pump ckeck the hose on this for black bit.

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Though Milton ( and other similiar products)are often recommended to sanitise the water systems in a van, I'm sure that I once read something that stated that, because of it's chemical make up, it was not good for stainless steel??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When using any chemical cleaner, always follow the manufacturers instructions for dilutions and soaking times

always flush through with clean water afterwards. (two aqua rolls worth)

Sep 22, 2006
Visit site
I think that the problem is caused by the clear water pipes that manufacturers like to use.

We tried Milton once but water tasted awful for weeks afterwards - somehow it must have got into the plastic.

Now we just flush the system thoroughly berfore going away & use a tea strainer to catch the bits when we put water into the filter that we use.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts