Blue lights

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Now we are into dark nights and mornings again, can someone explain to me why some vehicles have blue lights at the front? They are usually at dash height, but I have seem them behind the radiator grill. They don't seem to go on and off, but some seem to flicker - or perhaps it's an optical illusion.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jo,

I have also seen orange as well as blue - assumed it was a decoratve customising thing. Ive also noticed in me travels that they are common in the middle east and Asian countries and particularly during festivals and the like - sometimes with displays of flashing lights wired up to the brake lights as well.

Can you imagine if it catches on here at Christmas with drivers vying with each other to "light up" thier cars, or vans, like some do with houses!

I can't wait

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
I think that they were started by HGV drivers (not slagging HGV drivers here) as a form of decoration to there cabs, and along with all the chrome and other lights on them I suppose could look quite catching.

Seems the chavs have caught on to this idea and decorate the front of their corsa's with the same, generally replacing the windscreen washers with ones that have the Blue LED's on them.

Goodness knows why.

Having said that.........

If you notice the sidelights of Nissan X-trails, you will see the lens is a light blue colour. Stick a white LED bulb behind them and they make the colour come out with a distinctive blue colour as well as making the light bright enough to use in bad weather instead of dipped headlights.

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Any subdued light in the cab will help negate dazzle from other vehicles.

Of course what would help even more is if skateboard drivers dipped on dual carriageways when coming toward you.

I personally don't give a flying fig what colour lights a car has on the front provided the basic traffic laws are adhered to: No white light to the rear with the exception of reverse lights and no red lights up front.

Having said that, the Scottish police loved to pull English drivers at the coming festive time of year for showing a miniscule red light on their tiny cab mounted xmas trees. Just getting their own back for the hassle Sots drivers get down here I guess.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Blue lights on windscreen washers etc are illegal.

They are in fact sold for show cars i.e:- Max Power events etc.

Although that does'nt appear to stop people using then on road cars,all the car accessory shops sell them.

Likewise neon under car lights but what they do is fit an on/off switch and if they see police..a quick flick and they are off.

I agree that they can be confusing on a dark/foggy night.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I use what are known as day light bulbs in the head lights on my car. These give a blue tinge to the lights but highten the reflective effect of road signs. In snow and fog you don't get the annoying glare back so you can use main beam as normal.

Just to add a splash of my wife's favorite colour to the car I have purple side lights at the front which combined with headlights gives a purple tinge to the rim of the headlight. I rarely use just sidelights when on the move as I believe that if one need's to display lights on the move then dipped beam is the minimum. If I had a fiver for every time I saw a dipstick driving in rain and poor light conditions, I'd be a multi millionaire by now.

Now being on the wrong side of 40 I guess most people would expect me to be looking at Ford Mundaneo's and a pipe & slippers. But I quite like the idividuality of "custom cars/truck" and enjoy seeing the results of people's time and effort taken in transforming a boring vehicle into a pride and joy.

So long as all the road regulation lights work and the tasteful addons are not interfering with the road lights who gives a stuff!!

Twenty years ago you often saw a jag rear axle under a transit/bedford CF van and also some custom cars, fully chrome plated and illuminated by a red rear fog light mounted under the chassis. What a way to show off a piece of true british engineering.

Bring back us "old schoolies".

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I use what are known as day light bulbs in the head lights on my car. These give a blue tinge to the lights but highten the reflective effect of road signs. In snow and fog you don't get the annoying glare back so you can use main beam as normal.

Just to add a splash of my wife's favorite colour to the car I have purple side lights at the front which combined with headlights gives a purple tinge to the rim of the headlight. I rarely use just sidelights when on the move as I believe that if one need's to display lights on the move then dipped beam is the minimum. If I had a fiver for every time I saw a dipstick driving in rain and poor light conditions, I'd be a multi millionaire by now.

Now being on the wrong side of 40 I guess most people would expect me to be looking at Ford Mundaneo's and a pipe & slippers. But I quite like the idividuality of "custom cars/truck" and enjoy seeing the results of people's time and effort taken in transforming a boring vehicle into a pride and joy.

So long as all the road regulation lights work and the tasteful addons are not interfering with the road lights who gives a stuff!!

Twenty years ago you often saw a jag rear axle under a transit/bedford CF van and also some custom cars, fully chrome plated and illuminated by a red rear fog light mounted under the chassis. What a way to show off a piece of true british engineering.

I don't want to spoil your fun, Steve, but such additional lights or lights in a different colour are actually illegal.

All the necessary information can be found in http://www.vca.gov.uk/faq/type-approval.shtm#answer11

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is, as stated in a previous reply, illegal to have blue lights showing to the front, side, rear or underside of a vehicle as it can be confused with an emergency vehicle. These lights are generally used by boy racers who enjoy wearing their base ball caps back to front. It is also illegal to use the low fitting driving lights or rear fog lights in normal weather conditions. What has surprised me though is the number of vehicles seen on the road nowadays with a failed head and side light on the same side. This is ignorant and very confusing as the vehicle could be mistaken for a motor bike.

Apparantly it is also illegal to use an amber flashing beacon unless you have a licence for it. I have yet to receive clarification on this so I may be wrong.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
youre quite right lutz.its illegal to display any light other than white,yellow(foglamps),or orange(indicators)at the front of a vehicle.blue being the reserve of the emergency services.i think all weather bulbs are ok because their base colour is white.but theyre still confusing if you see them out the corner of your eye.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site

Steve,

Only using sidelights whilst moving is illegal - it's either dipped main beam or nothing.

Sidelights may be used when the car is parked.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jo

Just to add to what has been said, vehicle lighting regulations state that all permenant lights [not flashing as indicators]must show a white light to the front and red to the rear. any other coulor is illeagal this is in fact part of the road trffic act and is an indorsable offence, any one stopped for this offence will get a

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Steve,

Only using sidelights whilst moving is illegal - it's either dipped main beam or nothing.

Sidelights may be used when the car is parked.

Robert
Hi There.

Agreed, but all too often we all see pillocks driving on side lights in rain and snow, and wait for it!! If you do a quick overtake they are the first to flash you!!

I like to see individuality (customising) It breaks up the mundane boxy cars you see on the road today. All the trucks with their christmas decs and fancey paint jobs realy are showing that there are a few of us with a pride in what we drive.

TRENDING THREADS