BMW 430d xDrive Gran Coupe ?

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
Hi all, I'm currently looking to change my tow car (currently a Volvo XC60 D5) to a BMW 430d or 435d xDrive Gran Coupe. I have always had the typical 4x4 type tow car (Mitsubishi Outlander, Honda CRV and now the Volvo) but fancy a change to more of a 'car' type, hence the BMW. My van is an Elddis Crusader (1550kg) and was wondering if anyone has had experience of towing with the BMW's (either 330d/335d or 430d/435d) and what's it like to tow with? Any advise much appreciated.
Thanks.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
I haven’t towed with one Banzeta, but I did hire a 420D X-Drive M-Sport Gran Coupe whilst travelling around the French and Italian Alps recently.

Overall, the car was great, but one thing that really did stand out was how low it sat. My Passat GT Estate has the sports suspension option and so it’s a little lower than standard, but with the 420D X-Drive M-Sport, when it came to getting out, once I opened the door, I felt like I was almost lying down horizontally, only an inch above the ground - Or maybe I’m just getting old :p

Nice sporty stance if that’s what you’re looking for, but not sure how this would translate as a tow car, especially when considering hitch/towball height ? - Or perhaps it’s only the M-Sport version that’s so low ?

Hope this helps,

Ic.

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
I tow with the new 530d Touring and it is superb.
Lots of power, very stable and very comfy.

Economy wise it doesn’t seem to make much difference soloor towing, it’s very good either way.

Kev

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I've got its closest brother, an X4 30d, which gets over Icaru5's criticism of sitting low. I can't fault it, also as towcar for my 1800kg caravan, having already done over 30,000 miles in the past 2 years since I bought it new, including taking the caravan down to Italy 3 times in that time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts