BMW 530d amazing towcar but advice needed

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Ive never towed with anything so powerful this is a quite incredible towcar. I get up to 55mpg solo and 30mpg towing I have not succumb to the 4x4 yet as good fuel economy is important to me.

I have fitted spring assistors which seem to have helped at the back but I would like to fit heavy duty shocks and springs can anyone recommend a low cost way of doing this without spending a grand plus on Koni's Bilsteins etc

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If you are experiencing such a big problem that you need the rear suspension beefed up with so many measures then one would suspect that you are towing with a noseweight that is well over the limit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lutz probably has a point, some of the big German saloons (and others too) have relatively low maximum towball weights - 75kg is typical. Plus they have quite long overhangs relative to some 4x4s. Check the tyre pressures shown for fully loaded - these often requir the rears to be anything up to 50% higher in the fully loaded than lightly loaded configuration and the fronts up perhaps a few pounds. Remember that 75 to 80 kg on the ball is equivalent to a fairly hefty passenger sitting in the rear seat, plus all the load you undoubtedly have in the boot.

If you are lucky enough to have rear seats which fold, then try to get the really heavy stuff above or forward of the rear axle.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mark, is yours an SE or a Sport? The reason I ask is I tow with a 530d Sport and have not had any issues but the suspension is beefier on the Sport model than on the SE. Having said that I believe the nose weight limit is 90KG for all models with the 530d having a maximum tow limit of 2000kg.

If you think the shocks are tired then I would replace them with original ones. However IMO (and it is only my opinion!) the rear geometry on these cars is too complex to mess about with aftermarket shocks and all said and done you really shouldn't need them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts