BMW Towbar electrics - No fridge pins

Jul 14, 2019
Visit site
Having recently bought a 2015 BMW X3 with factory fit electric swivel towbar, I have found that I have fallen foul of the BMW lack of wiring for the fridge. So my socket has no female wiring to pins 10 and 11, nor even female metal sleeves for those pins. I have reviewed loads of threads on here about this, mostly they are quite old. But nowhere have I found any info about what, if any, metal sleeve is available to insert in the plastic socket casing. That would enable me to wire in a fridge/split relay direct from the car battery that is in the boot (by-passing all the compications of BMWs other socket wiring). I think I may have found a female connector that could work.
But before trying that I am asking if anyone has any recent experience of fixing this problem (probably on other BMWs also) either DIY or using an expert fitter?

Attachments

• X5 Tow socket 1.jpg
    X5 Tow socket 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • X5 Tow socket 2.jpg
    X5 Tow socket 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I had the same on a 2016 BMW520D, back then BMW could supply a replacement socket and loom but the cost was eye watering, I’m lead to believe it is no longer available. I didn’t bother in the end as only had the car for 3 years. I did ask an independent fitter but (from memory) the existing BMW loom was factory fitted into the socket meaning replacing the socket onto the existing BMW harness and adding additional fridge wiring wasn’t straightforward.

This was a few years ago so try talking to someone like PF Jones who produce vehicle specific looms for tow bars.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
It is up to you but worth considering if it is worth the stress and expense of resolving it. The fridge will only stay cool whilst connected; it won’t cool below ambient unless you have already pre-cooled it. Our van is in storage no chance of that. We just take “fridge stuff” in an insulated bag with a couple of those freeze blocks chucked in. Turn the fridge on once we arrive on site. It works.
Mel

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It is up to you but worth considering if it is worth the stress and expense of resolving it. The fridge will only stay cool whilst connected; it won’t cool below ambient unless you have already pre-cooled it. Our van is in storage no chance of that. We just take “fridge stuff” in an insulated bag with a couple of those freeze blocks chucked in. Turn the fridge on once we arrive on site. It works.
Mel
The other option is of course ice blocks in the fridge. Probably a lot cheaper than having BMW rewire the car. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
... The fridge will only stay cool whilst connected; it won’t cool below ambient unless you have already pre-cooled it. ...
This is a myth. The fridge will cool down on 12V power, the energy deployed by the 12V element is fairly close to that of the 230V element , and as such the cooling effect can be similar. However its the fact that the caravan is usually being towed when its in 12V power, and its the uncertain air flow through the fridges condenser circuit that can in some circumstances reduce the cooling effect. For this reason its best not to rely on attempting to cool the fridge whilst towing, but in many cases the 12V will reduce the temperature of the fridge.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....if the fridge circuit isn't wired on the OP'S BMW then neither is the caravan's battery charging circuit.
The habitation relay on the caravan will also not work causing some 12 volt safety systems to be inoperative when towing.

Reactions: Dustydog

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
This is a myth. The fridge will cool down on 12V power, the energy deployed by the 12V element is fairly close to that of the 230V element , and as such the cooling effect can be similar. However its the fact that the caravan is usually being towed when its in 12V power, and its the uncertain air flow through the fridges condenser circuit that can in some circumstances reduce the cooling effect. For this reason its best not to rely on attempting to cool the fridge whilst towing, but in many cases the 12V will reduce the temperature of the fridge.
Thank you Prof; I hadn’t realised this. I will stop propagating it. Just for my clarification; are you saying that whilst the towing electrics are theoretically capable of cooling the fridge below ambient from scratch; in practice they are unlikely to effect much more change than maintaining a pre cooled temperature? Suppose it depends on a number of factors?
Mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you Prof; I hadn’t realised this. I will stop propagating it. Just for my clarification; are you saying that whilst the towing electrics are theoretically capable of cooling the fridge below ambient from scratch; in practice they are unlikely to effect much more change than maintaining a pre cooled temperature? Suppose it depends on a number of factors?
Mel
There are two factors that make the biggest difference, the first is the degree of air movement through the caravans fridge grills when towing. Arguably if you put the covers on the grills it may help except in really hot weather. But physical shape of each outfit will affect the degree of air movement through the fridge grills - aerodynamics.

The second factor which is more likely to be an issue now than previously is the use of smart alternators in cars which can restrict the availability of12V delivered to the caravan whilst towing.

I have to say that over the years I caravanned, I never had a problem with the fridge cooling whilst towing, but even then we always precooled or used ice blocks, and we always found the ice box was producing frost.

I suggest each caravanner tries it for themselves, - put a thermometer in the fridge, and do a journey and see if or how much cooler the fridge is after the journey.

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
I have a BMW factory fit towbar on a late 2019 X3. I do have the required pins. However, my fridge does not work as it seems that it is not getting enough power. I assume this is loss over the wires in the van as at the towbar it is sufficient. This seems to be fairly common with the tall Thetford fridges.

Apr 10, 2019
Visit site
I've a tall dometic in my Bailey Alicanto Grande Faro towed by a 2013 Vw touareg and same issue. Apparently when I questioned the 12v not working properly when towing due to the fridge warning lights flashing red after about ten miles, my dealer says it still chills via 12v albeit at a lower rate. We chill the fridge freezer down on maximum on gas the day beforehand and never had an issue with the contents defrosting or even getting anywhere near warm in regular seven or eight hours trips to Cornwall.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts