BMW transmission cooler

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
OK, you may be right with the heatshield if it's that far away from the towbar although other components may be nearer and they may suffer as the exhaust system is bound to get hotter when towing due to the extra power that the engine is called upon to deliver. However, I doubt whether that alone would be an issue which could affect the warranty unless there is something really vulnerable to heat in the vicinity.

On the other hand, I'd treat the issue regarding the cooling fan seriously. I wouldn't take a verbal statement from anyone, master technician or even the workshop manager, as authoritative if two people have independently said that they have received information to the contrary from their dealers. There's too much at stake to make do without written confirmation.
Sounds as though the heatshield is required for a different engine variant to the one in question. Some models have a dual exhaust system and the heatshield may be required for those only.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
From all i have read above it appears to me that all BMW are saying is increased cooling/air flow is required for the expected work load while towing, more of a issue in warmer climates i would of thought.

If that's the case why not simply fit a extra cooling fan?

I'm not familiar with the BMW cooling fan, i assume its the viscous coupling type as fitted to the Audi i had? If so simply fit a switch to operate the extra fan while towing.

Or if the fan cuts in on coolant/engine temperature, slave the extra fan of that via a relay.

What i think is more of an issue with aftermarket tow bars now is the wiring interface to the 13 pin socket.

Again assuming the BMW has the Can Bus system, if the BMW specific loom is not used, and the ECU is damaged then a couple of thousand pounds will be needed minimum to replace it, out of YOUR pocket.

Unfortunately if you buy into the prestige market, the extras are always at inflated prices, along with the labour charges.

I always pay more attention to the water temperature while towing, any car while towing will be working harder.

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Richard I had an eairlier 520 which I towed with and found I had overheating problems (cooliing system) and had to swith on the heater but the gearbox was OK. I have also towed with a 97 535i and towed for 4 years with at least three or four trips to the south of France so some pretty tough towing hilly condidions nearing the foot hills of the Alps. The gearbox (trip auto)failed last year. The transmission people didn't seem to attach to much to blame on towing as a possible cause but I can't be certain.

I couldn't find anything in the hand book about auxillary transmission/ bigger transmission coolers but I will try to find out more. Good luck

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
If the said vehicle is utilising a full electric fan,i would presume the fan control would come out of the engine ECU,likewise if it had a viscous coupled fan,but the chances are with the latter fitted it will have an electromagnetic control fitted.With no disrespect i fail to see how a "master" technition can possibly disagree with BMW research and development and there findings.Theres an old saying,"pay half,pay twice"

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It's not a question of who disagrees with whom, but who is going to foot the bill in case something happens. Whoever this is, is only going to cough up if he has committed himself in writing. Otherwise, it's word against word.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
BMW uk have given their recommendations and its up to you what to do,after x amount of years nothing goes wrong you've saved your money only you can decide if you want to take the risk?

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
To be fair to BMW they quote a towing limit of 2000kg for the 530d that I tow with (mines a manual by the way ;O) so no problems with cooling) and that's one hell of a heafty van. They must make the assumption that if you tow anything at all you are going to tow at that limit. They cant put themselves in a position of saying "well, 1500kg and you will no doubt be OK, 1200kg it wont even break into a sweat, etc etc etc", they have a give a figure for the worst case scenario which is the 2000kg quoted. I would think that yes, additional cooling would be needed to pull this weight for an auto box. If your van like mine is about 1500kg then as most of the technical bods have said its fine. BMW though have to cover themselves and their "reputation" and must draw the line somewhere and for my vehicle the line is at 2000kg and bare in mind there are not many other 4 door saloons that are legally rated to this impressive limit. The 85% recommendation (which is actually not far off the 1500kg of our van) bares no relevance here. Its a case of you get what you pay for whether you want to pull two tonnes or not!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Fair comment, Jeff&Di, but BMW, just like any other car manufacturer for that matter, also have the right to state that the towload limits that they quote require certain modifications to be carried out before these can be used to the full. Although they may specify 2000kg, they can also say that a heavy duty fan, for example, must then be fitted.

G

I think part of the issue here is the 2 litre engine 1st mentioned.

This engine is likely to work far harder than say a 3 litre and the auto box be snicking from gear to gear when towing, driving the transmission fluid heat up.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It reminds me a bit of the old Vectra 3.0 litre diesel, which, on paper at least sounded a great towcar, but in its automatic guise could only pull 1200kg, although its manual stablemate a respectable 1800kg. (Later versions of the automatic were able to tow 1500kg, but they never reached the figure quoted for the manual).

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
On 03/02, Richard wrote "If I do not have the fan fitted and the engine overheats the warrenty will not cover it if the car has been towing a caravan."

What if you towed a trailer (box, horse, flat bed...) also weighing 1400 kg as opposed to a caravan? Would the warranty also be void?

By the way, I have just ordered a BMW 520d with manual box, but with a factory fit towbar (option 3AC, fully electric).

The max trailer load (braked)is 1800 kg at both 8% and 12% gradient. The dealer did not mention anything about extra cooling being required.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
They wont as it is a factory fitted towbar so all upgrades will be done.

I see they have brought forward the X5 facelift to June this year not next year as my local dealer had informed me.

Hes not a happy bunny as they has 3 build slot in the next 3 months for car and BMW has cancelled them,new one price has rose by 2k and no discounts so he says? a bit different from the 17% they had been offering!

Feb 10, 2007
Visit site
Some of the comments have put me off BMW forever. What I dont understand is why such a large vehicle needs an oil cooler for towing ? Does it have an inherantly weak gear box ? Or is it another get get your money scam .I have been towing horse boxes trailers and caravans for over 30 years and never had an oil cooler on any of the vehicles used non of them had any problems.Why do BMW nead them ?.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It would be an unfair generalisation to say that all BMW's require technical modifications before they may tow. I believe that only specific models, and in some cases only certain engine variants, are affected. One would be well advised to check first before towing, regardless of make of car, especially when towing close to the technical limit.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
It wouldne put me off a BMW,The Mercedes ML model up to 2002 recommended the fitting of an extra oil cooler for the auto transmission im sure not too many were fitted?

May 2, 2005
Visit site
I tow with a 2001 BMW 525i Sport (E39 model)Auto with 105k mileage and my van is 1500kgs all up......probably about 10 - 15k towing

Never had any problems with the auto box over-heating while towing.

Perhaps consider gong to www.bmwland.co.uk and after you join (free), ask the question......best forum would be the 5 Series as the Tech one is a lot quieter.....

Over 48,000 members (inc dealers), so you should get a answer

Just a thought

May 2, 2005
Visit site
I tow with a 2001 BMW 525i Sport (E39 model)Auto with 105k mileage and my van is 1500kgs all up......probably about 10 - 15k towing

Never had any problems with the auto box over-heating while towing.

Perhaps consider gong to www.bmwland.co.uk and after you join (free), ask the question......best forum would be the 5 Series as the Tech one is a lot quieter.....

Over 48,000 members (inc dealers), so you should get a answer

Just a thought
http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/portal.php

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts