BMW X5

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Anybody out there know how to adjust the headlights for Continental driving on a 2005 X5 ?. Before our hols to France the main dealer said that there is a switch on the headlamp that you move and that the details are in the manual.

However after much searching around the head lights and checking the manual I have drawn a blank.

The dealer said he would do it but wants around £15.00 for flicking a switch.

Many thanks

Nidge

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Nidge......Your post made me wonder? I have always used beam benders and never even thought the headlights could be easily adjusted for continental driving.

I have checked my handbook and there is no mention of switching headlight directions. Also looked under the bonnet and can't see an easy way of doing it either. My X5 is a 3.0d.

Surely, if it is possible to do, it must be easy enough for any driver to accomplish because every single trip abroad would require the same adjustment, as it would on the return trip and to stay within the law it would need to be easy enough to be done on the dockside?

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Nidge....I spoke to a friend and he said it could be done. He told me where to look in the Owners Handbook. However, it is only available for cars that have the optional xenon headlights fitted.

Page 153 of Owners Handbook, Headed - Rule of the Road.

When entering another country involves driving on the other side of the road.

Cars without xenon headlights:

BMW service can supply masking Tape to avoid dazzling other drivers.

Cars with xenon headlights:

1. Remove the plugs above the headlights.

2. For driving on the left - slide lever towards centre of the car. For driving on the right - slide the lever towards the outside of the car.

If you hav'nt got xenon lights then the ordinary beam benders from any motor accessory store (

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
BeemerMal is correct - the lever applies to Xenon headlights. I have a 2001 530d with Xenon lights and the instructions (page 200 for the 5 series) are as BM says. Unfortunately, according to the main dealer who services my car (Sytner), they have it the wrong way round! It should read "for driving on the right slide lever to centre of car; for driving on the left slide lever towards outside of car". I got my dealer to check this by shining the lights against a wall and it's passed 3 MOT's set up like this, so it looks like he is right. Now I am confused and intend to take it up with BMW UK Customer Support. I will let you know what they say.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all replies however I am really confused now.The X5 is a 2005 3.Od Sport.It went in for a brake fluid change and my better half asked the question about do we need beam benders and the reply was no, as the headlamps could be altered for continental driving the mechanic said I will do them for you while doing the fluid change.

When we paid the bill there was a charge of

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Nidge....My X5 is a 2003 3.0d Sport and Xenon headlights were not standard as fit on this model when I placed my order, however, they could be ordered as an optional extra. I chose not to pay

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you have Xenon headlights, there will see a circular, black plastic cap, 4.5 cm in diameter, above each one when you open the bonnet. They are inscribed "For adjustment see owners manual". Underneath each one you will find a flimsy shiny metal lever which needs to be pushed horizontally in the appropriate direction. There lies the problem - see my earlier posting - do you push towards to outside oor centre of vehicle? I am still waiting for BMW to confirm who is correct, i.e. is it the handbook, or their main dealer who says the handbook is wrong? As soon as I have an answer I will let you all know! I assume the "normal" headlamps either don't have the plastic cap or, if they do, there is no lever beneath.

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Willy.Nidge....I have checked the headlights on my X5, which are the standard lights, and there is not a cap or any way of quickly adjusting them. I think they are a totally different set of units to the Xenon lights.

It clearly says in the manual the user adjustment is for Xenon lights only. As I understand it the only issue seems to be the conflict of opinion on whether the manual is correct or the dealer is correct in which way to push the lever?

Surely this would be easy to check. Just park up in front of a garage door, put dipped beam on and chalk line the beam direction on the door. It should focus the beam to the left. Then move both levers and carryout the same check again. This time the dipped beam should focus to the right.

Job done...or is that too simplistic?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
BeemerMal, please read my 31 August posting again and you will see that the dealer did exactly as you suggest, i.e. shine the lights on the wall. I am 90% sure that the headlight setting defined by this test correctly defined the appropriate positions for the levers, i.e. the opposite from what the handbbok says. This is endorsed by 3 subsequent MOT passes. What I was trying to warn owners of Beemers with Xenon lights (not "normal" lights) is that the handbook may well be wrong (at least from 2001 to 2004). In fact the handbook MUST be wrong if the dealer is right. Hence, there is a real safety issue here with owners who believe the handbook and drive with there lights set incorrectly for the UK and Continent. Watch this space for BMW UK's response for my request for clarification. This does not affect owners with normal (non-Zenon) lights. I hope this clarifies what I was trying to explain.

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Willy....yes, sorry you did mention it above. I had no need to repeat it (a senior moment I think!) I agree, and the garage wall test would be an easy test for Nidge to do do to find out if the X5 manual has the same issue as the 530 manual.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Willy, Mal.

Thanks for your suggestions.I tried to phone the main dealer but after been put on hold for 10 minutes I could not take anymore playing of Greensleeves!!! and put the phone down. I have had a look at the headlights again and on the smaller of the twin headlights (the smaller one has a bullseye type lens and the larger one has what looks like a halogen bulb)has a plastic cap about 90mm dia with open/close on it,on removal there is a plastic lever about 50mm long this lever however moves only vertically and seems to have three positions.I did try the garage door test but this proved inconclusive because when on high beam both twin head light were on and when switching to low beam the larger head light went out so not showing a dip left or right. There is no mention about adjusting the head lights in the hand book even for Xenon lights,only how to lower the lights for weight compensation.

Hope this makes sense or is it me been thick? I am a builder though !!.

Looks like the main dealer is as Mal says" been a bit naughty

with his explanation". However looks though a trip to him for the alteration seems inevitable. I shall make sure I watch it been done for future alterations.

I will keep you posted

Thanks

Nidge

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nidge - from what you say the larger light must be the main (full/high) beam and the smaller one the dipped (low) beam. When the lights are dipped, the main beam will be extinguished. (On single light systems, there used to be a twin filament bulb - one for main and one for dipped beam. With twin lights there is no need for this with the advantage that both lights can be on when on main beam providing better illumination). Since the lever on the samller light moves vertically, this implies that it is intended for dipped beam height adjustment, NOT the beam angle. This would be used to set the dipped beam height depending on the load in the car. On some cars (e.g. Citroen, Peugeot) this control is often located inside the car for convenience. On others it is automatic.

I have to emphasise that I am no expert on this but I think what I have said makes sense. BeemerMal - can you confirm this?

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Willy....I understand what you say and agree it is a logical assumption. I would think any lever for angle adjustment must be moved from side to side and not up and down.

My (standard) headlights seem to be totally different and any height adjustment (for load) is made from the dashboard.

On the actual light units there are two Allen Key adjustment screws on each headlight and these are attached to a cog mechanism. I think these are for initial set up only.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Willy=Mal

Fully understand what you are both saying,The lever inside the headlamp does in fact move the beam up and down only.However there is also a adjustment knob on the dash board for headlamp height adjustment as beemerMal has stated.

Just waiting now for time to get to the main dealer to get it sorted.

Best regards

Nidge

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have had a reply from BMW UK requesting the VIN number and registration number of my car. Hopefully this will help them to make a definitive statement re. "inwards" or "outwards" for Xenon lights. I will keep you posted.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, after all that, BMW UK have responded by sending me a copy of the page of the handbook stating which way the levers should be for UK and European driving! Thanks, BMW! They clearly didn't read my observation that the handbook appeared to be wrong, as endorsed by their own main dealer. I have asked them to re-read my e-mail and look into this issue properly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Willy,

Sorry BMW are giving you the runaround,bit like when our factory fitted tow bar 13 pin socket would not power up the fridge.The main dealer asked them for guidance and they sent him a wiring diagram that showed no return earth feed was required, so he took this as gospel until I showed him the CC diagram which confirmed it was.

Getting back to my problem with the headlamps.I now have a problem with the wing mirrors (self inflicted) so the car is booked in for the 17th at the main dealers so will be giving him a grilling over the adjustment of the headlamps.

Will keep you posted.

Nidge

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have received the following from BMW UK. This is regarding the incorrect information in the handbook on setting the Xenon headlights for continental driving. See also my earlier posting on this topic. It applies to my 2001 530d. Anyone in any doubt about their Xenon lights should consider contacting BMW for clarification. I will repeat all this under the Technical heading.

"Thank you for your further email.

We would ask you to accept our apologies for the information offered you which it turns out is incorrect.

We confirm that you are correct and that the handbook is wrong. Sytner in Leicester and the MOT Testing Station you use are also correct.

For this mistake, we can only offer you our apologies but would just like to add that it is rare for a mistake like this to occur.

We understand that you have had full confirmation of the correct information to resolve this issue in the meantime but if you would like any further assistance at any time in the future, please do contact a member of the BMW Customer Information Team.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK

Elfriede McNeal

Product Information Advisor

Ellesfield Avenue

Bracknell

RG12 8TA

Tel: 0800 325600

Fax: 0870 5050 206

Email: customer.information@bmw.co.uk

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,Willy/Mal.

Have been to the main dealers today and as per my posting regarding the 90mm black plastic cap and lever this is in-fact the lever for dipping the headlights for continental driving.

My headlights are the standard one's (not xenon)and the technician assures me that the lever, although only moving vertically changes the beam angle.The whole job took all of 3 minutes. Incidentally there was no charge!.

However I think I will still contact BMW customer services for clarification.

Many thanks for all your input regarding my problem.

Nidge

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Nidge......This story gets stranger and stranger. My standard headlights (2003 X5 Diesel Sport) seem to be totally different. Height adjustment, for load only, is made from the dashboard. This only moves the headlights vertically and it has no effect on horizontal movement that dips the beam from L to R.

For the horizontal beam alignement there are two Allen Key adjustment screws on each headlight and these are each attached to a cog mechanism, which I am told is primarily for the set up of beam angle and they could be used for changing beam angles to suit driving on the right. However, my dealer said it was not a task that he thought could be done with any degree of alignment accuracy on the side of the road or on the dockside.

Perhaps BMW changed the type of lights in the later models?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nidge, excuse me for appearing sceptical, but I think you are being misled by the technician. I think all he is doing is dipping the lights further, not adjusting the angle. It has taken me 6 years to get a straight answer out of BMW on this subject, so good luck!

May 12, 2011
Visit site
If its any consolation Citroen are just as bad if not worse. I have a new model C5 and spent June in France this year. Neither my local garage or Citroen UK could tell me how to adjust the lights which are not only Xenon but also directional, i.e. follow the steering. There doesn't appear to be any levers anywhere, and no mention in the handbook so I just had to hope they were set flat enough not to dazzle. Perhaps they are set to point straight ahead, citroen UK thought they might be but weren't sure. Fortunately I didn't do any night driving but they did come on automatically in rain etc. Just as well the trick suspension keeps the car level when towing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Willy / Mal.

Well impressed with BMW customer services UK! Sent them a e-mail first thing am and got a reply back at 11.02 am. E-mail contained a diagram showing the rear of the headlamp,lever marked 1 and the following instruction.

When entering countries where the traffic drives on the opposite side of the road to the country in which your car is registered, the following measures are necessary to avoid dazzling the drivers of oncoming vehicles.

1.Remove the ignition key

2.Swing the cover cap on the back of both headlights to the left and remove.

halogen headlights

Left-hand headlight: pull lever 1 up

Right-hand headlight: press lever 1 down

The cover cap on vehicles with xenon headlights is slightly smaller:⇦br/>

Looks as though my main dealer was correct after all (and so they should be for the money they charge). Ye have little faith Willy!!

Willy, I wonder if the xenon headlights have now been changed as the mention of the smaller cover cap in the instructions? or as I

suspect that this diagram and instruction are taken out of a manual and there was further information for changing the xenon headlights further on.

John, I can certainly sympathize with you on your frustration regarding what you would think would be a relatively simple question to answer.

Keeping plugging away at Citroen UK or try a Citroen owners Forum to see if you can get a answer.

Best of luck.

Many thanks again for all your input.

Nidge

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Now I am totally confused.....I wrote to BMW for confirmation and they sent me the following email. On the face of it the message is clear, however, my non face lift X5, registered in March 2003 does not match the diagram of the lights that they sent with the email. Think I will just continue to use beam benders! NB: cannot copy the diagram across because it is in Adobe reader format.

BMW email.....

Thank you for your email to BMW Customer Information.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in replying to you but we would advise you as follows:

The early RHD E53 X5s had the ability to amend both the Halogen and Xenon headlights as per the screen print attached of an early handbook.

We believe that the change came in that you were unable to amend the Halogen lights on RHD cars from the Facelift which took place from October 2003.

This would lead us to believe that you have a pre-Facelift X5 but that you may be looking at a Facelift manual and that this may be causing the confusion.

We trust this information is of help to you but if we we can assist you further at any time, please do contact a member of the BMW Customer Information Team.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mal,

BMW customer services on the face of it do seem to give out conflicting info. However the e-mail I received did show the correct diagram for my model and the levers do exist within the headlamps. I think you are probally right to keep using the beam benders(far less hassle).

Our X5 goes in again on Monday for a self-inflicted problem with the wing mirrors.Seemed only a minor problem to me however the main dealer Say's they are going to fit a pair of new mirrors,only

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts