Boating holidays in Norfolk

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
My wife and I (in our 70s but active) have for years fancied a short holiday - perhaps one week initially - in a houseboat on the Broads, but have never known where to start - what to avoid - what to look for, etc. etc. There would be just the two of us and we would want to sleep/eat on the boat, leaving our caravan on a site nearby, perhaps. As anyone done this sort of a holiday. If so, a few pointers would be very much appreciated.

Les C.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Leslie

We had a boating holiday on the Broads many years ago and also caravanned there two years ago. Hoseasons hire boats on the Broads and I would start by looking at their brochure or website. The Broads consist of a series of rivers, some wider than others and some busier than others. You can reach most parts in one week. There are many pubs along the way with moorings for meals and some have shops.

The boats vary on size but for two I would go for a four berth, giving you a bit more room. Upon arrival at the boat yard you are given a talk and somebody may come with you for the first half-hour or so and then get off the boat. There is nothing really to worry about as you have maps which show any rivers not navigable. Wroxham is very pretty and worth going to. Just remember that some of the rivers are tidal and keep an eye that the canopy on your boat is down if the rivers are running high. I would say go ahead give it a try. An alternative would be to caravan somewhere near and hire a day boat to see what you think. By the way, the fish and chips on the Broads are super!!

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Chrissylizzie for the information. I was mainly wondering if there was any organisation that was best avoided because of cost/quality/reliability etc.

It looks like one of those 'pin a tail on a donkey' situations.

Regards

Les C.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
I don't think you would go far wrong with Hoseasons. They are a well known Company who have dealt with the Broads for decades. They also hire log cabins so I personally would put my trust in them.

G

If like me you are tall make sure you get a boat that you can get around in it OK and fit in the beds.

Nightmare holiday!

Feb 20, 2006
Visit site
hi

we went with hoseasons last year, if you can get a boat with a fixed bed and a sliding roof. this saves you the bother of making the bed up morn/night,the sliding roof gives you more head room if you are tall like me 6.4.

this was the 5 time we have been if the weather is good nothing better than cruising along at 5 mph

a good way to see norfolk

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I did a boat holiday in my youth on the broads. Very peaceful and relaxing even at 5mph.

My fondest memory was watching The Omen on a black and white telly whilst the mist rolled in and the boat bobbed about. Made the film a whole heap scarier I can say!!! (I was only 9 though)

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I can thoroughly recommend boating on the Broads, have been around a dozen times and intend to go again once the kids are old enough to be safe.

Blakes, Hoseasons and New Horizons were the main firms when I last went although NH may have been swallowed up by Hoseasons since, they are all pretty much the same offering a range to suit all budgets with Blakes perhaps to the upper end.

Watch out for very strong currents when mooring at places like Great Yarmouth, at most moorings just relax and take your time.

Steering is very relaxed, feed in a small movement and wait for it to move the boat, if you don't you will be wagging your tail like a labrador.

2 weeks is needed if you want to explore all of the broads, if you are only going for 1 week the northern part is enough although you might be able to squeeze in Lowestoft as well at a push.

For 1 week I would hire on the section (N or S) of broads that you intend to spend most of the break on otherwise you will be planning your holiday around tide tables.

I can not see why you would want to take the caravan as well unless you see it as part of a longer break.

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
Last year I stayed at the Reedham Ferry Inn caravan site on the Broads. This is a nice small site (around 20 pitches I think,) with a shower block, electric hook ups and washing machine. It has its own slipway which can be used free of charge by anyone staying on the site. Since I do not live too far away, I was able to make additional journeys and take my boat as well; very enjoyable and I might repeat it this year.

There is also a site at the Waveney River Centre (some sloping pitches I believe,) which has most facilities, including a swimming pool. This is mid-way between Oulton Broad and Beccles, and boats can be hired daily, and probably for longer periods.

These are both on the Southern Broads, but give decent scope for some pleasant days out and some fishing.

Enjoy your holidays

Trevor M

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Trevor

Is the guy still doing the wood carvings next door to the Reedham Ferry Inn, we bought our house sign there.

This thread has got me thinking - I could mount our mirror dinghy on the roof of our car, stay at a riverside site and do a bit of sailing - perfection!

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
Trevor

Is the guy still doing the wood carvings next door to the Reedham Ferry Inn, we bought our house sign there.

This thread has got me thinking - I could mount our mirror dinghy on the roof of our car, stay at a riverside site and do a bit of sailing - perfection!
Hi Jeremy, I do not recall seeing any wood carving near the Reedham Ferry; however I may not have looked in the right place.

Being able to put your dinghy on the roof is a bonus; unfortunately my boat is too large for that at 17 feet, and weighing around 600Kg.

Enjoy your holidays,

Trevor M

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Thank you everyone for some very useful input (it's gud on here, init). Being retired, most of our caravanning is done in large lumps, Jeremy, and it's a good area of the country to do as bit of meandering.

Thanks everyone.

Les C.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Leslie I have hired cruisers about 16 times over the years on the Broads. We have also done the South of France canals.

Have you thought about using your caravan as you say, and hiring a day cruiser which can be hired for a week. The only problem with this though is getting a site alongside the river where you can moor the boat.

Some years ago, one autumn, we hired a house boat at Wroxham, either through Blakes or Hoseasons. These are oblong shaped floating homes, permanently moored in Wroxham Broad. We hired a launch for the week and moored it alongside the houseboat. The downside is you can only cruise shorter distances but it is still enjoyable.

If it is the first time you have been stick to the Broads north of Yarmouth, you won't have the worry of tide tables and crossing Breydon Water then. The southern rivers are more tidal also causing faster currents especially around Reedham.

Whichever you decide, hiring a cruiser doesn't come cheap :O(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts