BP Gas Light - NEC Show Offer & Which sized bottle?

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi

2 Questions -

1. Did anyone else visit the BP stand at the NEC and learn that there was to be an offer on Gas Light bottles - coupon in 'next' months Practical Caravan mag?

Just dashed out and bought the mag but no coupon or even mention of the offer to be found. Did I dream it? (that one's rhetorical, not no. 2!)

2. Pick up our first caravan next month and can't decide which size bottles to get - 2 x 5kg or 1 x 5 and 1 x 10kg. I know it can't be an exact science but can anyone advise on how long we might get from each type?

I want to get 2 bottles so there's always a back-up - so in UK with replacements available two 5kg's would be fine but we plan to tour the continent too (France - Germany - Switzerland) so do I need to consider making one of the bottles a 10kg?

It will normally be for 2 adults and 3 kids in a 6 berth van, for up to three weeks, not planning winter at this time (Although I am THINKING of caravan ski holidays but daren't mention that to HER yet!)

Thank in advance...

Martin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martin I have the BP gas lite bottles, I use 2 X 5g this is because my van a Coachman Amara wouldnt take the larger bottles through the front locker, even with the smaller size I have had to remove the plastic flooring that the bottles sit in because the BP lites are bigger in diameter

Rick

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Rick

I'm hoping our van will accept all bottle sizes - it's a new Bailey and I'm told by the dealer that all the current bottle types will fit.

How long does a 5kg last you?

Martin

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
We have a Pageant S7 and currently have two large BP light cylinders in the front locker.

The first one (placed to the side) went in no problem, but I had a real job geting the 2nd one in owing to the support for the gas strut. It is nearly empty and when it is, I will replace with a 5kg one. I have to get the 2nd cylinder out frequently on hols as I use it for a BBQ.

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I have the Bailey S6 Pageant Bordeaux and have BP Gas Light bottles. I started off with 2x5kg but have just changed for 2x10kg as I am going abroad in June for three months.

You can exchange between 5kg & 10kg bottles without a problem because the "deposit" on both is the same. I buy my refills at Homebase. I went for the BP option because they are also available in Poland, Austria, Portugal - others supposed to be coming along but a bit slow. See BP website http://lpgas.bpgas.co.uk/cylinder.jsp

However, it is by no means clear if the UK bottle is exchangable with same connector in Europe - I have sent an email query to BP but they have not responded yet - as usual!

As for useage I did some tests running everything (Fridge, Water Heater, Trauma Space Heater, BBQ & Hob last year and came up with approx 0.5kg per day. Obviously if you plug into EHU you can subtract some of the gas usage.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I took two full 5Kg bottles to France last year for 5 weeks. I gas BBQ'd slmost every day and used the gas cooker when I didn't. Put the heater on once or twice when it got cold in the early hours of the morning (only a 5a supply so didn't use mains) and came home with enough gas left over to run the BBQ quite a few more times. Homebase include the refills on the 10% days.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Rick

I'm hoping our van will accept all bottle sizes - it's a new Bailey and I'm told by the dealer that all the current bottle types will fit.

How long does a 5kg last you?

Martin
Hi Martin gas usage for us using cooker gas kettle lasts us months, Mother in law stays in van and uses 1x 5 in two days but she has gas heater going non stop.

When weare away we mostly use the heater on electric but often we dont use the heater if it gets too cold we take the dog for awalk that warms us up

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks guys

The man on the BP stand obviously got his offer details wrong! He even sent me round to Practical Caravan to check on the offer - Nigel wasn't aware of it but assumed it must be coming up in the following issue.

I'll check the latest CC mag.

Our new van is a Pageant 7 (Bretagne) so taking all your comments on board re access and 'endurance' I think I'll go for 2 x 5kgs as we wouldn't expect to be on the continent for more than 3 weeks but we'll always have the option of changing one out for a 10kg if required.

Thanks again!

Martin

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Martin

You may get this reply twice as I sent one and it is not showing.

We have BP Gas Lite 2 x 5kg. 2 nearly lasted us for 3 months in Europe last year. We did try to replace one in Austria but at the BP garage you could buy one for a lot of money but not exchange a bottle as they have a different connection. We were then told they refilled the bottles at a site nearby but guess what they could refill our bottle because of the different fitting.

It appears there are about 6 different fittings all over Europe so you just need to make sure you have enough gas to last you. Two bottles have lasted us for 2 months in Europe other years so you should be OK

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Martin

We have BP Gas Lite 2 x 5kg. 2 nearly lasted us for 3 months in Europe last year. We did try to replace one in Austria but at the BP garage you could buy one for a lot of money but not exchange a bottle as they have a different connection. We were then told they refilled the bottles at a site nearby but guess what they could refill our bottle because of the different fitting.

It appears there are about 6 different fittings all over Europe so you just need to make sure you have enough gas to last you. Two bottles have lasted us for 2 months in Europe other years so you should be OK
This should read they could not refill our bottle.

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
I have heard of something called 'Le Cube' gas bottles available in France with same fittings as UK. Is this correct? Anybody know anything about this?

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Martin

hi Dianne

The guy on the BP stand at the NEC did advise that while the bottle was supplied across much of Europe there were various fittings in use so at this time it was unlikely that exchanges on the continent would be possible. This was my concern with regard to choosing the 5 or 10kg.

From what you and others have found it appears that 2 x 5kgs will be fine (and help the nose weight and make for easier access in the locker!)

Thanks

Martin

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Martin

If you go to France with a 10kg and a 5 kg you should be fine. What we did when we went to France was to take a Camping Gaz pigtail as well as Camping Gaz is readily available in France and is the same fittings as in the UK so your bottles are not useless when you get back.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Martin

If you go to France with a 10kg and a 5 kg you should be fine. What we did when we went to France was to take a Camping Gaz pigtail as well as Camping Gaz is readily available in France and is the same fittings as in the UK so your bottles are not useless when you get back.
Thanks Zafiral - I'll look into that - wasn't aware ou could get camping gaz compatible pigtails - sounds like something worth having on board for the continent even if it never gets used!

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
It's settled I think - 2 x 5kgs, and I can change one for a 10kg if I ever manage to trick the family into a caravan ski trip!

Found my gaslight discount coupon in the March CC magazine - if any member is not planning to use theirs I'd love to hear from you....!

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
For Info BP Gas Exchange Europe

If you changed over to BP Gas Light like me in order to be able to exchange in Europe - forget it!!

Finally got a response from BP where they have at last "come clean" on this.... Email reads...

At the present moment the UK is not part of the European Exchange Programme, the same as Poland and Portugal, however this is currently under review. You can purchase a NEW BOTTLE in the following countries , but would not be able to exchange in the UK on your return. Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria. You may require a different regulator/ connector from your local Truma dealer. For more information, please log onto www.bpgaslight.com- European Exchange Programme.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts