Brake pad life

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I bought my BMW new eight years ago and it's now done over 200,000km (125.000 miles) since. In that time it's had two new sets of front and rear brake pads (and one set of new front discs). The rears were done only recently while I was down in Spain. Of the total mileage probably around 20% was towing the caravan (1800kg).

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
On my last Nissan I had a set of Nissan Pads and Discs fitted by the Nissan Dealer. After about 9500 miles I would get severe judder of the steering wheel when breaking. Our local garage, even though they hadn't fitted them, ran a test for me and proved the discs were warped.

The Nissan dealer was given the report and they were replaced under warranty. Not an uncommon problem across all makes and to do with heat dissapation.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I wonder if warped discs are a common factor across all brands? I guess a lot depends on driving style. We had the discs replaced on our first 2005 Jeep which we had bought second hand. Not only warped, but badly scored however mileage was over 80k and we had done about 25k of that +80k mainly towing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if warped discs are a common factor across all brands? I guess a lot depends on driving style. We had the discs replaced on our first 2005 Jeep which we had bought second hand. Not only warped, but badly scored however mileage was over 80k and we had done about 25k of that +80k mainly towing.
I recall reading that by sitting with the brakes on when the discs are hot after braking can lead to discs warping. Modern auto systems could be exacerbating that issue, so could those drivers who habitually sit with their foot on the brake pedal.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The wear on brake pads does depend on how the car is driven so I do avoid heavy braking if I can. I suspect that towing increases the wear rate though as having to stop that extra weight on the back does not help even with over run braking.
My last ones lasted about 40,000 miles though.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The wear on brake pads does depend on how the car is driven so I do avoid heavy braking if I can. I suspect that towing increases the wear rate though as having to stop that extra weight on the back does not help even with over run braking.
My last ones lasted about 40,000 miles though.
I fully agree, you only have to look at the state of your front wheels with the brake dust, after you have been towing, I like to try and have the car and van clean before we go away, but get to a site after maybe 200 miles and the front wheels are covered in brake dust.

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
I went for Pagid which were similar price to any other brand I'd heard of - I suspect there's few actual manufacturers and plenty of re-branding in the brake aftermarket.

When we had our Vauxhall Nova I used Kwik-Fit once and ended up with brake pads that felt like they were made of cardboard - despite their "lifetime" offer I went back to using genuine Vauxhall parts, in those days they regularly had special offers of axle sets of pads/disks at low prices.

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Are the Brembo pads in essence Pagid brake pads? Brembo are highly regarded and come with good reviews.

We live in a rural area down twisty lanes and the A road to get to our twisty lanes is fairly winding with a couple of sharp bends. I expect that the life of the pads on the Jeep will have shorter than normal life expectancy.
Pagid are owned by the TMD group in Dundee if I remember correctly.
as are mintex.textar and Don..whereas brembo roots are Italian..pagid also early pioneers of ceramic brakes.Gary

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Pagid are owned by the TMD group in Dundee if I remember correctly.
as are mintex.textar and Don..whereas brembo roots are Italian..pagid also early pioneers of ceramic brakes.Gary

I’d always considered Pagid to be German, but whatever Hella will market the aftermarket products under their own name but with TMD still manufacturing them.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’d always considered Pagid to be German, but whatever Hella will market the aftermarket products under their own name but with TMD still manufacturing them.

This is the problem with many goods today as you do not know their true current roots and how many times they have been rebranded! You could be paying £10 for the unit or £20 for the same unit, but a different name?

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The old chestnut of towing causes extra wear on the brakes because of the extra load has raised its head again.

With a braked trailer the caravan brakes take the vast majority of the extra braking effect so the additional load on the tow vehicle is barely different to carrying an extra adult.

Also as the typical speed when towing is less than when traveling solo, the actual braking effect needed is reduced.

There should not be any significant increase in car brake wear, just because you tow.

Brake wear variation is principally dictated by the driving style and habits.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The old chestnut of towing causes extra wear on the brakes because of the extra load has raised its head again.

With a braked trailer the caravan brakes take the vast majority of the extra braking effect so the additional load on the tow vehicle is barely different to carrying an extra adult.

Also as the typical speed when towing is less than when traveling solo, the actual braking effect needed is reduced.

There should not be any significant increase in car brake wear, just because you tow.

Most of my towing includes a high proportion of motorway cruising in off-peak conditions where the brakes would only be used once every 2-3 hours when stopping for a break - and even then most of the speed would be absorbed by light engine braking

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site

Also dodgeing pot holes and electric scooter riders in the dark without lights 😊

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

I don't fully agree with your theory, the towing car will probably be more highly loaded with equipment, the car will take a higher braking load initially, until the caravan brakes start to take the braking load.
I have noticed that cars towing , when braking will apply their brakes for a longer period slowing the outfit more slowly than a single car, which will brake for a shorter time .
I do know that the front wheels of my car show appreciably more brake dust when towing than, when solo.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Tmd for what difference it makes
It's confusing - TMD is still owned by Nisshinbo Holdings, a Japanese company, according to Wikipedia - there is/was a joint venture between Hella and TMD known as Hella Pagid where Hella sold rebadged Pagid pads/shoes - Hella seem to have bought out TMD's share in the joint venture

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
It's confusing - TMD is still owned by Nisshinbo Holdings, a Japanese company, according to Wikipedia - there is/was a joint venture between Hella and TMD known as Hella Pagid where Hella sold rebadged Pagid pads/shoes - Hella seem to have bought out TMD's share in the joint venture
I've been lead to believe they was bought out by some company called "aquita".Just out of interest I bought a pair of Bosch windscreen wipers and a valeo. Rear wiper.. surprised me to find the Bosch also made in china Gary

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts