Brake pad life

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've been lead to believe they was bought out by some company called "aquita".Just out of interest I bought a pair of Bosch windscreen wipers and a valeo. Rear wiper.. surprised me to find the Bosch also made in china Gary
What’s wrong with Bosch wiper blades being made in China? If Bosch specify the design and use a high quality manufacturing facility it’s no different to having them made in Germany although no doubt cheaper. Which benefits the purchaser.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What’s wrong with Bosch wiper blades being made in China? If Bosch specify the design and use a high quality manufacturing facility it’s no different to having them made in Germany although no doubt cheaper. Which benefits the purchaser.
I tend to assume that everything is made in China these days - there is the odd exception of course but not many.

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
I tend to assume that everything is made in China these days - there is the odd exception of course but not many.
I didn't anything was wrong . Germany being nearer less transport problem due to possible shipping probs etc .I said I was surprised not traumatized

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Bosch have their own manufacturing facilities in China. I don't think there are any contries of significance where they don't have manufacturing facilities apart from Russia (I believe that they pulled out of Russia recently for obvious reasons).

Reactions: toad a caravan
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
I know it said on the box..😊
Ferodo had a large factory at one time in North Wales somewhere around Queensferry. Don't know if it's still there though..past it many times on way to llanbedrog near abersoch. ,(It's nearer to phewhelli) spellings no doubt wrong I know..went with parents in a trailer tent (Devon trailervette made in Sidmouth)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If made to the same standard then nothing wrong with them being made in China, but the real drawback for the greenies is the impact on the environment being transported from there to wherever.

Secondly it has probably resulted in many people being out of work at its original locations and the government needing to pay benefits and to raise money to pay the benefits, taxes are increased. Thus no one is probably better off with cheaper goods?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If made to the same standard then nothing wrong with them being made in China, but the real drawback for the greenies is the impact on the environment being transported from there to wherever.

Secondly it has probably resulted in many people being out of work at its original locations and the government needing to pay benefits and to raise money to pay the benefits, taxes are increased. Thus no one is probably better off with cheaper goods?
With near record low unemployment levels and labour shortages in western countries due to demographics your statement isnt really supported by the facts.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Are you sure about that and I never said it was fact as I only surmised some possiblities.
Pretty certain of my statement re low unemployment rate.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't fully agree with your theory, the towing car will probably be more highly loaded with equipment, the car will take a higher braking load initially, until the caravan brakes start to take the braking load.
I have noticed that cars towing , when braking will apply their brakes for a longer period slowing the outfit more slowly than a single car, which will brake for a shorter time .
I do know that the front wheels of my car show appreciably more brake dust when towing than, when solo.
Whilst I agree that when towing a caravan it's highly likely the car may have more payload items and thus will be heavier, and that will increase the braking effort the cars brakes need to produce just to slow the car. But that additional load is not induced or transfered from the trailer, and thus does not change my comment.

Provided the caravan's braking system has been correctly maintained the caravan only has to compress the overrun brake actuators expansion spring with a few tens of kgf at which point the caravans brakes begin to apply and work to limit any further significant momentum loading on the tow vehicle caused by harder deceleration, the actual additional load the caravan tries to apply apply cause the caravan brakes to apply harder thus its a feedback loop that works to minimise greater forward loading on the hitch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wonder if the preponderance of ACC might account for the number of cars that kept braking on the M4 last night. I even commented to my wife “there’s a lot of braking going on”. Some cars were showing brake lights for up to 10-15 seconds on a motorway moving at 60 + mph. I can’t imagine why a braking action would take so long.
It's possible. Adaptive Cruise Control can probably be more sensitive in brake application, and it might start to brake more gently and thus longer than a human driver might.

I must admit I would like to know how often my own ACC actually illuminates my brake lights.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I must admit I would like to know how often my own ACC actually illuminates my brake lights.
For a quick and dirty check, a short length of fibre optic cable and a couple of lumps of blue tac will tell you. Loop from the high level brake light to direct light towards you through the rear screen. Many moons ago I think Halfrauds used to sell a brake light monitoring kit that used the same principle.

Alternatively a length of wire connecting your brake light to your horn (Top Gear style) will give you audible feedback. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It's possible. Adaptive Cruise Control can probably be more sensitive in brake application, and it might start to brake more gently and thus longer than a human driver might.

Why would you want to know that as there’s nothing that you can do to modify ACC performance, unlike if you were manually controlling the cars speed and distance from vehicle in front.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Three categories for me
1. Decades driving solo working 30 k pa pads / discs lasted 60k
2. Retired , more local work, but only 8 k pa pads and discs still in fine fettle 8 years on.
3. Towing. Probably the least brake wear of all. Let’s face it , you drive very carefully , plan far further ahead and hardly find the need to brake. So in my case , just to upset the apple cart my brake pads / discs actually last longer towing🤪

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
So why do my my Front wheels on the car show more brake dust when towing , ???
Sorry Prof you have not convinced me about about your theory.
There must , be more inertia absorbed by the car, on the initial braking with the van on the back of a towing vehicle, before the trailer brakes are applied. . Therefore more energy absorbed.
And before the next festive event.
A Happy New Year , in Advance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why would you want to know that as there’s nothing that you can do to modify ACC performance, unlike if you were manually controlling the cars speed and distance from vehicle in front.
Several months ago I was following a vehicle (different make to my own) who's brake lights were flickering on and off with no obvious reason. it was characterised like a poor connection. I hadn't considered the possibility it might have been Adaptive Cruise Control, it was incredibly annoying. I am interested to know if mine act in a similar manner.

Also my vehicle has Auto Hold when the car stops, I don't know if my brake lights remain on when I take my foot of the brake. I would prefer not to unnecessarily dazzle drivers behind. I will work out if its possible to shut the brake lights off when stationary.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There must , be more inertia absorbed by the car, on the initial braking with the van on the back of a towing vehicle, before the trailer brakes are applied. . Therefore more energy absorbed.
If you're correct about the tow vehicle carrying more luggage when towing, then yes the car brakes will have to contend with that additional load.

If you are getting a lot more brake dust when towing, then I'd suggest checking all the other brakes on the tow vehicle and the trailer are working correctly. It could indicate the trailers brakes are not working as well as they should.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My outfit operates as a huge air-brake as soon as the throttle is released so don't actually need to use the brakes very much when towing.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If you're correct about the tow vehicle carrying more luggage when towing, then yes the car brakes will have to contend with that additional load.

If you are getting a lot more brake dust when towing, then I'd suggest checking all the other brakes on the tow vehicle and the trailer are working correctly. It could indicate the trailers brakes are not working as well as they should.
On the brake lights , being ON, with Auto brake on, on my Santa Fe, they are On. I suppose The Elf and Safety people, must have decided on this.

Brakes, the cars brakes , Must, absorbe, the initial energy of both the car and caravan, when braking, before the tow hitch compresses, and then causes the trailer brakes to activate.
I suppose it depend on how much the spring has to be compressed before the trailer brakes are activated.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As per Hutch’s post, also if the caravan braking system (inc tyres) cannot match the cars deceleration then additional braking load would be applied to the car.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts